• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By New2Pugs

Thread: 406 coupe v6 starter motor

Default 406 coupe v6 starter motor

Hi All,

2002 - 406 COUPE V6 (manual)

Well the starter motor has started "clicking" and looks like its replacement time.
    Everything else is ok - Battery fully charged etc.

Advertisement

So a couple of questions!

I assume its the same as a V6 sedan?

What's the easiest way to get it out?

Do I have to remove the front exhaust and exhaust manifold?

OR is there a web site that I can refer to?

Thanks in advance
    Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 27th December 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Just make sure it is not your battery terminals.
    Had the battery replaced recently by RACQ in my 406 coupe and two weeks later no start and clicking sound.

Traced it to the battery terminal which is different from most other cars. It unscrews from a threaded collar that is pushed onto the battery post....the RACQ guy did not tap this collar down hard enough so it was giving intermittent problems.

Long story short...I had a fully charged battery ... the starter only clicked but was OK

I hope it is as simple as that for you

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Just make sure it is not your battery terminals.
    Had the battery replaced recently by RACQ in my 406 coupe and two weeks later no start and clicking sound.

Traced it to the battery terminal which is different from most other cars. It unscrews from a threaded collar that is pushed onto the battery post....the RACQ guy did not tap this collar down hard enough so it was giving intermittent problems.

Long story short...I had a fully charged battery ... the starter only clicked but was OK

I hope it is as simple as that for you

Very good point - I will double check this before tackling the starter.
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Very good point - I will double check this before tackling the starter.
    Thanks for the advice
    My thoughts exactly. Check every connection, and also check the battery voltage under load. Starter motors always amaze me with their reliability!

Provided it isn't Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" of course....... I think that at one time in South Australia 90% of RAA roadside assist calls were jammed or failed Lucas starters as fitted to Datsun models - the 1600 and the dreaded 120Y.

Hope that fixes it easily.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Roland,
    Get rid of the "collar" type battery lead/clamp. A source of problems with older model Peugeot / Renault models. Their only good point is the quick release facility in case of a short. Oh and the hole for adapting the trouble light.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 27th December 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Roland,
    Get rid of the "collar" type battery lead/clamp. A source of problems with older model Peugeot / Renault models. Their only good point is the quick release facility in case of a short. Oh and the hole for adapting the trouble light.
    Quite agree - they are neat but a bit too cute unless new. What's more, you can buy perfectly good "clamp on" terminals that also have a quick release/isolate switch from all the places like SuperCheap, as I've done.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Default Need a replacement Starter for my 2002 D9 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Quite agree - they are neat but a bit too cute unless new. What's more, you can buy perfectly good "clamp on" terminals that also have a quick release/isolate switch from all the places like SuperCheap, as I've done.

Double checked all the connections with no improvement.
    So finally decided the starter had to come out.

Wasn't too difficult.

Disconnect the battery.
    Remove the heat shield from the top of the front exhaust manifold (5 X 10mm Bolts) and access and remove the 3 exhaust down pipe nuts from their studs.
    Jack the car up and support on stands.
    Remove the front section of exhaust pipe. (Undo clamp where Exhaust pipe joins to second section just behind sump).
    Remove the heat shield in front of the starter - 2 X 10mm bolts.
    Then there is sufficient room to remove the 3 starter motor bolts that hold the motor onto the block.
    There is now enough room to get the motor out after wiggling it round to enable access to the cable conections. (Access would be easier if the oil filter was also removed.)

So did all that then tested the motor straight onto the battery - Solenoid worked but that was all.

Dismantled the beast and found heaps of dust and particles inside.
    Two of the permanent magnets had shattered and the bits had jamed the armature solid.

So I am now looking for a replacement.

As far as I can research the D9 V6 engines, whether coupe or sedan, had the same starter:
    It's a Valeo: D6 RA 107
    Pug part Number: 5802 W6

And of course I need it yesterday!

