405 HID headlights
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 HID headlights

A few months ago I bought a 405 srdt to commute between my home in Kinglake and work in melbourne, it's been a great car but was seriously lacking in the headlight department. At first I put a set of lightforce combo driving lights on the front which make a huge difference (I believe at least 2 wombats are still alive today thanks to my use of these lights) but lo beam was absolutely woeful with the standard h4's in the headlights.
    Last week I decided to bite the Bulet and purchased a HID conversion from eBay. The kit arrived yesterday (from a seller in Sydney). It took under an hour to fit and adjust and I've just driven home with it, the light it puts out is amazing.
    I was a little worried about beam adjustment after reading stories of people converting to hid and having trouble adjusting the beam as to not daze other drivers, but the way this kit is set up the globes have a reflector built in that makes the beam seem as adjustable as the standard light.
    So far am very happy with my purchase, it was only $80 including postage and comes with a local 2 year replacement warranty (which I hope I don't have to try out).

Advertisement

HID are great for the user but not so for "other" road users... I m in two minds about the technology... they certainly can put out a "great" light with good reflectors... Its strange though, I feel they are almost socially irresponsible... I think I ll only install them in my high beams... At the end of the day, HB can be switched on when light is really needed and low beams can be improved with one of the new fancy *50%, *80% or *100% globes....

dino

*more light

If you don't mind me asking, what is the link to the kit on ebay?

Icon14 Where can I get some too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    seriously lacking in the headlight department.

Yeap. My 405 has crap headlights too. I think it is just what was OK in the mid 80's.

I did the same thing. I got a pair of 'Roo Light' driving lights, and can say that a few local Kangaroos and my bonnet have avoided getting to know each other too well.

i had thought about HID lights, but I thought it was illegal to retro-fit cars with them. Not that I care, but I don't want to have the Road Nazis pull me over issuing fines, or worse defect notices.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the legal position of fitting HID globes to an old car.

If it isn't going to get me into too much trouble, I'll get a set too.

I like the High beam only option.

Around here (Great ocean Road, Victoria) heaps of people leave their light beams on when driving towards other cars. I figure they are city people (cue banjos, and 'Deliverance' theme song) who rarely use them and forget they are on. So, having eye melting driving light can be fun as a reply, but I'd rather not blind anyone else.

Still the 405's have a light dipping switch, and I think that is not an issue with correctly adjusted lights.
    Last edited by paulrb; 2nd October 2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

I thought maybe it was just my 405 headlights that are rubbish! I had some HIDs in my 205 headlights that made a great improvement.

At the moment I'm driving an '85 RX7. The standard headlights are great! Probably even better than the 205 with HIDs was.

The main issue is that he refractive lenses within the headlight unit aren't designed for HID bulbs - hence why it isn't the best thing for other drivers on the road, or individuals who poorly install them - so the bulbs rattle around or are poorly adjusted.

Having recently had a car with HID's - there is no comparison. A worthy option when purchasing a new car.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

The link to the kit I bought is bellow. I bought the 4300 one to give a more original looking beam and to reduce glare in wet and foggy conditions.
    Before they arived I did wonder about their beams being OK for other motorists and was thinking that if they were likely to dazzle people going the other way and adjustment couldn't be made to rectify this, I'd take them out and use them as hi beam only in the inner lights on my ute (uses H4 globes for it's inner high beams).
    I also asked a few questions to a few other ebay sellers about their lights, of all the "local sellers" this was the one who seemed to have the best info available (and also the best grasp of the English language).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55W-HID-B...item336c97debd

1000+ Posts

Yep, we've discussed the 405 headlights issue before on this forum. My high beams are OK, but the lows are terrible. I wouldn't retrofit HID's (I remember someone saying they're illegal) but I can definitely see why you would!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

in NSW they are legal to fit to older cars only if they are internally adjustable and/or have headlight washers

i can fit them to the 605 and the 604 (i wonder if the plod would push to actually see the adjusters work)

the 605 are adjustable and have washers, the 604's came with adjusters but they all stopped working 2 weeks after they left the dealerships
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

So that kit comes with H4-3 bulbs, how does the transition from low to high beam go? Is there anyway of adjusting how much the bulb moves? or can you adjust the built in reflector?

Also are the H4-3 bulbs bigger than the standard halogen H4 bulbs?
    How does the 4300K rate colour wise compared to a halogen?

My series one 405 has pathetic low beams, and driving lights so great high beams.
    But on the other hand my series 2 has the high beams better than the series one with driving lights. And the low beams are really good to. As for as I know its all standard!

Angru was it hard to fit the HID's into the 405?
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Aren't they the same as the BX headlights? If so whack some 100watt globes in there and some relays, and they'll be fantastic.

If you want really bad headlights try a Xantia, if you so bad there god damn dangerous try a Citroen XM. I reckon 6volt traction non hologen lights would be vastly better. I have an XM here with factory light protectors/covers over the headlights. The light are so poor you need a torch to find your way into the shed if it's dark and you have the headlights on (a dolphin torch puts out considerably more light).

Anything Pre-PSA made has brilliant headlights. If only we could fit CX/GS/DS headlights to these PSA made heaps of junk in order to get some decent headlights

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Nope, not the same headlights. The BX has bigger reflectors which are a more full, square shape. The area of the reflector has a lot to do with output on normal bulb type lights.

I must admit, I haven't messed around with many higher wattage or greater output bulbs as I don't do great amounts of night driving. I tried slightly higher wattage bulbs and that's it (can't remember what wattage now). I should try the '+' type bulbs mentioned above. I'm pretty sure the stock wiring is borderline even for the stock bulbs, so relays would be a good idea.

When I bought my 405 they had 130w lows in them, but had no extra output because of the lack of current available! The previous owner mustn't have had a clue about electrics.

The 405 has adjustable lights, but yeah, mine don't work either Rambo.

I didn't know the S2 had different lights.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

If you get yourself a set of lenses, you won't be bothering anyone. I have those in the 505 and they are definitely amazing. But you'll have to change the front glass with something 100% clear.

Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Thread Information