What is an honest kilometer ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default What is an honest kilometer ?

Trawling through carsales.com and Ebay to see what is out there in the wierd and wonderful transportation devices, I find so many conflicting description that are not understandable..

160,000 honest kilometers - Is an honest kilometer the same distance as a dishonest kilometer? Maybe a dishonest kilometer measures 1100 meters?

Even genuine kilometers - How do you clock over a non-genuine kilometer?

I have never seen anyone traveling with the drive wheels off the ground to complete a non genuine kilometer

Advertisement

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Like a bakers dozen, only even more dishonest.

I suppose one could interpret honest kilometers as ones "driven"..eg "country" kays are better than "city" kays... Would be interesting if cars had "hour meters" installed to run along with speedos...
    Might also be a reference to documented mileage... I for one dont hold this against sellers, many have been burned during the eighties and seventies (when it was ever so easy to manipulate the milage)... I think some still suffer the remnants of these experiences... who can blame them...

dino

1000+ Posts

Rewinding odometers was once common. Even large and reputable dealers did it. British sportscars never grew old. An MGA was bought with 36,000 dodgy miles. At 75,000 miles the owner rewound it to 50,000 miles and traded it on a big Healey at one of Melbournes leading sports car dealers. They re-upholstered and rewound to 22,000 miles. The old joke was customer: how many miles has it done? Salesman: How many miles would you like it to have done? A dealer in secondhand Peugeots always rewound his odometers but we still bought cars from him because they were good. His cars all travelled 6500 miles per year. I remember loooking at a 2 year old 403 with 44,000 miles on the clock at a big country Holden dealer. Didn't sell, too many miles, so it went away and lost half its mileage. Sold then. I was only talking about this yesterday with a dealer. Hasn't been a practice for many years. Now it is very rare and done only by a disreputable fringe of the trade.

never trust the mileage on a 406...is there one on the planet the speedo works properly on.
    an honset kilometRE is different to dishonest kilometER

Default Kms

This week channel 7 Sydney, aired footage of a gentleman winding the speedo of a late model Jaguar back. He was in a car yard. When approached he had NO comment.
    So as far as being uncommon these days?

May be he was only winding the non-genuine kms off
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Was the channel 7 program an honest program?

I've known people to disconnect their speedo cable on the newer cars, as they can't be easily wound back with a drill or whatever the method was. Yes, just work out what speed you're doing via RPM and gear selection. Me? I don't bother, my speedo resets itself every time the car does 100,000 km.

Scenario. I drive down the Toowoomba range to work every day, it is 20 km (this isnn't a real scenario, I don't work at all, HA!). At the top of the range in an effort to save fuel I cut the engine and use extra pressure on the brakes until I get to the 100 km/h sign and re-engage gear and clutch. This gets me ~ 7 km down hill with the engine off. So, 13 km's are genuine kilometers, 7 are non-engined kilometers. Imagining I've done this for many many years of my life, Which is more honest? Saying the car has done these (extra 7) kilometres? Not saying the car has done these, or explaining everything I've just written to blow the minds of the next buyer in an attempt to convince him the car has done less than the odometer states.

my 205's speedo cable has been broken for 6 months - but tbh once you're well over 300,000km each km is more like kudos than anything negative.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    once you're well over 300,000km each km is more like kudos than anything negative.
    Good call. If my 504 had only done 100,000 kays I would skite. If it had done over 400,000 I would skite also, and in fact the more kays it had the more I would skite!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    never trust the mileage on a 406...is there one on the planet the speedo works properly on.
    an honset kilometRE is different to dishonest kilometER
    Nor would one trust the mileage of a 406 sold in Australia. You may be more inclined to trust the kilometres indicated on the odometer.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Trust me I'm a doctor...

I would be a bit suspicious of someone drawing attention by saying 'Genuine'...sounds like a guilty conscience to moi.

And heaven forbid that a used car dealer would fiddle the figures.

1000+ Posts

I always drive backwards when I return from a journey so my car's speedo is always on 000,000.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

My mate had a BMW which had 180k on the clock...

Turned out, that the cluster had been tampered with - and the figure was more like 200k on top of the 180k indicated...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I was told a story many years ago that may or may not have been true.

There was a VW Beetle (a real one, instead of the modern take on the shape) that was purchased second hand by a fellow who drove it for the next ten years or so.

When it was time to sell he reasoned that the mileage was pretty high so decided to wind back the odometer to make it more saleable.

He accessed the speedo drive and found a note: "Oh no, not again!"

