Do GTi6's Have LSD's ?
  • Register
  • Help

Do GTi6's Have LSD's ?

I thought they did, but have been told they don't. Anyone know for sure?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    I'm guessing if it did, the manual would mention something about changing the LSD oil? I'm guessing because my friends Type R which has a LSD mentions this

no lsd, aftermarket ones are available but expect to pay $1500+

Andreas

Thanks guys. Guess I was wrong.

The GTi6 sadly, doesn't come with an lsd.
    There are 2 types are available 'thru Puegeot Sport-Quaife for 590 qiud & ZF for 875.

see-http://www.peugeot306.demon.co.uk/ng98/pugcat.html#306%20TRANSMISSION

Cheers-Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Not all LSDs require special fluid. 505 Turbo and V6 models (N9T and ZN3J, for example) with Teves ABS started coming with a Torsen rear differential in 1989. This unit has no clutches, it's all mechanical. All it requires is some 80w90 API GL-5 gear oil.

A Torsen diff is one of the very few types of LSDs that can be successfully applied to front wheel drive too. It applies equal torque to the drive wheels, actual wheel speed doesn't really matter--unlike a conventional spring&cone LSD.

-Joe

I've been going through this same debate in my head too, on that last response, does that mean the GTI does or doesn't have an LSD?

It feels like there is one, my Golf GTI Turbo spun it's inside wheel very easily, especially when accelerating hard from standstill whilst turning, eg, intersections. But the 306 GTI doesn't appear to spin those wheels anywhere near as easily, just grips and goes...is it just a well sorted suspension that is getting the power down? I also don't experience axle tramp, like I did in the Golf, so the Pug is obviously well sorted up front, but an LSD would explain it...or that the Golf just had too much low end torque...

The Clio has an LSD, and with identical power, I just thought that, perhaps, the GTI-6 had it too...

Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

rek
    Lincoln,

Did your Golf GTI have the EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)? I recall they were brought in on modern Golfs and A3s; they cut power (or did something at least) when the wheels started to spin. This might have been what caused the unusual feeling from the front wheels.

Another electronic thingy on the modern Golf-platform is that the newer drive-by-wire throttle system; with it, you couldn't heel and toe (when you touched the brake pedal it automatically cut the throttle.) I'm not sure when they introduced this though.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I've never heard of the EDL term before, I know the Australia specc'ed Golf GTIs weren't as generous as the UK versions. So perhaps we didn't get it. It had ABS and EBD, but no traction control, or stability control. But it could've been the car cutting out, causing the axle tramp, but I would've thought that VW would've sold this as a "feature" and it would've been in the manual and/or reviews of the car. But I know you could never rev to anything about 2500 and drop the clutch with out the front of the car bouncing all over the place.

But I did notice the heal-toe feeling, thought it was just me not being able to give it enough throttle with the side of my foot, but it was the car! Phew!

It's the current series Golf GTI that I had, and as far as I am aware the spec hasn't really changed. Most of the electronic goodies they've thrown at the Beetle Turbo.

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Further to this topic, I just took the GTI6 into Bob Jane Granville for an on-car wheel balance and they failed to get the wheel up to speed to do the balance. This is because as they spun up one wheel, drive went to the other wheel, thus indicating a LSD is on my car.

Just spoke to Paul who agreed that the other wheel should remain stationary, but if it's spinning then that would indicate an LSD had been installed. As the wheel balance mchine can only tend to spin a wheel up to aorund 100kph, with 40% or so of the drive going across to the other wheel, the machine just can't spin the wheel up fast enough.

So, Paul's trying to arrange for Bob Jane at Drummoyne to do it with one of those fancy off wheel balance machines that can handle a wheel without a centre hollow hub bit (technical term wink :p ) to try and balance them.

That's my surprise for the day
    - Lincoln

Lincoln,

easy test for LSD.

Put the car up so both front wheels are off the ground.

Spin one. If the other one turns in the same direction you have some sort of diff lock.
    If they spin in opposite directions you have plain diff.
    I know what you mean about the get-into-the-corner-and-go syndrome on the GTi. I love it too. I tend to think its the geometry.

Wheel balancing:
    I used Granville before and they had no problems spinning the wheels upto speed on my 306.
    I also used Drummoyne. And in both cases the wheels were 98% spot on (slight vibration in the rear that sets in then it goes away at 115 and just tad under 110 or under load, prob just harmonics - nothing too bad unless you are looking for it).

<small>[ 03 February 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Voytek, I think we'll have to talk tonight. Granville could not get the wheels to spin up, so there is something different on my car to yours. Difference between a diff lock and a plain diff and a slip diff?

When I drove your car I didn't notice any difference in the way the car pulled out of the corners. I would've thought an LSD would've been noticeable...

It's going into Drummoyne tomorrow morning to try out their off car balance machine.
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts
    Lincoln,

Like we talked about this morning, try Brook's Tyres in Church St North Parramatta for the on vehicle balancing.

Their phone number is 9630 5344 - ask for Steering and speak to Greg, and tell them Phil from Rock Around The Block sent you. Dad says he knows french cars. We've bought a gazillion tyres from them over the years for all our trucks and cars Steering (across the side-street from the tyre shop) has done on vehicle balancing for our 504, Cit XM and my 306.

The other bonus is they open at 5.30am so you can get it done on your way to work If you're keen that is!

See ya tonight,
    Derek.

Thanks Derek. I called Paul and he's mates with the Manager at Bob Jane Drummoyne and they think they will be able to sort it out for me. Tonia is taking the car there tomorrow morning, if that fails, we'll try Brooks.

Man, having a LSD on a car with no centre hub on the alloys is certainly a unique situation!

Anyway, today is my last day of owning the GTi6, so it won't be my problem anymore :p
    - Lincoln

GTI124:
    Anyway, today is my last day of owning the GTi6, so it won't be my problem anymore :p
    eek! moon disappro black_ey
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    how come its the last day?? dind't you just got it not too long ago? frown

tekkie:
    Lincoln,

easy test for LSD.

Dump the clutch @ 5000 RPM. Two black lines = LSD. One black line = open centre

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

3500 will do in mine.

I dont have LSD and I still get two lines.....
    Tried it once. "to clean the grit out of the tyres...." (yes that will do as an excuse) wink

If you place one wheel on the wet, other on dry and still get two lines than I would have to agree with Peter.

1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I definately don't have LSD, in the wet the left wheel spins like crazy. If I try hard enough all the way from 1st to 4th. Sounds like the GTi6 gearbox has some different gearing in it.

It's hard to get the right wheel to spin at all, even when taking a right hand turn quickly from the lights.
    1995 306 XR

Woahh, XN6guy, thats scary.. alittle anyway. My rego is X6N.... u are in the u.s. yes?
    As for LSD gti6 dont sorry, well not here.
    Quaife sell excelent drop-in units. But as the boys mentioned, cost$$$$.
    In Spain and France they got genuine Dimma Edition S16 (which were N3 s16's with gti6 drivetrain), they had LSDif's in them, but these cars are only LeftHD and very few even over there. They were factory F2 kitted aswelll!!!! fataass!!.
    But who will be the first AF member to put a 1.5 in thier box and do in some shafts???...unless we already have one....
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Thread Information