307 brake switch
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 brake switch

Hi,

I think i have a faulty brake switch as when I brake the ABS, speed warnings come on and cruise is disabled.

This was happening every now and then, but now more frequent. Just wondering if this was easy to replace & roughly how much?

Cheers

Advertisement

can also be faulty or dirty ABS sensor
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

I had the cruise control shutting down regularly, not the other symptoms.
    I asked at service and they quoted about $300 - half for the part, the balance labour.

There is a modification here as part of the change - a short different piece of wiring loom, and the switch. The loom adapter is because the new switch has a different plug on it. (so I'm told.)

This is a common fault on 307 and 308.

To check - in a darkened garage, apply the brakes several times, slowly and gently whilst watching through the rear view mirror for the glow of the brake lights. (ignition on, engine off so you don't poison yourself.) In my case the switch was slightly erratic - about one time in ten I could lightly apply the brake without the lights coming on.

I had a look at my car myself, as I was pi$$ed off that once again, the extended warranty didn't cover a failed component. (It hasn't covered anything yet, despite several failed bits...)

The brake light switch is on the Passenger side, under the glovebox. (on RHD cars)

To get at it, you remove the three little plugs that attach the "carpet" trim under the glovebox. Lift out the piece of trim. It isn't real carpet, sort of black fluff surface over plastic or cardboard.
    Now you can see the brake light switch under the glovebox, it is green plastic.
    With ignition OFF you can remove the switch by turning it a bit to the left, then pull out. (a simple bayonet fitting.) It is still attached to the wiring loom .

On mine I sprayed some "Servisol Electrical Clean and Lube" into the switch. The spray cleaner is available from Jaycar Electronics stores, it is catalogue number NA-1012.
    On mine a tiny speck of black muck came out of the switch.
    Maybe that helped??
    Try it at your own risk, but it worked for me.

Next thing to look at is the adjustment of the switch.
    It is used on several Peugeot models, and the switch can be adjusted to suit each.
    The switch has a plastic body (mine is green) and a plastic plunger (beige on mine.)
    The plunger is in two parts, they click together. There are a lot of splines along the plunger, you can pull the plunger out to be a bit longer, or push it in to be shorter. Each notch of the spline is a notch to adjust the plunger length.
    On mine it was a whisker short (or is it long - too late in the night for clear thought...) so the brake pedal could be applied enough to brake slightly before the brake light switch activated. By resetting the adjustment,(zip the plunger in or out to adjust) I got it so that the brake light switch came on a fraction before the brakes did anything, and the brake light went off reliably when the pedal is released.

The service manager had told me the reason the car computer was switching off the cruise control was that the computer was observing the car slowing down consistent with application of brakes, but the brake light not activating - pretty clever, really.

Having cleaned the switch with Servisol spray contact cleaner and lube, then refitted the switch and carefully adjusting the plunger length, my brake light switch is now working perfectly and I have had no further instances of the cruise control going off.

Don't forget to re-fit the switch and the carpet trim.

Tadpole

Wow, thanks simca for such a detailed response. Much appreciated.

I will try cleaning the switch first.

Cheers
    Michael

Tadpole

Took the switch out and sprayed some cleaner and Re-adjusted the plunger.

Touch wood but so far so good (would have definitely happened by now).

Simca

Fellow Frogger!

just a quick addendum - note my earlier post about the fix was in december 2011.
    It is now March 2012 and I have had no trouble at all since the fix, so it looks like it is cured. Touch wood.

Thread Information