Removing power steering
  • Register
  • Help
    PDJ

Default Removing power steering

Hi Guys

I have an S3 205 GTI that I'm planning on tarting up and doing an engine conversion on.
    I would like to loose the PAS. Is it a simple case of binning the old system and installing a manual rack or is there more to it? Would I be best using an S1/S2 rack or is the Si the same too?

Advertisement

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, other than for racing. Even then, I've left it in on my race car as it's so good. Most people want to upgrade their early cars to PAS.

The lock-lock ratio is much better in the PAS rack. If you remove the assistance, steering will be a lot heavier at lower speeds but still drivable. If you wish to proceed you'll need to make/buy some bungs to block off the inlet/outlets on the rack, in addition to removing the ram.

Why don't you want PAS?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

PDJ

My plan (long term) is to go with forced induction on the engine conversion so I'm thinking the extra space will be handy. The weight saved is also a bonus. I'll be ditching the AC also along with putting the battery in the boot.
    I've had a GTI with a manual rack and whilst it was heavy when parking on the road it felt great.

So, I don't need a new rack. I can just adapt the PAS rack.

That would be one scarey car to drive.
    All that power and a heavy steering which equates to slow compensation to torque steer.
    My S1 Mi16 Gti has non power assisted steering and the heaviness of the steering detracts from the driveability I feel.
    The Si with power steer and pepperpots is so much more chuckable.
    If you remove the power assistance from your present rack you will have even heavier steering than a S1 GTi because the PAS rack is quicker (ie less turns lock to lock).

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.

Fit an electric pump if space is an issue. Cam85 had a PAS rack without assistance. I drove it and it was ok, but I prefer it with assistance. Ask him for his opinion.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Wider wheels as you will probably get if you want to race on tarmac won't help with steering either. I too am looking at going power steering, and my car is just a bog stock early GTI. I do have have the wider 15" wheels/tires off an S3 so that makes a bit of difference, not much but I am probably getting old too.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by PDJ View Post
    Hi Guys

I have an S3 205 GTI that I'm planning on tarting up and doing an engine conversion on.
    I would like to loose the PAS.
    Why would you want to loosen the power steering? Perhaps you could put a kit through it replacing seals etc but it wouldn't loosen it? Seems very odd?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I think he meant losing rather than loosening....

PDJ

The weight and feel I got through the non pas 205 was great. Parking took a bit more effort but once you got going I thought it was better than with the PAS. It's only going to be used to blast around the Old Pacific HWY, playing with Power Rangers on bikes.
    I have another S3 with a moon roof which I plan to keep standard and restore so the other one I can play about with more.
    I'm still in the "thinking in the bath" stage as I still have to finish my Moke off. Once that is all done though I'll be looking at starting the modded pug.

8v Turbo?
    GTI6?
    EW? (Magic Engine Mounts?)
    Worked S16?
    Who knows
    My thinking was whatever I do space will be tight and losing the PAS will free up some ever valuable space. Plus I liked not having the PAS on my previous 205.

A worked S16 with a GTi6 inlet manifold would be my pick. Best kW/$.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I loved my mi16'd 205 with no power steer until parking. I would have it for that and that alone.
    Pas isn't that much less feel.

PDJ

Quote Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
    I loved my mi16'd 205 with no power steer until parking. I would have it for that and that alone.
    Pas isn't that much less feel.
    Parking won't be an issue.

In the moon roof 205 I must have dont less than 200 kms in the past 12 months.
    The amount of times I'd have to get the spinach out is negligible. New baby's don't give you much time for cars.

I suppose an S16 engine would be cheaper and easier to come across. The money saved could go towards go faster bits

I beg your pardon, i wasnt paying enough attention and I should have read your post more thoroughly.
    At high speed I would be quite interested in the feel of a non Pas s3 rack.

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    I think he meant losing rather than loosening....
    Oh, I see

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information