001?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 001?

WLB

Default 001?

Peugeot Jumps on the Tiny-e-Car Bandwagon

27 Sep 2011

Tiny short-range electric cars with room for one or two were not uncommon at the IAA 2011 – VW brought the Nils, Audi had the Urban Concept, and Opel showed the Rak e. Peugeot missed the auto show, but has announced its own tiny electric car anyway – the Velv.

Advertisement

Velv is short for “Véhicule électrique léger de ville,” (city light electric vehicle). Weighing only 1,433 lbs, the prototype is designed to have a range of about 60 miles and a top speed of 65 mph. So far, these numbers seem to be on paper only.

Space for three passengers is the Velv’s way of standing out. The seats are arranged in a sort of triangle, with the driver’s seat front and center. The passengers are to the rear. All three seats are accessible by gull-wing glass windows (above), and standard doors (below).

The gull-wing “doors” are powered by the 20kW electric engine (produced by Valeo), which draws its power from a lithium ion battery pack with a capacity of 8.5 kWh (produced by Johnson Controls). However, whether production of the Velv will maintain the same components as the prototype is still in question.

Rounding out the Velv’s striking and not particularly Peugeot-like appearance are the twin tires and narrow brake lights in the rear, below the small storage space nestled behind the passenger seats.

For photos, check out the gallery below.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/e...n-4022400.html

Source | Gallery: Auto Motor Und Sport

Fellow Frogger!

I have no interest in electric cars, at all.

Am I the only one?

Its the next step to the Smart car. They will work in Europe but they will just be a target here

I have to add its so funny listening to the kids talking about how important the environment is, protect the Ozone and you should not pollute etc, which is what they have been learning at school, when the majority of mothers pick them up in large fuel guzzeling and polluting 4X4's that never go off road and have dangerous handling in emeregency situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    I have no interest in electric cars, at all.

Am I the only one?

Nope, but you probably don't live in the centre of one of our major cities. Great for the inner city person who drives it is traffic to work. Crap for highway use.

I would love to know how much pollution is generated at a coal-fired power station to supply each 100km of travel vs a conventional powered car. Still it is a step in the right direction.

If I lived in St.Kilda, has solar panels on my garage roof and drove by myself to work in another part of the city, parked it all day and drove it home again. This car would make sense.

But I live in a coastal town, drive mostly on 100km/h zones, and am always carting around three kids. Not to mention, trailers, tools, dogs, lawnmowers, etc.. And I work from home So such a car would be useless. Still if everyone who lived in Toorak and drove in peak hour traffic to the CBD just to park in a multi story car park all day - had one instead of a 7 series BM-battleship, the world would be a better place.

Still I have more than one car... so..... something about rocks and glass houses.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

1000+ Posts

Peugeot has been there before, done that, with the VLV. Of course after the war nobody wanted electric cars. But there was quite a field of ultra-small French cars after the war. Really too small to be useful and cost nearly as much as a proper smalll car like the Renault 4CV or Citroen 2CV.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't underestimate the environmental unfriendliness of a solar panel or a lithium based battery!

The humble Vespa [ Piaggio ] had the right recipe in 1946 and Peugeot produce scooters with motor cycle history going back to 1903. Today they do 3L/100km can sit at 110kmh, cost a fraction of the price of any car, EV, Hybrid etc, seat two, accelerate as fast as any V6 if not faster and cut through traffic like a knife through a cake. And they are fun to ride and easy to park.

Bmw made the C1 into reality and that had a roof, windscreen with wiper and a boot.

Piaggio made a 3 wheeler that works.

Peugeot make the highly rated Satelis that can be specified with a 500cc engine.

If you want to be really "Green" or want cheap reliable transport then get a scooter.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post

G'day,
    all very well, but, no gloves, no helmet, no boots, in fact no PPE at all. So when he falls over, his nice Armani suit will be worth F A !

regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Velv piccies from Car Advice:

CarAdvice article (Australian site).
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    all very well, but, no gloves, no helmet, no boots, in fact no PPE at all. So when he falls over, his nice Armani suit will be worth F A !

Love the comment

What the picture fails to show however is twin seatbelts and crash barriers. The C1 was crash and fall tested in Germany and the dummy came out with minor bruising. So its actually a lot safer than any other 2 wheeled motor cycle or scooter. In the UK you still have to wear a helmet regardless so it did not live up to all its promises...

When it first came out in the UK there was a true story about a red one that was parked outside a supermarket. A mother and child went to complain to the manager as they could not find the coin slot to operate the ride

Thread Information