Anyone know of a motor - please let me know or pass on my details:
    Mob: 0424059379

Many thanks in advance
    Roland

Last edited by Roland; 30th December 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Wasn't too difficult.

Disconnect the battery.
    Remove the heat shield from the top of the front exhaust manifold (5 X 10mm Bolts) and access and remove the 3 exhaust down pipe nuts from their studs.
    Remove the front section of exhaust pipe. (Undo clamp where Exhaust pipe joins to second section just behind sump).
    Then there is sufficient room to remove the 3 starter motor bolts that hold the motor onto the block.
    There is now enough room to get the motor out after wiggling it round to enable access to the cable conections. (Access would be easier if the oil filter was also removed.)

So did all that then tested the motor straight onto the battery - Solenoid worked but that was all.

One of the permanent magnets had shattered and the bits had jamed the armature solid.

As far as I can research the D9 V6 engines, whether coupe of sedan, had the same starter:

Many thanks in advance
    Roland

Bad luck with the outcome and the timing Roland! I'd contact David Cavanagh at French Connection apart from phoning Allpike here in Perth. You never know, Corado at Eurocare might have one, but I think he's shut until 9 January. The worst week for this to happen!

There must be someone open on the east coast - overnight by courier - but I'm not sure who.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

UFO

If it is like the last time I replaced the starter on our ex XM, the actual motor itself was identical to a second hand BX one I had on the shelf in the garage. I quickly swapped the motors over on the mounting brackets and all was good. These days the magnets are glued into the body of the motor and the glue gives up with heat and age and dislodges then jams.

So if someone happens to have another starter motor sitting around spare......
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    If it is like the last time I replaced the starter on our ex XM, the actual motor itself was identical to a second hand BX one I had on the shelf in the garage. I quickly swapped the motors over on the mounting brackets and all was good. These days the magnets are glued into the body of the motor and the glue gives up with heat and age and dislodges then jams.

That must be what happened.
    The motor is literally only 2 finger thicknesses from the exhaust pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Great hint.

Looked around my spare 405 and 306 motors and found on a 1.9 306 motor the exact same size starter motor casing with intact magnets. (Identical part!)

Gave everything a good clean - put all the good bits together and it worked perfectly.

Is now back in the car and I'm mobile again.

Excellent.

So many thanks to all for suggestions, advice and help - UFO gets the prize this time!

UFO

Great hint.

Looked around my spare 405 and 306 motors and found on a 1.9 306 motor the exact same size starter motor casing with intact magnets. (Identical part!)

Gave everything a good clean - put all the good bits together and it worked perfectly.

Is now back in the car and I'm mobile again.

Excellent.

So many thanks to all for suggestions, advice and help - UFO gets the prize this time!

Thanks - I'm glad I was able to assist.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Wasn't too difficult.

Disconnect the battery.

Two of the permanent magnets had shattered and the bits had jamed the armature solid.

As far as I can research the D9 V6 engines, whether coupe or sedan, had the same starter:

Many thanks in advance
    Roland

Thanks for the procedure - my starter was struggling (with a new battery), so I pulled it out. The exhaust clamp was the hardest bit to remove but muscles won!
    Taking the back off (where the bushes are), it was full of carbon and the brushes were literally 'down to the wire'. New brushes were ordered online from Buy starter, alternator and spare parts. Shipping Worldwide. (Ukraine!) but the Cargo brushes received were made in Italy... Cost was only ~AUD15 mailed (2 weeks delivery). The alternative was a complete new starter and labour - guess ~$750. Thank you, dear internet.
    addo likes this.

Happy to be of help!

Tadpole

Hello all, would anyone know whether the starter motor in a 2001 V6 Peugeot D9 sedan would be the same as for a 1997 Peugeot V6 D8 coupe? Cheers, Julian

1000+ Posts

No reason to believe it would be different.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

It looks the same - possibly part number: 5802 N4 OR 5802 W6 as I posted earlier.

