205 gti twin webbers?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 gti twin webbers?

hi guys this question has probably been asked a million times but how do i go about doing a twin webber job on my 205 gti 1.9.

reason, ive seen some 205s with webbers and not only do they look and sound cool, they also take up less room than the fuel injection with all the anoying computer and wire stuff.

i would like to know how/where to get all the parts to do it as il be doing it myself.

cheers

Advertisement

Dont bother. Just go ITBs. Much better in every way.

Start by having a look at a few threads on the 205gtidrivers forum. THere are some great threads on there with lots of info relating to everything you want to know.

They are however a little more expensive.

Whats the reasons you want to change?
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Contact John Palmos (aka Motorman) at [email protected] for a complete turnkey package. He is very knowledgeable and his prices are low, even with freight to OZ. If you buy from him ask for a customs statement.

Cheaper than the QTB's, Haltech etc package and nearly the same power at full chat, but throttle response is not quite as good and they can be thirsty.

Fellow Frogger!

every hoses hare melted, craked or disformed and the wires looms are the same look like a gas factory in this engine bay!.. i can not beleve that car still run...

PDJ

I started a thread about this a couple of months ago and basically got shot down in flames for not having a rolling road printout for the gains you can get from carbs.
    Check these guys out......
    http://www.shenpar.com/engines.php

CARBI'S ARE THE FUTURE!

mmm id love to do either! but you still use the standard computer with TB's yeah? more tuning and getting it right with carbs? either way would be special!

PDJ

You'd need aftermarket management and a rolling road session or 2 to set it up. You would be up for some nice re-wiring too.

Shot down? It depends on what model specifically you're talking about. For example, 16V conversions are less desirable to run on carbs as you have to go backwards in either adding 8V distributor, or else add management to control the spark. So you may as well add TB's anyway.

An S1/S2 205 with Jetronic is more of a candidate, as it has a dizzy to control the spark. Spark is totally separate to fuel in terms of management. Many carb conversions have poor fuel consumption because there is no vacuum advance to add spark for light load conditions.

An S3 on carbs would be like a 16V. You'd have to add new management to control the spark, or fit an S1/S2 dizzy. Again backwards.

Then you need to consider the design on the inlet manifold itself. Is it a limiting factor? A good plenum chamber design is equal to TB's anyway. For example, there's no way I'd put a GTi6 on carbs or TB's for the street.

As a starting point, I'd suggest putting it on aftermarket management anyway. Dispense with the AFM and dizzy and fit a coil pack. You'll be amazed at the difference. You can always add TB's or carbs (if you must) later.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Take a look on youtube. Many 205 GTIs are running R1 carbs. These are considerably cheaper to obtain than twin Webers so it's an option. Bogg Brothers could fabricate you the manifold to fit the carbs, typically 180 British Pounds.

The Shenpar link that was posted has a picutre of what appear to be R1 carbs... I wonder what their prices are like compared to Bogg Bros?

I picked up my set of R1 Mikunis off ebay from a chap in the US. Cost me about $180 in total to get them here. New needles and seats cost about $50 (sourced from the US as buying them from Yamaha Australia you'll pay a 200% markup) and a bunch of Vitron o-rings from SKF to refresh the old ones.

So yes, best to factor that in if you do the conversion. Also, you'll need jets and adjustable needles (the US needles aren't adjustable, but you could get away with shimming). Needle kit (Dynojet) ~$120 from the US. Jets are cheap at $4 ea, but you need four, and a variety of sizes. So to get started it's best to pick up three sizes, so about $50.

As you can see, it gets expensive quickly... but not too bad at around $450 (~$350 if you shim the needles) if you're happy to source parts from the US, ebay, and SKF. Still cheaper than two refreshed Webers, I'd imagine.

PDJ

Have you checked out the carbi conversion on http://www.205gtidrivers.com/ ?

Having spent many years with DCOES on various cars, and others with programmable injection, injection is the easiest and gets the best out of the engine everywhere, whereas the Webers, as good as they are in the carb world, are still a compromise on mixture at certain points in the rev range/ throttle position. Generally there is better response from injection down low as the fuel is better atomised.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

i have a matched set of twin 40mm dellortos that i would part with for $200? as mentioned it would only really be worth doing to a S1 or S2 car with a dizzy. makes the engine bay look pleasantly differrent i think and they definatley sound awsome.

Thread Information