First 5000kms in 308 HDI Wagon.
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default First 5000kms in 308 HDI Wagon.

I have had the car for just a few months now and it is using between 5.5 and 7.0 l/100km. I am a professional driver so I tend to be as smooth as I can when driving.

I have had the windows tinted one grade into illegal so the air conditioning works a treat.

The motor has been slightly upgraded by altering configurations on the computer. On a dynameter,(spelling) it now has 128kw and 360nm.

This is easily removable for servicing, warranty etc. While being driven in D you can detect a difference when attempting to climb a hill. It does not run out of puff and change back, and because it does not change back this is is one of the reasons I have very good fuel economy at this new stage.

It has a Porsche type transmission, which is very smooth and quick to change, and when it accelerates in Ds, it changes the dynamics of the car completely.You would think it is a different car.

I have lower profile tyres and bigger wheels on the car which probably adds to the stability while taking corners.

I am using BP fuel as seem to have read that it is by far the cleanest and most beneficial fuel for a diesel, something I heard was that the sulphur content was very low.

Very comfortable seating for 5. Bluetooth, cruise and speed limiter get a workout.

Overall it is probably a 9/10 car, so far.

Just some minor stuff, it has a relatively larger turning circle than should be (in my opinion) and the brake pads are the dirty type, ie. the alloys need to be cleaned quite often.
    Also it could have more storage space etc.

During first free service, I requested to be present and they did a extensive check,(maybe because I was present) and did not require an oil top up.

Leaving for North Queensland tonight, so we will see how we go.

Forwarded for P informainiacs.

Merry Xmas and have a safe New Year/

Cheers

Advertisement

Tadpole

Default Continuation from previous post.....

Back from Queensland................

From Sydney to Surfers Paradise on one tank of fuel, with 190 km range left in the tank, according to the on board screen readout.

Vehicle was chocablock full of holiday gear with 3 adults on board. Front seats were extra extra comfortable, back seat not so much, which is the same with most cars.

Chunks of power going up hills or overtaking no problems.

Drove around Qld past Surfers and beyond, absolutely no problems.
    Purchased a Car Bra before we left Sydney, was a great investment, came back with the car bra full of squashed insects and minor stones embedded into the mesh.

Did not check running around fuel use past Surfers, however, tried a bit of ecodriving coming back and had 225km left in tank when we came back.

Cons...just the rather large turning circle but I think its all relative to what you have been driving before.

Average fuel use overall for trip was 5.5-6.0 ltre/100km, very happy with that.
    Added 1 cup of oil, extremely minimal, at end of trip.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Xantia; 19th January 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Additional info

Nice economy!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Sounding good. My Citroen C3 has a shocking turning circle also on it. Not sure why?

maybe the road is too narrow

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Sounding good. My Citroen C3 has a shocking turning circle also on it. Not sure why?
    Daniel - what are you on about, the C3 is fantastic!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Tadpole

In WA, l thought ALL distillate came from the BP refinery Kwinana and sold also as Caltex, Shell, Wooworths etc. with exactly same (low) sulfur content. Exception being Gull Biodiesel which is a 20% blend perhaps not suitable for Peugeot Renault etc? I am not sure about refineries on east coast. WA members may correct me? I read somewhere low sulfur will impact ultimately on the lubrication of the injector pump, or does this apply only to older pumps?

WRT engine oil, will you leave the factory fill oil in for 20k or 12 months? or will you change it sooner (along with the filter). If sooner, what oil will you use? eg Penrite Enviro plus DL1?

Regards,
    Ken.

RE the large turning circle...
    My 308 HDi 6 speed manual had a large turning circle compared to my previous pugs and I was told it was because of the 6 spd gearbox in that it's a bigger unit than the older 5 speeders which means it cant turn the wheels as much before they hit lock,
    This may also apply to the auto boxes as well ??

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Daniel - what are you on about, the C3 is fantastic!
    If you turn the steering wheel to the right doing a full turn its terrible. I just had to do it this morning too.

I bought a 308 hdi touring 2nd hand fron C'berra for one of my kids. Was thinking about doing the oil and filter changes myself. Has anyone looked into oil filter prices? Curious whether Focus diesel filters would be cheaper than Pug..someone told me the motors were the same? Any suggestions for servicing in Newcastle/Gosford area?

Genuine filters are dirt cheap from Pug - no need to buy anything else.

The fuel consumption of your auto sounds pretty typical - just a bit higher than the manual. I've posted plenty of times before about the manual getting 5.1 L/100 over a tank sitting with the cruise on 120km/h on the motorway. We recently did a very short trip from Sydney metro to Bowral back country - approx 300km's - and averaged 4.7 L/100 - again with the car full and sitting with the cruise on 120. I'm not a professional driver and tend to push more for average speed rather than economy.

Interesting that your car is short of storage - I wonder if the newer ones are different ? We have door pockets, seat back pockets, centre console locker, center console tray, dash pocket / tray, glove box, and under seat storage - plenty I reckon.

Of course one of the great pleasures of the 2.0L HDi motor is the lazy way it pulls up hills. Once over 80km/h there is never a need to change down a gear !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfanatic View Post
    In WA, l thought ALL distillate came from the BP refinery Kwinana and sold also as Caltex, Shell, Wooworths etc. with exactly same (low) sulfur content. Exception being Gull Biodiesel which is a 20% blend perhaps not suitable for Peugeot Renault etc? I am not sure about refineries on east coast. WA members may correct me? I read somewhere low sulfur will impact ultimately on the lubrication of the injector pump, or does this apply only to older pumps?

WRT engine oil, will you leave the factory fill oil in for 20k or 12 months? or will you change it sooner (along with the filter). If sooner, what oil will you use? eg Penrite Enviro plus DL1?

Regards,
    Ken.
    Peugeot France & in other European countries allow up to 30% blend of biodiesel allowed. This requires the fuel filter to changed more often i.e. every 20K rather than every 40K. Note that Peugeot Australia may not allow this due to the Oz Fuel spec being different to Europe and you therefore may void your warrenty.

Thread Information