Hi, New Member Couple of Questions on my pug.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Hi, New Member Couple of Questions on my pug.

Hello All,
    I just recently purchase my first french car, little 03 peugeot 206 Gti 180. I believe this car was looked after by a peugeot enthusiast, hence why I ended up with custom plates on the car. The previous owner, could have come from this website for all I know. I purchase the car at a dealership in Newcastle. I'm a big fan of hot hatchbacks and did some work experience at the Newcastle peugeot dealership when I was a school student many many years ago. That pretty much sealed the deal to owning one of these special little cars, justs taken a long time to get around to owning one.

I got a small problem at the moment, I notice my temperature gauge went close to 100 degrees C and then went back to 90, and I still not sure what is the normal temp for these cars to run at. I'm worried at the moment that the gauge is a bit faulty. The Engine is not using up any coolant which is a good thing, but I dunno if the thermostat is on its way out. The car has only covered 66000 kms. Does anyone else here find there pug doing the same thing? Does the car shut itself down when it reaches close to 100. I don't want to do damage to the little thing. I love this car, and doing a head seems like a very expensive exercise that I don't want to go through.

Here are some pics of my car. I hope to be involved in your car club and hopefully meet and greet other french car enthusiast. Thanks Iain.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Gti-180; 24th October 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Nice looking example mate. If its any consolation my 180 does the same thing. From what I gather its quite common. Get it checked by a professional though, it cant hurt. I find that turning on the Climate control often brings the water temp down a bit. A quick google will show you many other people that experienced the same thing.

Also noticed something wrong with your wheels. All 180 mags I have seen have scuff marks and gutter scratches, those are in perfect shape ( very suspicious )
    Last edited by KK Puggy; 24th October 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: lols

Fabulous car. I agree that the rims look too good but then the whole car looks like it has been well taken care of.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Thanks for the reply. The car is in show room condition except for the odd dint from being parked in a car park .. Its always been garage. Yes the rims do look its has been well looked after. I think previous own had aftermarket wheels on it and kept the originals in storeage. Its going in for a full service soon, I want the timing belt replace and all the fluids change, just check the engine is running smooth. Summer is on its way, so its a good time to get these things done. Its not a standard car. I have slotted and Drilled Brakes and Stainless steel Headers and 2 1/2 inch exhaust which makes the car very loud. I get funny looks in it all the time, either people don't know what it is or they think I'm a hoon and they give me the little finger . I love this car, so I never get up it. I have taken it for a good drive out the back roads, and it performs so well, and the temperature stays the same all the time but in traffic it gets a little hot. But I have a Race car for racing and Road car to enjoy every day driving.
    Current Cars -

2003 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Nice car!

I note it's running Potenzas. That suggests the previous owner loved it.

Enjoy!
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Coincidentally I have had an overheating issue with my 406 today. And the symptoms are very similar. I live in the country and don't usually have a problem, but today I went through Sydney and it boiled. I managed to stop it in time and let it cool down. The big problem is the fans are not coming on. I don't have the aircon going at present so the aircon fan isn't operational. I always found in the past that I could turn on the aircon and the temp would go back to 70 or so. But then I found my main fan was stuck against a bit of plastic grill that must have pushed in last wallaby I hit.
    But being out in the country I hadn't noticed any overheating till today.

OK so I suggest you have a good look at the electric fans that can be seen through the front of the grill. With the engine off, stick your finger in there and make sure they are free to turn. Then start the engine and watch the temp as you idle. The basic idea is the temp should go to somewhere round 76C-86C and then the fan should cut in. When the fan cuts in you should see the temp fall below where it first started and then the fan cuts out.
    OK this is standard radiator/electric fan technology right?
    But I've found with every Peugeot I've owned, from the 403, 404, 504, 505, and now 406, that there can be a problem here that needs careful checking or you'll cook your engine.
    If the fan doesn't go like I said, there are a number of possibilities.
    1. The fan is cactus. Check to see if power is reaching the fan terminals. If it is get a new fan.
    2. The relay is stuffed. Check to see if power is reaching relay. If it is but the power isn't getting to the fan, the relay is stuffed.
    3. The sender is stuffed. I have found this to always have been a problem with every Peugeot I've owned. Check to see if power is getting from the sender. If not replace sender.

Sometimes if you are very lucky, you might have more than one of these things stuffed.
    But bottom line, your car should not overheat in traffic.

A quick hint, if you are in traffic and it gets in to or near the red, and you cannot pull over for whatever reason, put the heater on full. This will circulate hot air through the heater matrix (which is a radiator in the cabin) and will provide extra cooling for the engine (but not for you)!

Could get you out of trouble some day.

Yes, and putting on the airconditioning will start an extra fan (unless that fan is already on, which it should be if the engine is very hot). So if the fan comes on for the aircondition but won't come on when the car gets hot (and the airconditioning is off) then two possibilities:

1.) The dial you are reading is wrong, and you're engine isn't as hot as indicated (be careful in thinking this!)

2.) Sender or wiring in between is stuffed.

You should probably invest in a multimeter.

