505 Front Strut differences
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 505 Front Strut differences

Hi
    I am in the process of renewing the front shockies on my 1987 505 GTD and I noticed when comparing the struts from the GTD with those from my old STI parts car that the base of the springs on the GTD are offset whereas the STI shocks and springs share a common axis. Can anyone tell me why this is so? and is one of these arrangements better than the other? I do remember the STI had particularly fine steering and handling compared to the GTD.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 505.O.na View Post
    Hi
    I am in the process of renewing the front shockies on my 1987 505 GTD and I noticed when comparing the struts from the GTD with those from my old STI parts car that the base of the springs on the GTD are offset whereas the STI shocks and springs share a common axis. Can anyone tell me why this is so? and is one of these arrangements better than the other? I do remember the STI had particularly fine steering and handling compared to the GTD.
    This is to reduce friction in the shafts and give a better ride. Also less wear on the seals and guides.
    Graham

Thread Information