s1 205 GTI dash conversion
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default s1 205 GTI dash conversion

Well, its in and working fine, I remember putting up a request for advice before starting the conversion job and the silence was deafening, now I know why. I had fun with the heater controls, but won that battle, then the wiring, rather than swap looms I replaced the switch plugs with parts cut off an SI loom,
    every SI switch had an extra wire which made it fun but I got them all working, then getting the glove box door aligned was a challenge and when I thought I'd won I started fitting the column cowlings and lo,the ign. switch is in a diff spot on the column, I wasn't sure about whether the p.s late column would fit the early column so I simply adjusted(with a file) the covers to fit, but all up its a far nicer looking fellow now, so its a S1 GTI, with a late dash, DKZ motor, S1 box, offset fourteen inch spoke mags and a rebuilt rear end. I have discs for the rear and 306 for the front, but that can be a project for another day. I am looking forward to driving it in the near. before that i have to fit the cam covers, why do people remove them, can't be because of weight. Maybe they like the ,will I flick up a rock, gamble.

Advertisement

I think the main reason you are going to get deafening silence around here is because nobody can help, which is often if you're trying to keep a car stock. Most people around here modify 205s.

I found the same problem.

But in your case, I didn't see your post. Not that I could help much.

Did you change only the dash or the heater box and all that crap attached to the firewall as well?

Because if you changed the heater box, you wold have had no problems with the heater controls.

I am in a sort of similar situation trying to rewire my car correctly after some undesirable character took some creative freedom with a bunch of electrical tape and a stanley knife.

I have managed to rewire everything, but used an SI loom off a later car which left me with some wires dangling about and figuring out if they're needed or not takes a heck of a long time. I don't want to cut anything but try to use the correct wires, even if I have to pull them out of their connectors (which is a down-right-mother****er-of-a-pig-of-a-dog job) and push them back into the correct connectors for my car.

The reason I am telling you this is that in the process I had to pull the entire front of the interior out to get to the bloody wires, so I had the pleasure of shredding my fingers in all those plastique de merde and useless but very sharp edged farffnugning clips and ties and other such rubbish that seems to hold the car together.

Anyhoo. If you want bits to complement your transformation, and I have them, you can have them free, once I figure out what'll stay and what'll go. I normally throw in the bin everything that is less than perfect, but if you think you can reuse such stuff, it's yours.

I bought a lot of stuff off UK ebay, and have two cars, so there should be plenty of crap to share.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Plenty of people could help, but after you've pulled the dash out and rewired, there's really not much left of a 205. It's basically a full rebuild. Drop the engine, front and rear supsensions, and you could have resprayed the shell! As you've discovered, you really need a full interior loom from the fuse box forward to do the job properly.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default ah hindsight, its always accurate

i'm actually pretty happy with the job,it all worked and is neat, of course if i'd known afforehand would have done differently,which is why i asked first, but its all working and i have a lovely complete gti loom all tucked away in the store that will probably never see daylight again. I,ve got another 87 waiting for a do up one day, maybe i'll do it different.

Fellow Frogger!

Default the heater box

I found that the control panel to install rotary dials is a screw on addition that comes with an si unit, same heater with an extra panel on the front the allows the rotary dial action, rather neat conversion, of course it took a while to realise this. I wanted the conversion to be neat but didnt want to take out more than was needed, i wasn't sure where the heater etc wiring separated from the ecu unit wiring which has already had a motronic conversion, but all up it was doable, took some imaginative wiring, as in put gauges aside and just start connecting wires till each switch or unit worked, i just did one at a time till all working, i did move the recycle cable and gave it its own lever, got tired of playing with that fellow, cause the s1 cable end in 180 degrees from the si end and wasnt going to work, like my son says, love em, dont always like em.

and yes some wires did nothing, they were tucked away till required, regards fish,

Thread Information