mi16 engine oil flush
  • Register
  • Help

Default mi16 engine oil flush

I am moving from a full syn 10w60 to a 5w40 full syn oil. I dont suspect that the engine is particularly fouled up but it is blowing a bit of smoke on cold start up on the 10w 60. I dont drive the car much.

So, I have already drained the old 10w 60 and put in a fresh batch of the same 10w 60 for a flush out. I now plan to run that for perhaps 20 mins at low revs and drain that out for a long time, then put in the new filter and new 5w 40.

Any pointers with this flush out - do people for/advise against any additives to try and get an extra clean?

thanks

Advertisement
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Personally I think additives are a waste of money on a well serviced car. I would do exactly as you are suggesting ie. engine nice and hot, drain over a lengthy time and I would take off oil filler cap and pull out dipstick to assist draining.

Interested to see you going to a thinner oil which is generally the opposite of what most people do to reduce smokey engines. Have you determined a cause of smoke eg. valve stem seals, etc or had someone follow you to see if it is smoking all the time or performed a compression test ?

Happy to assist if you need a hand cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Interested to see you going to a thinner oil which is generally the opposite of what most people do to reduce smokey engines.
    I was wondering about that too.
    Is a typo, or is there some merit in going thinner???

Jo

thanks guys. The previous owner said he had no smoke trouble on this thinner oil apparently, after I asked him the same question. I can only say that the car did not blow smoke before I switched from 5w40 to 10w60 (when I first got the car). I am thinking that the 10w60 has degraded quite quickly under the duress and heat of the turbo. My engine was rebuilt not that long ago - 5-6 years and not done much work or K's since then really.

If the swap does not work I will get a few tests done.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thread Information