Rubber of choice?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rubber of choice?

Hi all.

Currently getting my 15' wheels Powder coated for for 205, so they will be looking shmicko when they get back.

But my question is: What tyres should i be looking for?

Advertisement

• Something sporty & soft(ish), obviously
    • Not going to hurt my pocket too much!!!!
    • Reasonable wear
    • Maybe like a 205/50/15

Ive used Pirelli P6000 which were good, as well as continental contact(#?) which were good too.

What is good money going to get me....and whats reasonable money going to get me is more my question...

Cheers guys

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Hi all.

Currently getting my 15' wheels Powder coated for for 205, so they will be looking shmicko when they get back.

But my question is: What tyres should i be looking for?

• Something sporty & soft(ish), obviously
    • Not going to hurt my pocket too much!!!!
    • Reasonable wear
    • Maybe like a 205/50/15

Ive used Pirelli P6000 which were good, as well as continental contact(#?) which were good too.

What is good money going to get me....and whats reasonable money going to get me is more my question...

Cheers guys

Goodrich G-Force in 195 50 15.
    The car finally steered like it was suppsed to after fitting these.
    Graham

I'll look into it. Thanks Graham.

Are the 205/15 just too wide for the 205 rear without some sort of spacer? From memory they scrubbed up the inside?

I had been shown by the tyre fella, TOYO proxes 4's and TOYO proxes T1R's. Reasonable price...

I agree with above although I also like Michelin PS3 for all-round performance, particularly in the wet.
    I just recently acquired another GTI which had 205's on it and the tyres rubbed both inner guards at the front and rear.
    Personally I love the original tyre size of 185/55 x 15 although it does limit tyre choice and they can be more costly than the same tyre in 195/50 x 15 which most people tend to go for.

Yeah in the tyres ive looked at they do both the 195/15 and the 205/15...so perhaps ill lock in the 195's. I found the Michelins to be just too expensive!

Appreciate the feedback though. Theres probably numerous threads discussing it but one more wont hurt

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I agree with above although I also like Michelin PS3 for all-round performance, particularly in the wet.
    I just recently acquired another GTI which had 205's on it and the tyres rubbed both inner guards at the front and rear.
    Personally I love the original tyre size of 185/55 x 15 although it does limit tyre choice and they can be more costly than the same tyre in 195/50 x 15 which most people tend to go for.
    I picked up a brand new Michelin 185 55 15 the other day.
    LH1, a tyre made for OE fitting to new cars, so top quality.
    It would be an unused spare, I would be interested in a mate for it or sell to someone who has one.
    Graham

Sort of relevant. I recently had 205/45 X16 Toyo Proxes T1-R fitted to my 206 GTi. They grip very well, and are quieter and ride better than the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s that were there before. They do not react as quickly as the Yokohamas to steering inputs, but don't "tramline" nearly as much. Not as extreme a tyre.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger!

Although I run them on the 306 I would also run them on the 205 if it was a daily is the Yokohama S-drive, quiet tyre but grips like crazy, just got a new set and they were $185 each.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Are the 205/15 just too wide for the 205 rear without some sort of spacer? From memory they scrubbed up the inside?
    They're too wide because the rim is only 6". You'll have all that extra rubber wallowing around, spoiling the handling.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy View Post
    Although I run them on the 306 I would also run them on the 205 if it was a daily is the Yokohama S-drive, quiet tyre but grips like crazy, just got a new set and they were $185 each.
    What do you (and others) mean by quiet?
    Tyre roar/whine, squeal or bump thump over holes?
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 1st October 2011 at 07:06 PM.

Generally I think most people are referring to tyre " roar " or road noise. It seemed to increase as tread design altered to disperse more water and tyre profiles reduced.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Goodrich G-Force in 195 50 15.
    The car finally steered like it was suppsed to after fitting these.
    Graham

I agree that they steered well on my 205 and as good as any sport tyre in the dry, but notably hopeless in the wet. I have friends who agree with a set on a gti6 and sportivo corolla. I won't buy these tyres again.