But no Guarantees

We really need VIN numbers to be accurate.
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

It will work. Most those v6 starter motors interchange. We've put 406 ones on 607s and vise versa.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    It will work. Most those v6 starter motors interchange. We've put 406 ones on 607s and vise versa.
    Likewise, in fact my 607 currently has a 406 starter, and my 406 has a C5 starter!

I do have to disagree with the procedure listed above to change the starter. I've never had to remove the exhaust or the exhaust heat shields to change the starter, only the small heat shield screwed to the side of the starter with two 10mm bolts. The whole operation is done from under the car, and takes about 15 minutes.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

My starter motor failed recently at 100,000km in a D9 406 Coupe 5 speeder. It is a Valeo smaller sized unit. Was quoted about NZ$250 to recondition it but was able to find an after market unit for $280, so went with that. Stripped the old Valeo starter today to find brushes barely half worn but all the ferrite magnets broken off the rotor. Virtually all my driving the coupe has been long distance hot running, so fewer starting operations but perhaps more heat exposure to starter. It is very close to exhaust. I have owned my coupe for 9 years and have done only 26,000km but dont use it around town as I have a 306 Cabrio 2.0. I have never had to change a plug or a coil in that time. Remarkable. Been the most reliable Pug owned apart from my '70 404, powered by a recoed 504 2.0 engine

Heya gang, just wanted to share so it might help someone else. I've just changed the starter motor on my 1999 406 V6 Auto wagon and its relatively straight forward. Demannu is right. You can get to it from under the front of the car and you only need to pull the heat shield plate off. The right combination of spanners and sockets should have it off in 15 mins or less.
    Also, the starter I put on was from a 98 and looked a little different but is working fine. The brushes on mine were down to the bone. The car's done just over 205k but I've no idea if the starter's ever been done.
    Anyway, hope this helps someone.
    Jase

Hi Demannu, I notice you have a 99 406 Coupe(a D8?) with a retro fitted ES9J4S with megasquirt 2 running VVT & 5 speed manual. Pardon my ignorance but please would you explain that engine & its spec? A Peugeot mill obviously but I am curious. I attended a 406 Coupe club annual meet at Donington track in 2011 when in UK on vacation. Saw many Coupes with highly modified exhausts, many re-chipped and some with inlet manifold mods, bigger injectors. The car I travelled up from Brighton certainly accelerated faster than my standard D9 and sounded much better, it had a modified exhaust & had been rechipped, it was a D8 V6. Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16freak View Post
    Hi Demannu, I notice you have a 99 406 Coupe(a D8?) with a retro fitted ES9J4S with megasquirt 2 running VVT & 5 speed manual. Pardon my ignorance but please would you explain that engine & its spec? A Peugeot mill obviously but I am curious. I attended a 406 Coupe club annual meet at Donington track in 2011 when in UK on vacation. Saw many Coupes with highly modified exhausts, many re-chipped and some with inlet manifold mods, bigger injectors. The car I travelled up from Brighton certainly accelerated faster than my standard D9 and sounded much better, it had a modified exhaust & had been rechipped, it was a D8 V6. Thanks mate.
    How was it rechipped? Where they get it done? Sorry to take it off topic a bit!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16freak View Post
    G'day,

The ES9J4S is the later model V6 engine, with the plastic manifold and VVT. It was fitted to 406s from late 2000 onwards. It made 152kw, over the earlier engine's 143kw. It was a development of the earlier engines to meet the new Euro 3 emission standards. The engine was revised again in 2005 to meet the Euro 4 standards. This engine was called the ES9A, and made 155kw.

I've actually removed the ES9J4S motor from my car now, and built a hybrid of the two. I have the early bottom end, as it has far superior oil breathing capabilities, but I have fitted the late model Porsche-tuned heads. I have used the earlier model camshafts, and disabled the VVT. I have the earlier (single cat) exhaust system and cable-driven throttle body. The best of both worlds!

It gets up and moves quite well! It has the same push in the back at 3000rpm as a 1.9 Mi16, but multiplied by same order of magnitude as the difference in displacement!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information