306 Crusie Control
  • Register
  • Help
    SW

306 Crusie Control

I was wondering if anybody has installed cruise control on a Peugeot 306 - if so, can you get a genuine or are there any suitable brands that may be better than others?
    mine is a 1996 XSi manual if that makes any difference
    thanks
    Scott

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    Hi Scott,

I'm about to get one installed - I can't report on it yet obviously but I have done a fair bit of research on them.

The best reports always seem to be of Auscruise.
    Their website is <a href="http://www.auscruise.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.auscruise.com.au</a>

The Sydney installer contact they gave me is Colin Devane of (i think it was) Southern Cruise Controls 0414 596 061

I was quoted $700 installed for their AC3500 system with a choice of stalks.

Hope that helps!
    I'm going to be putting mine in soon when I've got the $
    Derek.

SW
    thanks for that Derek

I had a look at the controls and I reckon the wheel mounted ones would look the best but I dont know whether they fit on a 306 with airbag?
    After looking at the Auscruise products I did a search and found the following link

<a href="http://www.nicecar.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.nicecar.com.au</a>

They supply and install the 3500 model for $595 - a bit cheaper than what you were quoted. They are based in Newcastle but I am not too sure if they only supply to Dealers - I will have to ring when the time come

let me know how you get on

regards
    Scott

1000+ Posts
    SW

You cannot get the wheel mounted controls on a 306.

The reason? Cruise controls use the horn ring to get the data signal through from the buttons. Guess what 306's don't have - a horn ring...

So you're stuck with stalks.

I was given the quote of 'approx $700' for a Peugeot based on 3-4 hours labour and the parts.

The $595 might be for something a bit easier to work on? I don't know.

If they'll do our cars for $595 I'd be up for that - if they'll give us a discount for 2 cars at once we could both drive to Newcastle at the same time and get them done together

Keep me posted anyway!
    Derek.

SW:
    I was wondering if anybody has installed cruise control on a Peugeot 306 - if so, can you get a genuine or are there any suitable brands that may be better than others?
    mine is a 1996 XSi manual if that makes any difference
    thanks
    Scott
    Hi Scott,

We have a 1995 XT that had a Dana unit fitted aftermarket in 1996. Very simple stalk control, not as good to use as any of the wheel mounted units but it has worked well and we've transferred it to our Xantia.

When I went shopping, the info. I got was that Dana units are robust and reliable. They seem to be! For cruising in WA, the 306 is pretty good with the control.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

SW
    thanks John, I had a quick look but could not find any distributer/installers in NSW. How much did it end up costing? The controls look easier to use than the auscruise ones.

Derek, the installer is getting back to me about a price but said he will make the trip to Sydney as he has a job at Penrith to do soon - that will save a trip anyway. He reckons about 3hrs to install.

Scott

SW:
    thanks John, I had a quick look but could not find any distributer/installers in NSW. How much did it end up costing? The controls look easier to use than the auscruise ones.

Derek, the installer is getting back to me about a price but said he will make the trip to Sydney as he has a job at Penrith to do soon - that will save a trip anyway. He reckons about 3hrs to install.

Scott
    Scott,

Here's their web page <a href="http://www.rostra.com/ac-cruise.asp" target="_blank">http://www.rostra.com/ac-cruise.asp</a> Delete the ac-cruise.asp if that doesn't work. Or go to google of course under Dana Cruise Control. Rostra (whoever they are) do the Dana stuff.

That page has two control stalks illustrated - ours is the left hand one, with a single button for "set" and a sliding switch for "increase" and "resume". Pretty simple, as you said and they fit neatly on the 306 behind the indicator stalk.

I can't remember what it cost to be honest - it was nearly 8 years ago. But the units do work well and have plenty of adjustments for the installer (or you if you're game!) to make it smooth. I have mine set to work at speeds as low as 60 kph for those long suburban stretches where things creep up....

Good luck.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts
    JohnW - sounds good

I think in some ways I'd rather be patriotic and at least put *something* Australian made into my car - Auscruise are designed and made in Australia

SW, let me know the price and maybe he can do the two cars at the same time? Put that to him as well when he calls you back.. if you want to that is.

Derek.

nJm
    Just a quick off topic question - do the 306 have a 12v socket/cig lighter? One of mum's friends has a 306 sedan and she wants to charge her phone in the car, but can't find the socket.

cheers,

Nick
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm:
    Just a quick off topic question - do the 306 have a 12v socket/cig lighter? One of mum's friends has a 306 sedan and she wants to charge her phone in the car, but can't find the socket.

cheers,

Nick
    She may find it if she pulls out the ashtray.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts
    Yes N3 306's have the cigarette lighter in the ash tray (pulls down from under the centre of the dash)

N5 306's have it in the dash under the clock.

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    just be wary using the cig lighter in the N5's to plug the phone charger in
    they need to be fiddled with a little to get contact for the phone to charge
    when i bought my 306 i was told this and thought yeah right but sure enough he was right
    i leave my phone charger plugged in my permanantly so i don't have to pull it in and out
    i never use the cig lighter anyway so it doesn't bother me having the charger sitting there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

SW
    John

the Rostra brand seem to only have distributers iin WA and VIC so I will go for the Aussie product for sure - thanks

Derek

I got hold of the guy from Nicecar today. He said he can come down on a week's notice and is willing to do them at work in a car park (when it isnt raining). He will do them for $595 each. He reckons this is discounted for 2 making a trip to Sydney which is fair enough given the local bloke wanted $700.

Are you close to Guildford during the day?

regards
    scott

1000+ Posts
    Scott,

I work in Granville... so very close Work is Rock Around The Block - that big orange rock on Woodville Rd.

For weekdays.. I'm always there Fridays but my other days vary.

I'll send you a private message.
    Derek.

Thread Information