505 GTI wipers quit
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 GTI wipers quit

Drove into town in some lovely Sydney rain yesterday and the wipers quit.

At first, there was a ticking under the dash -- which I thought might be mechanical (i.e. wiper linkage fouling on something), then thought it sounded more like a relay getting over-excited. Then came a burning rubber smell, and finally the fuse blew (losing blinkers, etc., too). Conditions weren't good, so I pulled in under a bridge. Tried a spare fuse which , of course, blew immediately. Manually parked the wipers and another fuse. No blow.

I think this all indicates that the motor has burnt out, but thought I'd check here on whether the 505 GTI (S erise I) has form. Just might be the relay -- though the blown fuse with the wiper switch off and the wipers up probably says the motor is the big draw.

Also, where does the wiper controller hide. Wiring diagram seems to indicate under the bonnet, but I'm guessing it's really under the dash.

Any recommendations where to get a replacement would be welcome too.

Have fun,

Rob.

Advertisement

Firstly check your connections. I have found that the only failure I had with the wipers was as a result of general grime build-up on a connector.
    Test for continuity and resistance before reconnecting.

I do not have a W/S diagram for the SII wiper assembly but it should be straight forward.
    Check to see if a SI, 405 or 504 motor will fit????
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

The wiper control sits under the steering binnacle,from memory just left of the steering column on a series 2. it is a black box about twice the size of a normal relay. It sounds as though you may have had some wiring fouled possibly by the steering, it's a real ratsnest under there. I'd also check the control switch-pull the plug from it-it's the larger one of the two-and try another fuse. Good luck! Max

Fellow Frogger!

Full marks -- nothing wrong with the motor.

I had recently been messing around in the rat's nest under the dash. I had tried to do everything carefully with tape and cable ties, but figured I must have messed something up. Seemed a good place to start at any rate. But no, nothing rubbing on the steering column, nor bent around sharp edges.

Next step was to get at the motor. First time I've had the plenum cover off the 505, not as tricky as the 504, but plenty of screws to lose if you're not careful. With it off though, eureka! There were the wires nicely chafed on the plenum cover itself, about an inch upstream from the wiper motor. Wrapped them in tape and tested the wipers. Working fine. Put a bit of loom tube over the repair so it won't wear through again and I'm ready for the weather.

Many thanks for the suggestions,

Rob.

Thread Information