Cheap 405 Mi16 - what to look out for?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Cheap 405 Mi16 - what to look out for?

I've got a chance to pick up a 1990 405 Mi16 for about $500 - it's unregistered, the paint is pretty faded and it has some sort of non-standard fat exhaust on it but it goes fine - engine revved willingly up to the red line, brakes work fine, no obvious oil leaks or problems. Synchro possibly dodgy on 5th gear.
    So, anything particularl I should be looking for, or common issues on these cars, especially around getting a blue slip?
    It seems like quite a bit of car for the money, and it would be great fun to thrash around the hills, so should I or shouldn't I?!

Advertisement
    Goonengerry 505

steering rack boots
    driveshaft boots
    control arm bushes
    ball joints
    rear trailing arm bearing failure
    rear brake caliper slides seized

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

MI 16 owners will be best to comment on the actual model so I'll leave it to them. Here's standard practical advice.

First of all what documented service
    history is available for the car ? If not available budget for worst case scenario. Secondly if it needs work are you able to do the mechanical work yourself ? Last but not least is to consider the dollars needed based on the first two answers. Then if it stacks up to your budget buy it : )

most importantly when was its last timing belt change? and if you can it would be a good idea to give it a compression test.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

How much are you willing/able to spend on repairs and maintenance.
    My son paid 3500 for a black 89 Mi16 lux pack 150,000km that the previous owner had spent 20k on over the previous 8 years.
    He tipped another 3500 into it in rep/mnt,still needs work, still only worth <2k.
    Leave it to someone doing a 205Mi16.

1000+ Posts

Default do your sums

iv owned a couple of these ,most people who have, regret selling them ,as there so much fun but they need to be cared for, by the time you put rego on it you will be up for another $800 to $1000,unless your a pensioner ,if the timing belt brakes or the pump or tensioners fails causing same, the motors toast, to get the belt, pump and tensioners done im sure would be over $1000 EASY ,although with a little know how from the forum its not to bad a job if your handy. Whats wrong with 5th ,i had one loose 5th as it had sheered the pline on the main shaft as the nut had come loose ,if thats the problem its another box ,Byron Brunswick wrecking have a few ,a young guy working there had one ,but they want the earth for most things, theres a realy tidy one on here for sale in the A.C.T ,for about a grand he cant get rid of it ,i have a SRI/MI with rego that i have to shift, these prices are depressing me hope i wasnt to negative PUGS

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    iv owned a couple of these ,most people who have, regret selling them ,as there so much fun but they need to be cared for, by the time you put rego on it you will be up for another $800 to $1000,unless your a pensioner ,if the timing belt brakes or the pump or tensioners fails causing same, the motors toast, to get the belt, pump and tensioners done im sure would be over $1000 EASY ,although with a little know how from the forum its not to bad a job if your handy. Whats wrong with 5th ,i had one loose 5th as it had sheered the pline on the main shaft as the nut had come loose ,if thats the problem its another box ,Byron Brunswick wrecking have a few ,a young guy working there had one ,but they want the earth for most things, theres a realy tidy one on here for sale in the A.C.T ,for about a grand he cant get rid of it ,i have a SRI/MI with rego that i have to shift, these prices are depressing me hope i wasnt to negative PUGS
    Yeah, there's a red Mi16 at bruns wreckers...the young bloke who's selling the car (apparently for a mate) knew about it...possibly a bit suss...he seemed like he worked in the trade...I'm going to leave it anyway not only due to all the good, sober advice above, thanks guys, but also because it makes more sense to save up and get a better one later on...
    One thing I do know now - it's going to be fun when the time comes
    Goonengerry 505

Buy something with as many airbags as you can get.

For 500$ you could buy it and drive it into the ground. It'll be cheap awesome fun. Don't bother changing anything as long as it goes. Not even the oil.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    For 500$ you could buy it and drive it into the ground. It'll be cheap awesome fun. Don't bother changing anything as long as it goes. Not even the oil.
    I was thinking the same thing!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Buy something with as many airbags as you can get.
    For $500? You'd look funny walking around with just a steering wheel in your hands.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

steering wheels have air bags dopey

ummm, correct me if im wrong, but wasn't that the joke?
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Well, schlitz, I was kind of thinking that myself...
    Goonengerry 505

By the time you'd register it - it makes it a $2k car, without any work to get it to a "reliable" state...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

No!

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    No!

