lowering my 306 gti
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default lowering my 306 gti

hi everyone

i new to the sceen in regards to euro cars... are there any places in OZ who sell suspension kits for 306 gti's ? ive been looking for a while and there all from the UK...

also the kits ive seen lower the car from 30mm, 40mm and 60mm... just wanna see if anyone here has lowered a 306 gti and what was the clearance from the guard and wheels?

thanks

Advertisement

It's the same procedure as lowering a 205 or 405. Do a search.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Haven't got a better pic side on, but mines got Eibach front springs (-30mm) & adjusted rear bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowering my 306 gti-ph.island.jpg  
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Probably 30mm is max you would want to go. It will dramatically change the character of the car though. The lowering springs mentioned above will do the job if your after the look of lowering. The rear torsion bars will then have to be reset to match the front height.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Default Eibach

If you want a set I have a s/h set of Eibach springs for a 306 also a set of spax coilover pm me if your interested.
    Matt

Most of them GTI or rallyes, the last ones are non GTI's. Gives you a good idea on how low you want to go. I can get you more details if you tell me what car.

www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Tadpole

thanks people for the info... much thanks

Tadpole

Pm sent to runabout...

It will look great lowered but don't expect it to handle as good as it does standard unless you fit larger rear torsion bars as well as lowered front springs.

I don't know about 306s but if they are anything like 205s they don't respond well to being lowered too much. Somewhere on here there is a link to a great article about handling. A search should find it...
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

Default Torsion bars

Hey everyone, first post on here but have been using aussiefrogs as a resource for a while. I owe the forum a debt of gratitude for putting me in touch with the gentlemen at PQ Automotive: brilliant mechanics.

Would love to lower my 6 but am worried that lowering the torsion bar will make the cost prohibitive. Has anyone done it themselves? (see: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=63880)

I'm thinking of buying some Bilstein/Eibach springs to lower the front by 35-40mm, lower the rear torsion bar, paint the wheels gloss black and black mask the headlights. Mmmmmmmmm.

As said above, its going to upset the balance of the car unless other things are done to aid with the compressing of the current setup. MacPherson strut design is not the best and does not respond well to excessive lowering if not done correctly. By all means do it but just dont expect it to be as good as it is now. Lowering the rear by means of the torsion bars is the normal practice, but as said by Patpug you will need to upgrade them for it all to work well.

This is a great read if your interested to know why. Its a little long and a bit complicated but will give you a great basic knowledge of how it all works

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=120157

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

Has anyone actually driven a GTi 6 before and after lowering? Would be interested to hear your thoughts Jeff (pgti6).

Given that the drop isn't too ridiculous (30mm for the Eibachs) I'm willing to give it a try. Will report back when I get the drop done at the same time as her next service

I had my car in standard configuration for the first couple of years & remember spirited drives through the Black Spur & onto Eildon & loved the way it handled.

Everything I'd read about the sublime handling of the GTi6 seemed true.

However, I decided to participate in club sprints so fitted the Eibach's & had the rear lowered at the same time. It made the car more planted on the track, but the ride & suspension compliance suffered terribly during most normal commuter driving. Best way I can describe it is that the front & rear feel uncoordinated.

As I understand it, the standard shocks work through 4 load settings-soft, hard, soft, hard & with the car lowered the shocks are reacting incorrectly to the load being applied through the suspension.

As others have said, it's best left alone if you want the handling for which the car is well renowned.

Here's a nice article from their suspension guru, Jean Baudin-
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pgti6; 26th April 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

I've never felt the urge to lower my S16. There have been times when I've found in standard trim it is too low (some driveways, supermarket speed humps with a full car, etc) so I hate to think what it would be like maneuvering these types of things with a car lowered by 30mm or more!!

As has been said, the handling in standard trim (provided everything is in tip top condition) is ecellent.

Changing from worn out suspension to new modified may seem like an improvement. but it may actually not be as good as it would have been with new OEM stuff

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by chris_gti6 View Post
    Hey everyone, first post on here but have been using aussiefrogs as a resource for a while. I owe the forum a debt of gratitude for putting me in touch with the gentlemen at PQ Automotive: brilliant mechanics.

Would love to lower my 6 but am worried that lowering the torsion bar will make the cost prohibitive. Has anyone done it themselves? (see: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=63880)

I'm thinking of buying some Bilstein/Eibach springs to lower the front by 35-40mm, lower the rear torsion bar, paint the wheels gloss black and black mask the headlights. Mmmmmmmmm.

Hi,

As mentioned, it's not a very difficult job to lower the torsion bar rear end. I did it on my 205 and I assume that it is a very similar job on the 6. If it all goes to plan you can get it done in a couple of hours. Do a search on here and you will find that most folk recommend using a dummy shock type of special tool to get both sides at the same height easily. If you're unlucky, the torsion bars can be seized into the trailing arm - then you're in for some serious fun and games - not!

I would seriously recommend not fitting stiffer front springs without uprating your rear TBs - I made this mistake on my car, but now have thicker Tbs too so it's better. Upgraded torsion bars are probably going to be in the region af around $900 a pair - not cheap...

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    As said above, its going to upset the balance of the car unless other things are done to aid with the compressing of the current setup. MacPherson strut design is not the best and does not respond well to excessive lowering if not done correctly. By all means do it but just dont expect it to be as good as it is now. Lowering the rear by means of the torsion bars is the normal practice, but as said by Patpug you will need to upgrade them for it all to work well.

This is a great read if your interested to know why. Its a little long and a bit complicated but will give you a great basic knowledge of how it all works

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=120157

Cam
    So have you got around to lowering your car yet? Haven't seen you for a while - I have been AWOL I admit...
    205 gti-6

Tadpole

Default Uprated torsion bar and ARB

Does anyone know where you could get an uprated (21mm) rear torsion bar? They were fitted on Xsara VTSs so it would be a struggle finding one.

Also in the market for a thicker anti-roll bar. Spoox in the UK stock them for 175 quid and by all accounts they tighten up the rear end fantastically.

Does anyone know when to expect the rear shocks will give out? My car's done about 140k and it seems a waste taking the rear torsion bars out and not replacing the dampers at the same time.

Cheers

See PeterT's info no where to get TBs in this thread: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...96#post1052096

If you read the article posted by pgti6, it mentions that the design of the pug shocks mean that they should last "the life of the car" - whatever that means, I would say 140k is pretty low - unless it's had a hard life.

The shocks are easily changed without removing the TBs so don't let that sway your decision.

Pat
    205 gti-6

I replaced the shocks on my S16 at 171,000KM. They were getting pretty floaty but weren't completely shot. I replaced them with genuine peugeot shocks. I figured if I was happy with the way the car was when they were new, then why risk changing to something else that may or may not be better (better being a subjective term).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information