Mounting driving lights on 505
  • Register
  • Help

Mounting driving lights on 505

I've recently installed a pair of rectangular Hella spots on my 505 (couldn't justify the price of Cibies, I'm afraid).

Advertisement

After humming and hahing for a while I cut out sections of the radiator grill for them. (I wanted them behind the bumper), but I'm interested in other people's solutions to this. I'm not 100% happy with the resulting "look" and it obstructs the radiator a little, although a bit of fine tuning will probably improve it a bit.

One could , I guess, cut out sections of the front air dam, but these cost a hell of a lot more than grills (and I have a spare grill, but no spare dam) so i was bit reluctant. I also thought I'd be more likely to destroy them on car park curbs etc if they were down low in the dam. How have other 505 owners dealt with the issue of driving lights?

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 20 May 2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Hi Rod,

Due to lots of Blue Mtns fog, I got some rectangular HELLA lamps on my S1 505GTi. It had the 'usual' black plastic front bumber due to it's '85 vintage. I too was thinking only in-front of the grille but found the two front mounts were the only realistic options. I drilled into the mounts and used the bolts + brackets (infinte angle) supplied in the kit. The front mounts are on a 45 deg. angle where I drilled into.

They still sit higher than the front 'painted' area so I never hit them on anything. I will try and find a piccie of the 505 and will post when I scan it. I mounted a nice 'inner-lit' red rocker switch on one of the blank switch areas near the fan controls. It looked a lot better than the black toggle switches!!

Good luck,
    Stu G clown
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

nJm
    I too am thinking of installing Fog Lights (not driving lights) on my S1 505GR, so did you attach them to the bottom of the black bumper, or are they hanging off something else?

Was it easy to install them? Thanks
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Maybe I should explain the way i've set it up myself a bit more clearly. On the sLi wagon, essentially what I've done is cut out sections of the grill aperture and installed the lights by hanging them down from the upper cross beam (had to drill two holes in the cross member for the fittings). If you are careful with positioning of the holes you avoid any effect on bonnet closing . The front of the lights are accordingly very close to flush with the front of the grill, and well behind the front of the bumper. This gives them a fair amount of protection, and they integrate reasonably well with the front , but , of course, it meant cutting up the grill. The look is a bit chunkier than I would like though.

The major downside is some obstruction to the flow of air to the radiator (from the right hand light - the left hand doesn't cause a problem because the radiator is offset). I haven't had any overheating problems so far as a result, but the weather hasn't exactly been hot in Melbourne recently.

I used a spare rear fog light switch instead of the toggle that came with the hella kit. I've put it down where the three "blank" switches are on the dash to the right of the steering wheel on Series 2 cars, to avoid confusion with the regular rear fog light switch.

The "low current' feed to the relay comes from the headlight high beam lead (I put in a connector close to the headlight switch itself, after removing the steering column cowling), to the new switch, and the low current feed from the switch to the relay runs through the conduit to the bootom of the fusebox and then follows the loom around the right hand side and front of the exgine compartment.

I've put the relay right next to the box containing the fan relays on the front left hand of the engine compartment. The main "high current" feed for the relay comes directly off one of the spare heavyweight connectors that come from the battery positive.

Took about 21/2 hours all up, including a fair bit of fussing around working out the precise location for mounting holes, best route for wiring etc etc.

If I was mounting foglights, rather than driving lights, I'd ideally want them a bit lower down for maximum effectiveness though. Yellow lenses would also be a bit more aesthetically intrusive if mounted in the grill.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 21 May 2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    If I was mounting foglights, rather than driving lights, I'd ideally want them a bit lower down for maximum effectiveness though. Yellow lenses would also be a bit more aesthetically intrusive if mounted in the grill.
    Are there any rules governing the height of fog lights?
    In NSW, driving lights must be mounted at the same centre height as the headlights (although it doesn't seem to apply to original factory equipment), but I'm not sure about fog lights.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

[/QUOTE]Are there any rules governing the height of fog lights?
    In NSW, driving lights must be mounted at the same centre height as the headlights (although it doesn't seem to apply to original factory equipment), but I'm not sure about fog lights.

Dave[/QUOTE]

In Victoria the regulations require the centre of fog lights to be level with, or below, the centre of the low beam headlights. There don't seem to be any constraints on the maximum heights of driving lights, but they have to be fitted in pairs. Low beam lights though have to be between 500mm and 1.4 metres from the ground, and at least 600mm apart.

The Victorian regulations on fog Lights are as follows:

105. Front fog lights

(1) A pair of front fog lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels.

(2) A pair of front fog lights, or a single front fog light, may be fitted to a motor cycle or trike.

(3) A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must have the centre of each light not over 400Êmillimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle unless the centres of the lights are at least 600 millimetres apart.

(4) If the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any low-beam headlight on the vehicle, the centre of the fog light must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.

(5) A front fog light must--

(a) when on--

(i) project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle; and

(ii) be a low-beam light; and

(b) be able to be operated independently of any headlight; and

(c) be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver's eyes.

- from <a href="http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/l2d/R/STAT00592/1_1.html" target="_blank">http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/l2d/R/STAT00592/1_1.html</a>

I couldn't find the NSW regulations relating to headlights on the NSW RTA web site.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Thanks for your efforts Rod.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information