Oh no ... were buying a poogoe
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Oh no ... were buying a poogoe

bouncy, bouncy springs ... no proper brakes, no proper steering, no proper suspension .... Lets just hope it doesn't constantly break like the other PSA made thing we have here.

Advertisement

I wonder if it'll end up with a serious inferiority complex being surrounded by proper cars

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh no ...  were buying a poogoe-c4_1.jpg   Oh no ...  were buying a poogoe-c4_2.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - Shane was defeated by the XM!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Hmmm. Ange has done a great job of fitting the big "keep Shane out" padlock on the bonnet. I can hardly see it.

I look forward to more entertainment as you come to grips with a car that's Alive with Technology.

If anyone can make it dance for real, my money's on you!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger

When are you installing the LHM dripper to leave puddles under the car?

By the time that car was built, most of the early issues had been sorted out. Don't put anything large on the left side of the glovebox and then slam it closed or you will 'pop' the lid's hinges and probably snap the handle off trying to get it open again. Then you would most likely need a new glovebox lid, which is hardly free!

p.s. When do we see the world's most worked on XM on the market?
    Last edited by David S; 21st October 2011 at 05:43 PM.

UFO

Dear Angela

I suggest something like this to keep Shane from opening the bonnet

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    bouncy, bouncy springs ... no proper brakes, no proper steering, no proper suspension .... Lets just hope it doesn't constantly break like the other PSA made thing we have here.

I wonder if it'll end up with a serious inferiority complex being surrounded by proper cars

seeya,
    Shane L.
    It might teach the proper cars a thing or two!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

OMFG ....... They must have looked under the bonnet of the peice of sh!t XM and found the ONLY thing easy to access is the air fliter..... You HAVE to be god damn kidding me .... Look how god damn involved just changing an air filter is

Does Poogoe make the biggest peices of shit ever to work on or what

I'm gonna find that website my father was telling me about. What they did was stick a big air cleaner out in the airbox at the front, and a big "normal" fuel filter in the fuel line where it enters the motor..... before the existing ludicrously buried/expensive fitlers and just change them so the factory filters never block up.............................. I'll be buggered, right where the UTUBE video shows above. If you shove a high filtration pod filter on there (where the god damn factory filter should have been put, as you can actually access it) ..... you'll never have to pull half the car apart to change the filter again.

The idea of buying this car is so I don't have to spend half my working working on her car .... this one is my mothers car and has only done 30,000kms from new ( 5,000 of them Ang has done while here XM is constantly broken).

I suggest anyone that enjoys working on and driving cars, don't buy *anything* made by Poogoe ... Go for any decent car made before Poogoe took over Citroen ... eg: GS, CX, DS, ID, SM, Traction etc.....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Mr Levvo, you haven't yet figured out that this applies to any car after about 2000? Your Cits are easy to work on because they're...errr...OLD*.

Stu

*does not apply to replacing the thermostat bypass hose on an original Mini.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Mr Levvo, you haven't yet figured out that this applies to any car after about 2000? Your Cits are easy to work on because they're...errr...OLD*.

Stu

*does not apply to replacing the thermostat bypass hose on an original Mini.

Stuey,
    Slightly OT but some mini types tell me that it can be dispensed with. Not important in our clime.

Wish I'd known of this in the olden days. I would turn the min's away from the shop because of these.

I'm of the opinion that all new cars are shit. Yup, it's the curse of having a new car, you get rubbish engineering... All the best stuff is vintage 1960 - 1969 anyway!

1000+ Posts

Yeah, I'd heard this Mr Beest. After I got rid of mine...

As for newer cars...it's all about having as much as possible crammed in around the engine on the subframe into a space efficient shape and for easy installation at manufacture. No regard to servicing or repair.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

You know ... my parents have replaced this with a car that features the Citroen C6 HDi motor. I bet if I look everything is accessable... oil filter, battery, fuel filter, air cleaner etc...... If Ford australia can do this, why can't poogoe

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

AL4? Be very afraid....

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    AL4? Be very afraid....
    No AL4 with the HDi versions. It's actually an automated manual with a single clutch plate.

Everything is fairly easy to get to for service on the 2.7 and 3.0 HDi engines in the C5 and C6.

shouldaboughtabenz....

or an old pug... old pugs are a hundred times easier to work on then cits...any cit. Look at the underbonnet of a cx and compare to a 505gr.... chalk and cheese... and the 505 will still deliver 8/10ths the ride but better handling... minus all the hydraulic BS... Shane, think its time you got yourself a 604.

dino

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    AL4? Be very afraid....

