Misbehaving flasher light
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Misbehaving flasher light

This has been driving me crazy for months, as posted a while ago.The green flasher works sometimes perfectly, sometimes, or not at all as it sees fit.For rego a few months ago it sometimes worked on the way there, was perfect for the inspection [good car], and stopped again on the way home. Grrrr. Today I decided I would win. Dash out,circuit board out of dash, all contacts cleaned with both emery paper and circuit board cleaner, all globe enclosures cleaned and a few new bulbs to replace dull ones. Result? Didn't work and the test light told me no power to the board from the appropriate wire. Hmm.... it was working sometimes in the past and I got a flash or 2 today. No amount of wiggling wires made it better. Plan B! I had bought a couple of green LEDs a few months ago with the idea of putting them in the top corners of the dash but they were too thick to fit with their fancy chrome surrounds etc. but tiny ones would fit so to Plan C. I put them in the centre consol near the [non-functioning] AC vents-one on each side. I tried connecting directly to the [newish] flasher can - no go. Plan D. On the passenger's side is the wiring loom to the back- Testing in the boot I knew I needed 1 blue wire[there were 3!] and 1 white[ of 2]. Eventually found the right ones and tapped into them so Now I have a dedicated LHS and RHS flasher indicator light! Why did they not do that on the first place??? And guess what? the one in the middle of the dash has decided to get back into action as well.
    For the sake of a bit of fiddling this is a good mod and if you use tiny LEDs they will fit if you drill a tiny hole in the top corners of the dash. And it gave me the excuse to pull the consol out to change over the dodgy radio at the same time[tomorrow's problem will be working out which wire is which in the spaghetti of wiring there from various radios etc.] Neil

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Neil ! - enjoyed reading your post, although not aware what model pug is the subject. I have a similar issue in my 206/180, although the blinkers function perfectly. I am about 6ft when vertical, and appropriately proportioned when seated. Shame for the cause of ergonomics that the steering wheel is positioned exactly to obscure my view of the blinker tell-tales at all times. I know it is really my own fault : I should be 5ft 3" as the designers intended; (just a late thought that the steering column is adjustable, and I haven't tried that (mental note to apologize to peugeot back room people in the event my sarcasm is unfounded.) Still, a couple of led's as per your reference appeared to me some while back to be a likely tactic in any event. I must give it a try. Thanks for sharing

Fellow Frogger!

It is a 78 504 and they only have one light for the flasher- a bummer if it doesn't work! Neil

Thread Information