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I would be a bit suspicious of someone drawing attention by saying 'Genuine'...sounds like a guilty conscience to moi.

And heaven forbid that a used car dealer would fiddle the figures.
    I was always told to be wary of people who used to go around with self-given nicknames like "Honest Bob". It was all the rage a few decades ago. Car salesman everywhere had the mandatory title honest. I think it fell out of fashion shortly after.

I had a go at a mates odo in a 90's hilux and the counter ended up glitchy.
    When he traded it, the salesman said that it had been fiddled,my mate was into fiber optics and told
    the guy that a bit of "black optic fibre" had got into the area and played havoc,honest, and the guy believed him.
    Honest kilometers?

Fellow Frogger!

I think as well, with the majority of the cars we all drive the km argument can be a bit irrelevant as a fair few of our cars have had various rebuilds and upgrades in their lifetimes.
    If you were to compare a 2005 Falcon showing 100,000 kms on the clock with a well cared for 205 GTI showing 300,000 kms (and why would you compare them, I hear you ask) I reckon you might find the Peugeot would be in finer fettle due to being cared for and serviced properly. Sure the dash would have broken into tiny little pieces in the 205 but l know which I would rather have...

There's lot of used car slogans I wonder about.

I careing owner. What the other 10 were non careing?

it's an 02/03 model. What you have 2 cars or was it made at midnight on new year eve.

I've been around the dodgy used car market for a long time back in the 70's and 80's where anything goes.
    A mate had a yard just near a migrant hostel (thats what they used to call them) and back in those days it was a $1000 RWC limit, in other words any car sold over $1000 had to have a RWC and warranty, under $1000 didn't matter.
    He sold lots of old Holdens for $200 with 12/12 warranty to people who could hardly speak english and I remember being in the outer office making coffee as he was signing up a $200 bomb and the customer asked about the 12/12 warranty. Phil looks at his watch and says you have about 8 seconds left. 12/12 meant 12 seconds or 12 feet whatever came first.

A cut and shut is a car thats been so badly smashed that its actually a 2 cars welded togeather usually under the floor somewhere out of sight, those cars were advertised as 2 for the price of one.

When ask by the customer how many KM's on the clock the standard answer was. How many do you want?

Wonder why the laws have changed?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I am sure that line was used by "Del Boy" in Only Fools and Horses.....

"One Careful Lady Owner" is another one that makes me laugh as when you call to enquire about the car there is no lady and you need subtitles to understand what the person is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    There's lot of used car slogans I wonder about.

I careing owner. What the other 10 were non careing?

it's an 02/03 model. What you have 2 cars or was it made at midnight on new year eve.

I've been around the dodgy used car market for a long time back in the 70's and 80's where anything goes.
    A mate had a yard just near a migrant hostel (thats what they used to call them) and back in those days it was a $1000 RWC limit, in other words any car sold over $1000 had to have a RWC and warranty, under $1000 didn't matter.
    He sold lots of old Holdens for $200 with 12/12 warranty to people who could hardly speak english and I remember being in the outer office making coffee as he was signing up a $200 bomb and the customer asked about the 12/12 warranty. Phil looks at his watch and says you have about 8 seconds left. 12/12 meant 12 seconds or 12 feet whatever came first.

A cut and shut is a car thats been so badly smashed that its actually a 2 cars welded togeather usually under the floor somewhere out of sight, those cars were advertised as 2 for the price of one.

When ask by the customer how many KM's on the clock the standard answer was. How many do you want?

Wonder why the laws have changed?

Should I be nervous, David?? What version did i get?????

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post
    I am sure that line was used by "Del Boy" in Only Fools and Horses.....

"One Careful Lady Owner" is another one that makes me laugh as when you call to enquire about the car there is no lady and you need subtitles to understand what the person is saying.

If anyone remembers a show called Minder from the 70's with a character called Arthur Daily?
    Arthur was into every shonky deal around, always one step ahead of the law. That's really what it was like back then. Once they got your money they didn't want to know you.

Back then it was like a competition to see who could pull the biggest ripe off. One Friday night drink sesion I remember one of the older dealers who'd been around for many many years (has since been murdered surprise surprise) telling us that the best people to ripe off were friends and family because they were the least likely to shop around.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Should I be nervous, David?? What version did i get?????

Jo
    You'd know by now.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

I once bought a car "only drive to church and back on Sunday by little old lady". Never again.
    The car was in beautiful condition but the engine was stuffed. It had never been drive far enough to get warmed up properly. The oil hadn't been changed often enough and thus the rocker gear was caked in carbon which had worn all the shafts out.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Thread Information