Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump
  • Register
  • Help

Default Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump

just a quick msg...

As the bypass hose (behind top rear of rocker cover/behind pwr steer pump) on the 1.9 Mi16 is NLA. It was a bit of a PITA to source.

After going to a few auto shops, i went to coventrys and the were able to match it up with a thermostat hose off a holden astra ld 1.6/1.8, Camira JD 1.8.

Hose has written on it-

Mackay Automotive Part no: CH1614

Oem part no: 92033548

The hose did needed to be cut and due to a slightly smaller inside diameter and shite location (~1mm+) i put the ends in a mug of hot water and used some petroleum jelly on the pipes and it slid on very nicely. Only 11 bucks too

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation!!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default i like your work

hay thats great ,iv used a heater hose off an HG Holden in place of the one that runs from the t/stat to the fire wall .on a couple of my cars, keep up the good work ,PUGS

A better solution is to remove the bypass system altogether. The system is unnecessary in our climate. It's purpose is to bypass the heater matrix until the car warms up.

It's a fairly easy job if you remove the thermostat housing:

- gently heat the housing around steel tube with oxy. The steel tube will then pull out easily
    - tap existing hole 1/2" BSP
    - screw in a socket headed bung. I use Loctite 549 but what ever sealant takes your fancy.
    - replace the 3 hose plastic distribution block at rear of engine with a 2 hose aluminium block from an early 205.

This eliminates two problematic hoses and various pipe work.

I'm doing a few tomorrow and will post some pics.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Nice timing - I was just about to order the two maybe three replacement hoses for this section of the engine.

I had the power steering pump off on the weekend replacing the cam seal and what did I come across - This hose that should be about 3/4" in diameter blown out to about 1 1/4 and it's yet to spring a leak. I'll post a pic tommorow.

Peter, do you use a tapered thread - 1/2 BSP?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump-dscn4459.jpg  
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 29th September 2011 at 10:12 PM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

yes, just use a taper tap, so that it locks against the taper of the bung.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Here's some pics. If you don't need a heater at all, eg race car, also remove the side tube and tap that hole as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump-img_0684.jpg   Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump-img_0685.jpg   Solution FOUND: 405 mi16 bypass hose near pwr steer pump-img_0686.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information