Your temp gauge is normal for a Peugeot , when stopped in traffic the engine will heat up well beyond its normal running temp before the fans are started.
    This is to avoid the need for fans to run on high speed every time you stop at the lights, (just imagine the fan noise if every car at the lights had the fans running on high speed ) as soon as you move off the air flow cools the motor.
    Turning on the Air Cond. starts the fans running at low speed to condense the AC gas and this provides a constant air flow to the radiator and hence the gauge never seems to move.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Hi Gti-180,

Welcome to

1. The temperature is not an issue going near 100 - it's pressurised coolant and will not boil like unpressurised water. As mentioned, when stopped in traffic (or after being at 110km/h for any length of time), the water temp will fluctuate up to 100 or so.

2. Oil temp is usually creeping up at the same time. It's also trying to remove some heat from the oil (via a heat exchanger near the oil filter). If it helps at all, your handbook says any temperature less than the red zone is normal

3. There is no heater tap, so playing with the heater temperature will do nothing (other than distract you). The coolant is circulating through the heater matrix all the time, like on most other Peugeots.

4. The 206 only has one large fan. As has been already mentioned, leaving the climate control on results in less wild variations in water temp, usually, as the fan is always ticking away at low speed. In summer, the fan goes to high speed mode much more often and is quite loud.

It looks like a very nice car - it's very unusual seeing a red '03 model, as there weren't very many 180s around in Australia in '03. Most arrived in very late Dec '03-Jan '04 and onwards.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

SLC206 The manufacture date for the build of the car was December 03 but the RTA consider it as 04 complied.Where my insurance considers it as 03. Very confusing????

So far, I haven't counted this issue again with the over heating. I'm going to get the radiator flush and fresh coolant in it. If I see this problem again after all this work is done, I shall investigated into it asap. Thanks for the adviced..
    Current Cars -

2003 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    3. There is no heater tap, so playing with the heater temperature will do nothing (other than distract you). The coolant is circulating through the heater matrix all the time, like on most other Peugeots.
    If you run the fan on full blast it will act as a secondary radiator is what the previous poster meant. This is got me out of trouble a few times.
    Last edited by Bobomacho; 26th October 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo

1000+ Posts

I fixed my 406 today. It turned out to be a blown fan. Lucky I have all the spares to fix it. I should just add that it cycles round 90 on the gauge when sitting still. Never goes above that.
    Interesting that the fuses hadn't blown or the relays hadn't burnt out, when the cause of the failure was the fan being stopped from rotating by a bit of grill that had been pushed in as a result of my last wallaby roadkill.
    Anyway, mister GTI, just make sure the fan is cutting in at round about 90-100 and running, and cooling it back a little or you will get into trouble. It takes quite awhile of idling to get it up there but that's the exercise. These radiators must be super efficient as they don't need the fan once the car is moving faster than 40k's or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobomacho View Post
    If you run the fan on full blast it will act as a secondary radiator is what the previous poster meant.
    Fair enough, I suppose it may help a little

It's a bit of a stretch though. You'll probably end up overheating yourself!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Gti-180,

That doesn't sound right, that the heater would be regulated by the fan/ducting. Is that the case on the newer cars?

1000+ Posts

That's the case on almost all newer cars, regardless of make. Except possibly the most basic, with no active temperature control at all.

Even my ol' 405 is like that.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ahh, I don't touch the newer models.

1. The temperature is not an issue going near 100 - it's pressurised coolant and will not boil like unpressurised water. As mentioned, when stopped in traffic (or after being at 110km/h for any length of time), the water temp will fluctuate up to 100 or so.
    Is this specific to the GTi 180 ? because all our pugs run right below the 90 degrees mark, regardless of speed or weather.

2. Oil temp is usually creeping up at the same time. It's also trying to remove some heat from the oil (via a heat exchanger near the oil filter). If it helps at all, your handbook says any temperature less than the red zone is normal
    I noticed that the lighter the oil, the more difficult it gets hotter than 90 C and it was very noticeable in the 406 when using 5w30 oil (previously 0w-40 and before that 5w50), with the 5w30 the oil temp was stuck at 90 C even at 175kph.
    Last edited by Doush_504; 27th October 2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

1000C? Some have said that's normal (and it possibly is) but why so hot? Yes, it doesn't boil as the pressure is raised as the boiling point has been raised too. It still seems very hot.

I've been driving an old Corolla around as my car is having things done. I thought the gauge was shot, as it barely reads anything. I thought I'd change the coolant the other day as it was dirty and I checked the operation of the fans for the owner. Nope, fans came on very early and the gauge did move after five minutes of idling (not very far mind you). I thought then that it must be a faulty gauge (no it's not a faulty thermostat so don't worry about trying to diagnose it for me). I came to the conclusion that perhaps it just runs VERY cool, as you can take it for a 20 minute drive, then without even a "hiss" or "pop" remove the radiator cap immediately after stopping! One hell of a good cooling system.

Tadpole

No heater tap makes sense, with the climate control turned off my 206 GTi seeps hot air out of the vents. made for hot days before i got it re gassed.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Doush_504 View Post
    Is this specific to the GTi 180 ? because all our pugs run right below the 90 degrees mark, regardless of speed or weather.

GTi 6 is the same as the 180. Fans only kick in at about 100 degrees when sitting in traffic. Never seen them kick in at speed though... Tend to sit on about 70 degrees when moving.

Stu.

Thread Information