306 fuel leak
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 fuel leak

Default 306 fuel leak

We have a 2001 306 Rallye which leaks fuel from around where the filler hose joins the fuel tank when the tank is more than about half full. I have cut off the original clamp from where the filler hose joins the tank (non-adjustable) and fitted a screw clamp. Even though this clamp is really tight the leak is still there. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking I may have to drop the tank down to see exactly where the leak is coming from. It seems unlikely that there would be a crack in the tank itself since it is thick moulded plastic.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I think this is probably a rare problem, and agree with your diagnosis that the tank has a hairline crack. Fixing it is probaby going to be a challenge. Might pay to get another one!!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pontarriere View Post
    We have a 2001 306 Rallye which leaks fuel from around where the filler hose joins the fuel tank when the tank is more than about half full. I have cut off the original clamp from where the filler hose joins the tank (non-adjustable) and fitted a screw clamp. Even though this clamp is really tight the leak is still there. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking I may have to drop the tank down to see exactly where the leak is coming from. It seems unlikely that there would be a crack in the tank itself since it is thick moulded plastic.
    find out if the car was returned for a recall for this problem and see if you can still get it done if not
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon9 Had this problem...

Had this problem. It can be the join, as per the recall, can also be other issues.

Remove the inner wheel guard and wash out with a high pressure hose. You get a lot of built up road dirt under there, over the filler hose and tank breather. you can then see if you have a leak in the filler hose, or the connector.

Mine had had the fuller replace as per the recall a few years ago, and then developed another leak...

I found a tiny hole caused by a stone working its' way in over time. The hole had a 1mm diameter, so i chose to fix/fill it rather than replace the whole thing. I used petrol proof gasket cement to fill the hole and wrapped the whole thing in cloth tape to hold it until the gasket cement cured. Left the car for 24 hours so that fuel didn't splash into the filler pipe, and it was perfect. Over a year later... still perfect.

But I wasn't sure where the hole was until I removed the wheel and wheel arch, climbed under the car and had my wife pour petrol in via a jerry can. Then as it began to leak, I could finally work out where the hole was. The location of my hole meant dropping the tank to replace the whole filler line. Hence why a repair was worth trying. If your leak is further up towards the filler, you might only need to separate the join and replace the top section. If it is the top section, it might be the part that was supposed to be fix in the recall. If you go to a dealer, any Peugeot dealer, they can ring Peugeot Australia who can determine if yours had been fixed or not.

But this is definitely a known problem with this car.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Default Thanks for the advice guys

Thanks everyone for your advice - checked with Peugeot Australia and our car has not had the recall fix, so we will book it in with a dealer and get the work done free!
    Good result!

Is this just a common problem for the Rallye? Or the GTi6 as well? Just getting a general knowledge of the GTi6 so I can look out for common problems along the way (:
    Just figured that the Rallye is just the stripped version of the 6 that they would have identical if not similar faults.
    Brad
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

Thread Information