Gil

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bobomacho View Post
    I agree that they steered well on my 205 and as good as any sport tyre in the dry, but notably hopeless in the wet. I have friends who agree with a set on a gti6 and sportivo corolla. I won't buy these tyres again.

Gil
    OK, we were in a drought when I got them!

The only road tyres I have ever had that have been good in the wet are the C-Drives I have on my Si.
    I remember buying Falkens for my first 205 after they won a Modern Motor tyre test, they were useless in the wet, huge power understeer at will, OE Michelin MXVs much better.
    The Silverstone gravel rally tyres on my rally 205 are very good on wet bitumen but of course have a competition compound.
    Graham

Great value for money tyre is the Federal 595RS-R. I have had them on a 205 and another car and value for money they are excellent.

Toyo R888s are the ultimate performance tyre, but don't last long and very costly...
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    Great value for money tyre is the Federal 595RS-R. I have had them on a 205 and another car and value for money they are excellent.

Toyo R888s are the ultimate performance tyre, but don't last long and very costly...
    I had Federal 195 55 15s on an Mi16 at a track day at Sandown and they simply disintegrated.
    Graham

I put some Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalins on my Mi16 and the grip is bloody nice...
    Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them at least in your consideration list.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

[LIST][*]Something sporty & soft(ish), obviously
    I dont get the obviousness of the criteria.

I'm assuming you mean sidewall.

Good money is going to give you an edge in most situations, especially in the wet.
    Its the tyre which keeps those nasty gutters away from your wheels.

However, if you dont drive in this zone, where you are constantly breaking traction, you may only notice the difference in an emergency or when you run out of talent.

Spending more on tyres is a bit of a diminishing return on your money.
    Sped top dollar on a 195/55/15, about $240, then compare them to $120 tyres, and you wont find yourself twice as quick or braking twice as fast with the expensive ones.
    Silly example but it illustrates the point.
    There some exceptions to this, some very cheap and nasty chinese tyres are just sh!t.
    Last time I re shod, Bob jane were running out adrenalines at about $150?? so if you can find a 'run out' of a name brand premium tyre you'd get the best value.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

What do you (and others) mean by quiet?
    Tyre roar/whine, squeal or bump thump over holes?
    Graham
    All of the above, previous tyres were Pirelli P6000, squealed like crazy even at low speed, had a significant humming on the highway and were harsh overall.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I dont get the obviousness of the criteria.

Jo

Im looking for a tyre that goes hand-in-hand with the characteristics of the 205 (for the many reasons we enjoying these cars) including stopping safety (wet or dry).

But in saying that Id like the tyre to be a happy medium between performance (grip & handling...), price and everyday driving. Once the car is on the road, I have every intention of joining the club and possibly participating in club events.

Not possible? Thats the reason i started the thread. Im a student, and I'd like to know where my money best be spent. I understand it can be a bit of a catch 22 so any feedback is good feedback from my position.

The feedbacks is great guys, much appreciated.

Julian

I had Federal 195 55 15s on an Mi16 at a track day at Sandown and they simply disintegrated.
    Graham
    Were they the RS-R 'semi-slicks'?

I ran the older RS semi-slicks at wakefield a couple of times without hassle. The RS-Rs are better again...
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403 View Post
    I put some Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalins on my Mi16 and the grip is bloody nice...
    Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them at least in your consideration list.
    +1 Got some re001's on my 206 and am only just about to replace them with re002's. They grip like crazy and there doesn't seem to be any notable difference in the wet, saved my butt a few times when things got hairy down unknown mountain roads! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them at all. Only downside is the price, but I think their well worth it.
    '01 206 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    Were they the RS-R 'semi-slicks'?

I ran the older RS semi-slicks at wakefield a couple of times without hassle. The RS-Rs are better again...
    No just cheap road tyres, the original post was to do with affordable tyres.
    Graham

No just cheap road tyres, the original post was to do with affordable tyres.
    Graham
    I think you'll find that they are cheaper than many of the tyres mentioned here. Particularity in 195/50/15.

I just put a full set on my lotus (odd uncommon sizing) for $700.
    Last edited by SilverGTi_6; 3rd October 2011 at 02:48 PM.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous

Thread Information