Back down to earth and the mundane problems of 205GTIs
  • Register
  • Help

Default Back down to earth and the mundane problems of 205GTIs

Well, I am back and the problems I had before I left didn't fix themselves as I hoped.

I still can't start the car, but I tested and the fuel pump works (cranked with fuel supply hose disconnected and a decent squirt comes out), so I will need to chase spark. The way I normally do it is by hooking my strobe to each plug in turn and cranking a bit. If there is no pulse, the light doesn't fire. Of course this doesn't mean the plug is good, but it's the easiest to do as a quick check. At least it checks the coil and dizzy work. If this doesn't show anything, I check the coil to dizzy lead. If that doesn't fire, I check the + supply to coil with my trusty multimeter. Please let me know if you see a problem I may have overlooked.

I will pull the plugs too.

Is there anything else to look at?

Later edit

Advertisement

Nevermind everybody.

Turns out I am an idiot, which everybody who has known me for a while already knew, I guess.

The coil high tension wire slid off the dizzy and there was no spark, dang idiot. Was still resting there in place, the operative word here being resting.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Well at least it was a nice simple fix and you did find it yourself.
    Is the motor purring?

Like your method for checking spark, will keep that in mind.

Paul

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

Oh, yeah, it runs nicely. Just annoyed because I have these lumenition plug/coil leads which are really nice, but I greased them with silicone grease so they don't get stuck on the dizzy and rip when I try to pull them off, as it happened in the past. The silicone also stops water ingression which I found is a problem with dizzy caps/coils contacts.

The problem here is these lead boots are not as tight as others and compounding to that, the dizzy contacts point to the side and a bit down. On the BMW, they point up, so it's a bit more difficult to be wobbled off by engine vibrations. That and the lead boots are a lot tighter, so they never gave me any grief.

The spark checking method is just the normal course of action for the lazy prick I am.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

Two simple diagnostic tools for every do it yourselfer... An old fashioned neon type timing light and an LED pulse tester. When the engine cranks but won't fire, unplug an injector wire and attach the LED, crank the engine and observe the LED, if it flashes then the triggering voltage to the injector is ok. Then remove a H/T lead and connect in the neon timing light, crank engine, if timing light flashes then the ign system is ok. This also eliminates the possibility of a faulty TDC sensor.

Now we know the fuel and ignition systems are operational, so maybe it is lack of fuel? ( that is assuming the tank is not empty and the gauge is not faulty) ... An EASY way to diagnose if it is a lack of fuel to the injectors, give it a squirt of AeroStart down the air intake, if it fires up then dies away you know your problem is fuel delivery related, either blockage or pump fault

Thanks, Rod, I will have a look around for the LED impulse tester.

Engine runs fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    Two simple diagnostic tools for every do it yourselfer... An old fashioned neon type timing light and an LED pulse tester. When the engine cranks but won't fire, unplug an injector wire and attach the LED, crank the engine and observe the LED, if it flashes then the triggering voltage to the injector is ok. Then remove a H/T lead and connect in the neon timing light, crank engine, if timing light flashes then the ign system is ok. This also eliminates the possibility of a faulty TDC sensor.

Now we know the fuel and ignition systems are operational, so maybe it is lack of fuel? ( that is assuming the tank is not empty and the gauge is not faulty) ... An EASY way to diagnose if it is a lack of fuel to the injectors, give it a squirt of AeroStart down the air intake, if it fires up then dies away you know your problem is fuel delivery related, either blockage or pump fault
    Now a pulse tester is a good idea! Thanks for that. Jaycar visit coming up I presume?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information