Your really think i'd allow a slugomatic in this house, let alone one of the AL$ variety. The only reason it's an EGS, is this is my mothers car she purchased new. I have purchased it from them for the price they were offered trade in on a new territory deisel AWD (those suckers can tow 2.7tons )...... Which is a tiny amount given the car is barely run in and only a couple of years old

We would never have purchased it (as I HATE borrowing money to buy cars). Only the XM is proving too unreliable given the miles my wife does. And the Poogoe C4 has averaged over 55mpg around town while we have had it (I've also learned to use and trust it's god awful over-assisted brakes & gearbox in this time). I'm concerned, as I actually don't mind the EGS 'box..... sure I'd prefer a manual, but this thing is still far, far better than an automatic in my mind. It's still just a normal 'box and clutch if it ever needs repair.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

AL4 Is this the new automatic in Peugeots/Citroens that is failing on everybody's 605/406 et. al? Meh.. Never owning new new Pug/Cit. Rubbish I say. Why couldn't they stick with the ZF?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    AL4 Is this the new automatic in Peugeots/Citroens that is failing on everybody's 605/406 et. al? Meh.. Never owning new new Pug/Cit. Rubbish I say. Why couldn't they stick with the ZF?
    Well it's hardly "new". But yes unless scrupulously maintained they have been known to fail in around 100,000km. But I think getting 200,000km out of one may be miraculous.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

I was on a trip in a late Xantia last weekend with 190+K on the original AL4 and I've seen a few C5 HDi's with about 300K that would have been on the original AL4. They were not on the original fill of oil though! You just never hear about the ones that work well, but they are out there. Depending on what engine the 605 or 406 has, it could be a ZF 4 speed gearbox in any case. Some AL4's have failed at ridiculously low mileages, but later gearboxes are far less trouble, which is what you'd expect after building the things for a decade now.

1000+ Posts

You know ... my parents have replaced this with a car that features the Citroen C6 HDi motor. I bet if I look everything is accessable... oil filter, battery, fuel filter, air cleaner etc...... If Ford australia can do this, why can't poogoe

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah, true....you should have bought a Mondeo. I admit, access is pretty good and it has timing chains. Maybe I was wrong about all modern cars.
    Last edited by Stuey; 22nd October 2011 at 10:50 AM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I know of somebody (as she lived next door) who had a Citroen on loan. She was very impressed at how it rode, handled and the fuel economy and power that it had (HDi). It was also for sale, and she was seriously contemplating buying it. A bit of investigation by phoning a Peugeot dealer who informed her of the failure rate of the automatic transmission put her right off. Sad to say, she bought a Kia instead. Yup, can't blame her, really, the failure rate is unacceptable, the only thing more unacceptable is the cost of repair of a manufacturing fault.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Well it's hardly "new". But yes unless scrupulously maintained they have been known to fail in around 100,000km. But I think getting 200,000km out of one may be miraculous.
    Our 406 has almost 150 k Kms with no problems what so ever with the AL4, it just has to be properly maintained
    I'm concerned, as I actually don't mind the EGS 'box..... sure I'd prefer a manual, but this thing is still far, far better than an automatic in my mind. It's still just a normal 'box and clutch if it ever needs repair.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    These types of boxes may be a bit jerky in town but once you show it a long stretch of road boy it becomes fun.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

So Shane, what did you end up buying, considering the title of the thread???

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    So Shane, what did you end up buying, considering the title of the thread???

Dave
    Obviously NOT a peugeot.

Jo

1000+ Posts

OMFG ....... They must have looked under the bonnet of the peice of sh!t XM and found the ONLY thing easy to access is the air fliter..... You HAVE to be god damn kidding me .... Look how god damn involved just changing an air filter is

seeya,
    Shane L.

Jesus, mate that's just plain bizzare. There was a detroit masterpiece rushed into production before they realised that one of the back spark plugs couldn't be removed whith the engine in place. Can't remember what it was. A Cutless maybe?

I thought Renault lost the plot when they mounted the Air filter on the inner guard when they made the R12. They forced me to loosen three nuts to access the element. A backward step from the wing nuts or clips used on the R10...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information