306 S16 top radiator hose PLEASE READ :)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 S16 top radiator hose PLEASE READ :)

G'day all

Please view the picture below, this is the hose in question. It broke and I gathered a second hand one off a wreck, however, due the maneuvering, it started leaking from the T piece.

So my problem is simple. I have a very well maintained and running S16 with no top radiator hose. Peugeot have stopped making this hose and the last run they did was pricy. $467 a piece.

Now i know Samco make a set. I have tried a US dealer and they no longer stock them. I am currently in contact with a company called Merlin UK. Still waiting for a reply. I have also tried to contact many other places with no reply.

Advertisement

I have found one at a wrecker, however, it was in poor condition.

Has anyone on here made up a custom set-up or ordered a kit online? Or does anyone have a spare or know of a wrecker that has a good one?

All help would be appreciated as the car is sitting in my driveway rusting away . So very frustrating!

I noticed a couple of threads not so long ago
    with people selling parts of their S16's.
    Maybe a quick search could be helpful.
    Probably best bet will be from the U.K.

Good luck,I hope you get one soon.
    Andrew

Thanks buddy, already tried those avenues.

BUMP!

Ok... you ve gotta think outside the square with this one... No way in hell I d pay the silly figures some have quoted for this hose (I was quoted around 900 for one from regans many years ago...infuc3ensane).
    Not gonna happen.... So... if I were you I d go to your local repco, supercheap, bursons, autobarn.... whatever... you get friendly with the guy or girl behind the counter and ask for help... what you need to do is make one hose out of many... the T connectors are readily available from many places (aluminum race spec) or plain cast metal/plastic from people like purple pig... Grab the hose, demand satisfaction (nicely)...offer some beer even... and I reckon you can get that hose made up for around the fifty dollar mark... your call... but if you put your mind to it...its a piece of cake... you just have to have access to a hose rack and a creative mind...

cheers and good luck

dino

http://www.purplepig.com.au/

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Exactly. Totally agree. By using yours as a sample, go to the shop and, first, find out the ID (Internal Diameter) of the hose. (the three diameters)

Then, (I would use the example of a classical and very cheap spares, as these cars were sold by years in Argentina), get:

- one heating hose of Renault 12 left.
    - one radiator upper hose of 404 earlier model
    - one chevrolet corsa hose from filling receptacle to the pump.

this is just an example, and find out the shapes of the hose you need, by having them in front of you, and cut them where needed, to fit it.

And with a Tee connector (In this case I prefer steel or brass, not plastic), and proper clamps (stainless stell, if possible) you make the piece you need. For sure, this kind of hoses here in Argentina, are higher than 250-300 dollars, and by using this technique, you get it for less than 50-60.

Regards,

PS: Dino, are you sure that you've never lived here, in the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

My local exhaust guy is handy at fabricating odd stuff out of pipe, Stainless steel or plain steel.
    His press had the right attachments to make make the flared ends so the hose doesn't come of under pressure, and making it up as he goes along is part of his job description.

If you have a good old school exhaust guy local, ask him for a quote.
    You might be surprised at how affordable it is and it will be a very permanent fix.

Jo

http://www.samcosport.com/row/car_kits.asp?make=Peugeot

Scroll to the bottom and Samco has listed they have a set for S16. Not sure what is MK4 though.....

surprisingly in Samco's price list it was listed for 306 XSi instead of S16...........
    306 S16

Thanks for all the posts!

Think outside the box you say...?

View below.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

YEAH!
    Viking style! ARRRRHHH

(Although I think that could have been doing without so many couplings... but, Is ok if no leakage)

It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

excellent... perhaps a little bit overdone (its a peugeot not a refinery)... but yeahhhhh I approve... your power to weight has been altered somewhat... but who cares... she drives...

dino

Indeed. Now you need a turbocharger to gain the acceleration you've lost with the extra weight

Just kidding, great job.

And? How much was the entire set?

I just realised the radiator hose is facing the wrong way in the top picture (should be facing down instead of up like the original). Anyway I gather you can grasp the outcome.

All the fittings were separately ground down to cater for each hose diameter, teflon tape added to the threads.

Hose $3
    Fittings $20 something?
    Original hose bits $free
    Soft drink $4

Quote Originally Posted by HOT306 View Post
    I just realised the radiator hose is facing the wrong way in the top picture (should be facing down instead of up like the original). Anyway I gather you can grasp the outcome.

All the fittings were separately ground down to cater for each hose diameter, teflon tape added to the threads.

Hose $3
    Fittings $20 something?
    Original hose bits $free
    Soft drink $4
    Nah, nah, nah.

WRONG!!!

.... Soft drink?? A repair of this magnitude, need AT LEAST one good beer.

Fellow Frogger!

Dont be slack, I still think you need to put some black paint on it ............... !!

Did you ever get a response from any of the places selling the samco hose kits?

Quote Originally Posted by figs View Post
    Did you ever get a response from any of the places selling the samco hose kits?
    Merlin Motorsport in the UK

cheers

you can make one up like this, not worth paying $260 plus pounds!

Thread Information