Dave
    no to what?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

i've got a mi16 that has done near enough to 290k km. and i paid about 2500 for it easter 2010.
    It has a few issues, it idles WWWAAYYYY too high, the air con seems to be either hot or cold, the paint is pretty well shagged, the sunroof seems to decide on any given day if it is going to work, and there are probably others that i have forgotten about!! Its had aftermarket suspension of some form , certainly lower and harder than my last Mi which makes it not as comfortable, and certainly SLOWER than a standard Mi. I reckon it had done 265k km when i bought it , so have done about 25 k in it in the time i have had it...
    Since i got it i have had:
    new rad
    new cable for reverse made up
    rego
    insurance

and thats pretty much it!

for me, it has been a brilliant buy, I have a fairmont (EF) for when i just wanna cruise, but i generally take the Mi as the 1st choice... I was talking ot my dad this morning, and he could tell by the noise of the Pug which car I was in, and he said " you really like that thing dont ya" and its a definite YES!!

For 500 bucks i gotta say you really cant go wrong!!

I paid 700 for my red mi16 about 2 years ago. And although it did need a bit of work which cost me nothing, (mainly because of the parts car out the back and the fact that i did the work), it has been the best 700 bucks i've spent! cost me about 1500 on the road, including timing belt, rego, rwc, insurance (third party).
    Best of all you've always got something to do on the weekend! Either fix it, clean it or thrash it!!
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Best of all you've always got something to do on the weekend! Either fix it, clean it or thrash it!!
    thats the other thing about these things, they really seem to enjoy a good solid thrashing!!

Mine is much happier getting its neck rung somewhere, or even cruising on the highway (a little loud but hey! ) than it is sitting in traffic, where it'll start to get warm and buck and fart and carry on

al

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    I'm going to leave it anyway not only due to all the good, sober advice above, thanks guys, but also because it makes more sense to save up and get a better one later on...
    I don't think "good" ones don't come up for sale very often.

Mine had a fortune spent on it between I bought it the first time in 2004 and the start of this year when I bought it back, but it still took plenty of cash to get it right.

I think the rough ones are probably more honest, but you need to be willing to do the work to get them right. They are worth it though. I had forgotten how good they are, and mine is fantastic with fresh paint and engine work we did.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Mi16's are great cars, but fragile. A lot can go wrong, and most things are expensive to fix.

5-10 years ago, you could probably say "find a good one", but these days, they are all going to be ratty and well past their economic service life if you want to maintain and keep them anything like they ought to be - even if they are well presented and have a good service history.

If you feel you must do it, either put aside $20k and know it still won't be right, or spend <$1500 to get it on the road, and only change fluids 'til it's run into the ground.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go View Post
    Mi16's are great cars, but fragile. A lot can go wrong, and most things are expensive to fix.

5-10 years ago, you could probably say "find a good one", but these days, they are all going to be ratty and well past their economic service life if you want to maintain and keep them anything like they ought to be - even if they are well presented and have a good service history.

If you feel you must do it, either put aside $20k and know it still won't be right, or spend <$1500 to get it on the road, and only change fluids 'til it's run into the ground.
    Unreliable maybe, although apart from the heater controls I've never found this to be the case, but certainly not fragile in terms of body strength and drive train toughness, these cars will take any amount of hard driving.
    Graham

My wife's Mi16 (1993 car) cost us 6800$, came from Sydney and had 70k on the clock at 14 years of age. I am pretty sure the rear doors had never been opened before we bought it. I am pretty sure nobody ever sat in the front passenger seat either. It came with a stack of very nice and clean yellow manilla folders with service receipts, one folder for each year of its life. In total 52k$ spent on the car, always dealer serviced.

The car looked like a brand new car inside out and went like one.

We still had to change the radiator (leak impossible to find, but fixed with new radiator), the heater core (small leak found instantly because of windshield fogging green), timing belt with the lot (was just coming up for age, not km when bought), starter motor (the weirdest thing I've seen in my life, the stator magnets came off and stuck to the rotor), K&N air filter, new clutch cable, some little bits I can't remember, tires (Contis). Recently had 1500$ worth of wiring replaced in the engine bay for some reason (don't remember, don't want to). Except for the wiring job I did everything else with parts from EAI.

Goes like no car we've had before, it's comfortable, plushy and fast when it needs to. You can have a decent conversation inside and enjoy music at the same time. A/C works nicely. It's just about to tick over 100kkm.

But that doesn't mean you need to spend all that money. We did because it's my wife's car and I'm not going to have her stuck in the road waiting for someone to call the tow truck.

For fun, you can just monkey the car through the rego hoops (which can be done perhaps for next to nothing if nothing major needs done) and thrash the heck out of it.

I too believe that most of the car is going to be falling to bits well before the engine is going to give up the ghost.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 7th October 2011 at 05:00 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Unreliable maybe, although apart from the heater controls I've never found this to be the case, but certainly not fragile in terms of body strength and drive train toughness, these cars will take any amount of hard driving.
    Graham
    mines cost me far less to run than my 200k EFII fairmont has, and i give the Pug a far harder time when i am driving it...

Really cant think of anything else that is as much fun, with as much room, for as cheap as an Mi16...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information