How far with Low Fuel light on
  • Register
  • Help

Default How far with Low Fuel light on

Anyone know how far you can go with the low fuel warning light on with a 308 2lt diesel
    Reason I ask is the' how far to go mileage' still gives a 100 or so k's to go

Advertisement

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Decca View Post
    Anyone know how far you can go with the low fuel warning light on with a 308 2lt diesel
    Reason I ask is the' how far to go mileage' still gives a 100 or so k's to go

Decca
    My wife's Peugeot 306 petrol goes further than I dare think about with the yellow light on. Quite a few tens of km. I'd presume the light comes on with no less than about 5 litres sloshing around, the tanks being 60L+ in capacity - so 100 km seems quite a reasonable judgement.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Icon6

G'day,
    the 'how far to go mileage' indicator depends on your driving style. Plant your foot and the indicator will drop rather alarmingly. If you really want to test it, throw a jerry can of fuel in the boot and drive until you run out. Assuming of course, that the car will start when you place new fuel in. Some do, some don't. Read the owners manual, it should indicate if you can run out of fuel and restart.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    the 'how far to go mileage' indicator depends on your driving style. Plant your foot and the indicator will drop rather alarmingly. If you really want to test it, throw a jerry can of fuel in the boot and drive until you run out. Assuming of course, that the car will start when you place new fuel in. Some do, some don't. Read the owners manual, it should indicate if you can run out of fuel and restart.
    Run out of fuel. Diesel. Hmmm. You'd want to know it will self-prime the injector system. I presume modern ones do this OK but I don't know.

My yellow light causes immediate adrenalin production and a lightening of the foot!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Run out of fuel. Diesel. Hmmm. You'd want to know it will self-prime the injector system. I presume modern ones do this OK but I don't know.

My yellow light causes immediate adrenalin production and a lightening of the foot!

Cheers
    Come on, don't you remember how fun it was to push on the plunger to reprime the system.

Ok, after 50 cycles it got a little tiresome I must admit...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Come on, don't you remember how fun it was to push on the plunger to reprime the system.

Ok, after 50 cycles it got a little tiresome I must admit...

Dave
    For me, this only happened with 4WD vehicles in the back of beyond before electronic injection on diesels. Never again, I hope......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,

Mine's a 2.0l 307 Hdi so much the same engine if not identical.

Yes I ran out of fuel once - The warning light came on and I had about 30 miles to get home - ran out with 5 to go.

I rang Peugeot Assist and waited a good 20 mins on the phone with no reponse so I gave up and caught a bus to get to a station. Bought a can of fuel and got the next bus back.

The car would't start by itself. I had to repeatedly (over about 20 mins of trying) pump the bulb in the fuel line. Eventually I had to open the drain/bleed screw on the fuel filter housing to get all the air out and fuel in - only then did it run without stopping.

It took a few miles of driving to eventually return to normal operation.

I haven't run out again!

I'll take it until the meter is past the last marker
    the computer has then already given up on how much I can drive. It stops at 30 km of possible distance to drive but I have often done more than that. The lower the meter gets the more fuel efficient I tend to drive.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Mine's a 2.0l 307 Hdi so much the same engine if not identical.

Yes I ran out of fuel once - The warning light came on and I had about 30 miles to get home - ran out with 5 to go.

I rang Peugeot Assist and waited a good 20 mins on the phone with no reponse so I gave up and caught a bus to get to a station. Bought a can of fuel and got the next bus back.

The car would't start by itself. I had to repeatedly (over about 20 mins of trying) pump the bulb in the fuel line. Eventually I had to open the drain/bleed screw on the fuel filter housing to get all the air out and fuel in - only then did it run without stopping.

It took a few miles of driving to eventually return to normal operation.

I haven't run out again!
    Thanks for the tip Roland
    I'd imagine with modern cars the distance to go would be fairly similar in identical cars
    Your experience tells me once the light is on head to the nearest servo

I did about 8k a couple of nights ago thinking I'd be ok. But my mind goes back to about 2004 when I did about 70k in a Hi Ace van (and still didnt run out!)...not concerned as I had spare fuel in the back

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

My wife is constantly driving whilst the fuel light is on in our 2.0L 307. You'll be fine until the computer stops telling you how far to go. That's when you start to panic.

Took the Pug to Bathurst last weekend and had the fuel light come on whilst driving home. We filled up in West Wyalong and the fuel light came on when we were a few kms outside of Tailem Bend in SA. Drove it all the way in to Murray Bridge and filled up in there. I think it was still saying about 80kms DTE.

Fellow Frogger!

When the low fuel message & warning light comes on, you have enough fuel left to drive approximately 50 km, according to the owner's manual.

When the range falls below 30 km, dashes are displayed on the trip computer.

These figures are calculated based on current fuel consumption rates, so obviously the remaining range will vary depending on how fast you burn what's left of the fuel hereon.

Running out of fuel on a HDI engine is particularly inconvenient, mostly because you have to reprime the fuel circuit as has been pointed out - refer to the manual for instructions.

In our 308 HDi Touring I've found the fuel gauge to be rather accurate, and certainly not optimistic. I've put 60.0 litres in a few times, so it certainly takes 60 litres, but we've also been on the freeway with the distance to mt indicating something like 80km's, which within about 15 km's became 50km's and then nothing, and then spluttering, but luckily we were within coasting distance of a fuel stop. I tend to trust the fuel light when it comes on and start looking for fuel sooner rather than later.

I find the distance to mt varies every time when down to the last few litres, and it might even be affected by how diligent the last person was in getting in the last litre or so.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

UFO

And you should remember that Euro vehicles typically have the fuel pick up on the right of the tank. Fine in a LHD country where the fuel drains to the right - not so great in a RHD country where it drains to the left. All to do with road camber.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

My 306 (petrol) routinely shows me the low fuel light with around 10l still in the tank. Not all those 10l are usable though. This coincides with around 100km range. I usually do one more trip to work and back after the light comes on - around 70ks and never had a problem.

I honestly don't know where all the various pugs have their fuel pumps, but it can be a very bad thing to run some cars dry. Damage to the fuel pump is not uncommon when the first pump is tank mounted and relies on a bit of fuel circulation for cooling.

Generally speaking with high fuel rail pressures in modern cars and common rail diesel injection, most things will self prime if you know what you are doing. However, this is often a bad place to find yourself.

Best recommendation I can make is run the tank until the light comes on, fill it to the top, take the fuel added away from the tank volume listed in your owners manual and you will at least have an estimate of the fuel left in the tank. Take a further couple of liters off that figure for "unusable" volume and you can work out your approximate range once the light comes on.

I had a BF V8 Falcon ute that would do just about precisely 40ks after the light came on and not even give a warning cough, just stop dead. Only did it twice, then figured out the light really meant fill me now.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Thread Information