205 gear knob
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 205 gear knob

Default 205 gear knob

howdy rubber chickens,

Any thoughts on how to get an S1 gear knob off? I read in a few places that some 205 knobs may have been made impossible to remove without destruction of the knob, ie it is glued on. Later 205s might allow you to just pull upwards or twist off. I have had a go and its very firmly in place. Any ideas?

Ash

ps, no knob jokes. I have been hugely restrained here....

Advertisement
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

It's a one way ride for a 205 knob.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Seems a shame then. Also a bit risky if I dont like the new one!
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

I have managed to pull the one that was in my car when I got it and it does indeed look like it's a one way trip. That being said, it is stuck with contact adhesive and you can soften that with acetone before trying to pull it off again. Not sure of the outcome though.

The stick has a number of one-way (saw tooth) ridges around the rod that guide the knob on its way down and prevent it from coming back up. The part where the knob attaches is not round either, but has four sides like a four leaf clover if you want, made by crimping the stick tube so don't try to twist the knob if don't want to destroy it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

hmm, thanks for the detail. Sounds like a nightmare that needs an angle grinder. I better be sure about the new one first.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Naah. Like I said, acetone and patience. You might destroy the old knob but if that's not an issue, at least you save the stick. Alternatively you can get the stick with knob off ebay or just the top plastic.

What's with people and gearstick knobs anyway? Is the rest of the car sweet and nice to warrant the effort put in fixing the stick?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

PDJ

How knackered is your old knob. If you're just swapping it for the sake of having a different one trust me, you'll want the original one back and they go for a premium on U.K. eBay these days as people swap back from aftermarket stuff (ups)

Just a minor chip in the top of the original. I am just not much of a fan of plastic - not the most tactile substance. I have a new ball shaped Momo knob that is half leather and half aluminium, matching my momo seats and momo wheel. The original is a great shape and perhaps the new one will be a bit short, cant tell yet.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

If the old one is in great shape as you say, leave it a lone. Get another stick off ebay for peanuts and play with that. You Momo knob will require some bodging to go on, because as I said the stick is not round at the top. You won't find it easy to firmly attach it with the grubscrew (if it does indeed have a grubscrew) to the stick.

Post a picture here and if I like it, I'll swap you a stick with aftermarket knob for the stick with your old knob.

It is my opinion too that these cars look so brilliantly designed in every aspect that you can only ruin it once you start modifying. The gearstick knob is certainly a really nice example of this design. Not too many cars have such a nice OEM stick knob.

You won't damage the gearstick getting the knob off. Just give it a big twist with the stilsons etc. If not, just take to the knob with a hacksaw. New knobs were only approx. $30 a few years ago. It takes 2-3 grub screws to hold a custom knob on.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

PDJ

If you're Momo'd up already go for it.

Thanks for all this useful comment. I do agree about nobs and their aftermarket knobs. My car is not a 205 anymore, ask Andrew ch. I will have a play and report in.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

I too can vouch for what PeteT suggested - go for it with the hacksaw and other such instruments with a bit of a twist just for good measure. Under the original knob you will find steel barbs that are part of the stick.

Mine literally fell apart in my hand one day and was a great excuse for a Momo Was only a 10minute job, slides over the barbs from memory and held on with an allen head setscrew. Will post pics tomorrow.

You'll be surprised how much difference a knob can make! Have you got a quickshift on it?

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

OK, I clearly have super-human strength as the OEM knob came off with a twist and a yank upwards. It is still fine for a another trip with the addition of some araldite for good measure. You guys were right about the crimped, barbed set up of the rod - quite menacing.

So the OEM knob has a repaired but obvious chip on the top of it, but otherwise a good knob.

The momo knob will need to fiddling to get on but wins out in my book. I will post some pics once all done.

Yes Pat, I have a short shifter, its great. Your photos would be good.

Ash
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

As it turns out I'm after a gearknob for my S1 as it's missing the top part .....

Pm me your address and I shall mail you a freebie.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Default Knobs...

Here are the pics...

Gratuitous gear knob image 1:

Gratuitous gear knob image 2:

Disassembled - note no glue etc, held on to the plastic cover of the original stick by the 3 set screws. You can see the indentations that they leave. It just so happened that the inside diameter od the knob fitted perfectly over the plastic - just lucky there...

My Momo came with a selection of different sized rubber caps that go over the barbed bit - difficult to photograph but you can just see it in there. You just have to select the one that fits nicely so there's no wobbly knob - sorry, but I am trying to keep this out of the gutter, promise...

ps - Would someone please remind me how to do the thumbnail thing instead of inserting image URLs? Ta
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Default Loading thumbnails

[QUOTE=patpug;998979ps - Would someone please remind me how to do the thumbnail thing instead of inserting image URLs? Ta[/QUOTE]

Nice looking knob there PatPug.

Trick seems to be to get the right sized thumbnail first. Anything over 100kb will be rejected.
    I use a free program called JpegSizer. If you set it to the email size it comes out at about 75kb which this site is happy with. JpegSizer will show you the end result then save the file in My Pictures/email.

Click arrow besides the paperclip in the panel above the reply text. A window will pop up allowing you to browse and select the picture you want. You can have 10 per posting. They will appear at the bottom of your text.

Paul

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

Default Testing.testing, testing

Well better see if what I wrote works.
    Just have to be patient, takes a while to load them when you confirm.
    Bit confusing as they don't appear in your draft message

Paul

( + the usual bit)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 gear knob-jse_504_v6_wagon_002.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1030299.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040587.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040613.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040593.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040720.jpg  

Cheers Paul!
    205 gti-6

That silver 205 looks nice by the way - Ash would agree :-) I don't think I've ever seen one on the road in that colour though. Couldn't have been many made...
    205 gti-6

Pat, my new knob is the same shape as yours but has a leather cap and allen key bolts on top. Interesting that the little screws are enough to hold it on. The diameter difference is too large I think and I need to find a tube sleeve to fill the space. I see you mention the tubes to do that.

The alloys knobs get hot though they.

There are a few silver cars about, easier to keep looking clean I find.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by patpug View Post
    That silver 205 looks nice by the way - Ash would agree :-) I don't think I've ever seen one on the road in that colour though. Couldn't have been many made...
    Thanks Pat. I don't know what the colour code is. The car had a back to bare metal respray at some stage in its life. The colour is actually a bluish-silver.

Couple more pictures with the Silver Si bringing up the rear.

Paul,

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 gear knob-jse_p1040337.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040611.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040614.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040615.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040617.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040618.jpg  

205 gear knob-jse_p1040619.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040620.jpg   205 gear knob-jse_p1040666.jpg  

That GTI is a real stunner, great condition, love the colour. Si cute too.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

The alloy doesn't get TOO hot I find - anyway, the quickshift/super torquey engine combo means the hand isn't on the knob (sorry... how else do you describe it ) for that long . I love the simplicity of the design - after all it was good enough for Ferrari!

As far as the three screws go, the thing is rock solid. I think that I was just lucky that the diameter of the plastic tube that covers the std pug stick is exactly the correct size for the I/D of the knob...

Pat
    205 gti-6

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information