205 Odometer woes
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 Odometer woes

Gday,

After acting up for a few weeks it appears that my odometer has finally stopped ticking over. I know a few people will probably chime in that this is one problem you don't wanna fix but for the sake of service intervals I want to get it spinning once again. The trip meter is moody but generally works as long as it isn't reset whilst the engine is running.

I took the instrument binnacle out once before but couldn't figure out how to get at the inner workings of the odometer. Does anyone have any experience with this? I searched the www and the foum and couldn't find much on this topic (not even on GTI Drivers).

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

BTW the car is a series 3 205 GTI.

Advertisement

maybe just a speedo cable? or has the needle dropped off?

Tadpole

The needles are fine. The mileage on the odometer doesn't turn over.

I.e. I know how fast I'm going but not how far.

the inner workings can be accessed but it's a pig of a job.

You need to take the cluster out, take all the bulbs out, peel off the foils carefully after you took all the little brass nuts out and the back plastic (white) which clips into the glass (transparent plastic). You will find then that the dials are in four sections, one at left with the oil pressure gauge and fuel gauge, one in the middle with the speedo, one with the tacho, and one with the oil temperature and the coolant temperature. You can replace just the one which is faulty if you have a spare, or try to fix it once you pull it out of the assembly.

Good luck.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphWiggum View Post
    The needles are fine. The mileage on the odometer doesn't turn over.

I.e. I know how fast I'm going but not how far.
    ah yes i here you now, i just didnt read the original post properly

Fellow Frogger!

I had the trip meter fail in my old Si, and to repair it I had to remove the odometer mechanism.

It was fairly straight forward from what I can remember, but to remove the mechanism I had to take off the needle from the shaft. I used a piece of polypropylene (from a document wallet or similar) with a slit in it, that I could slip under the needle and pull it directly upwards from both sides. Remember to mark the correct orientation of the needle somehow. Then undo the two screws either side of the needle.

I don't remember a way to remove each instrument set without removing needles, but this may either be model differences.

Also, don't turn the instrument panel, or the speedo, upside down. I have heard that there is some dampening fluid or somesuch that might leak - dunno if it's true but why risk it?

The problem with the trip meter was a broken bit of plastic on the end of the reset button, and I wouldn't be surprised if broken plastic is the culprit here, so be careful not to loose any tiny bits floating around inside. Fix with 'super glue' (clean very well).

Some pictures:
    205 Odometer woes-instrumentbinnacle_out.jpg

205 Odometer woes-needle.jpg

205 Odometer woes-odo_tripmeter.jpg

Hope this helps.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Default pm sent

pm sent: Ive a couple of spares if anybody wants one

Tadpole

Thanks so much for all of those replies. I'll print out those instructions, give the thing a shake and let you all know how I go.

Thread Information