406 Gearbox down
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 Gearbox down

Well got the news today, the 406's auto is officially in need of reconstruction. It is a ZF 4 HP 20, in a SV model. The Torque converter clutch is noisy and slipping, with metal contaminate in the oil. Harsh 2-1 down shift and reverse engagement thrown in for good measure.

Advertisement

Any advice as who is any good to do the repair. The first quote I have is over $5k for removing, full rebuild and refit.
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

That's on the low end of the quotes that I got to rebuild ours. I ended up pulling the gearbox (and engine) out myself, taking the torque converter to be overhauled, replacing the oil pump bush, replacing the filter (which can only be done by splitting the gearbox) and replaced one dead solenoid valve.

Cost me a lot less than that. But there are some expensive bits that you can't get around, for example the specific type of oil that the gearbox requires.

While I had the engine and gearbox out, I also replaced the timing belt, tensioners, camshaft (x4) and crankshaft (x2) oil seals and water pump, and resealed the cam boxes and sump. Makes it all easy with the engine on a stand! I bought the factory Peugeot toolkit for the engine too, and that made things really easy.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Sounds expensive what ever you do...

I would put Wynns Supreme Automatic Transmission Treatment into the gearbox see how much it improves the problem and then part exchange the car for another 406 or 407 or 607.

http://www.wynns.net/product_files/S...4511%20PIS.pdf

Here is a nice 607 V6 with only 136K;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...cs=2&silo=1011

Sadly the 4HP20 in my old SV has recently collapsed too. Sold it to my brother so yes, I feel guilty

Has never had Dex 3 in it, I changed the ATF every two years with Transmax Z and it's only done 140K km.

The usual problems, banging from box, holding gears etc.

Perhaps ZF and Siemens know something we don't?

Beautiful cars written off by virtue of their gearboxes...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger

I doubt an additive would address the problem here. What can happen is the pump pickup/filter becomes blocked, the pump runs dry and destroys itself. Whether you can get away with just a pump/converter repair will depend on what else has happened. That will be considerably less than $5K, which is probably quite fair for a full overhaul. If you can get a new torque converter, it's preferable to a rebuilt one as rebuilt will mean new (aftermarket) friction material, but often not much else.

Thread Information