Rear Beam repair question
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rear Beam repair question

Just bought a 205gti with drums on the back. The rear beam requires a rebuild.

I'm going to have to rebuild it to put it through rwc anyway, squeaks like all hell.

Since I'm going to rebuild it, is it worth just buying/rebuilding/fitting a 306 ream beam with discs while I'm at it?

Or, if I can, just buy a rebuilt(or good condition) disc brake rear beam to just bolt in. If that opition, what's a ballpark figure for this?

Advertisement

I have about a week to get this rear beam fixed, or I'm gonna have to pay for labour. . . .

Do a search. I started a thread on how to do it a few months ago.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Definitely worth getting discs on the back IMHO. As you mentioned you can use the 306 beam. Get the trailing arms etc ( Im pretty sure ) and that way you are using the 205 beam tube ( If its still serviceable ) with the 306 arms ( Will make it slightly wider which is nice ) and discs too!

Worth the effort if you can find a 306 rear beam with decent brakes left on it.

So... Press NEW trailing arm shafts into the 306 trailing arms. Then fit those to the 205 beam with new bearings...

You may also need to get the correct handbrake cable to fit the rear discs. Im sure someone on here will have one

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

I will have the old one out of my s16 in the next couple of weeks if interested. I have a spare beam that I've rebuilt, so I will just swap it over.

It requires a rebuild as the driver side wheel has a noticable ammount of extra camber, however does not squeek or rattle (chances still are that the shaft will need replaceing or filled up with welding and machined back down). Still on the car at the moment too if you want a test ride !

Happy to sell with rotors, pads and calipers too, just pm me an offer.

Also have complete front struts too if interested, however one shock if stuffed.

Anyone interested, pm a reasonable offer...

Fellow Frogger!

BTW, it ain't hard to pull these rear beams apart, especially if they are sitting on the floor in your garage. I kept putting off doing mine, but when I did, was surprised at how easy it was.
    You will obviously need a press to separate the shafts from the arms, so you might need to get a mechanic to do that part.

thanks heaps guys. I'll have that beam apart by lunch and have ordered bearings and shafts. Ill call around for some 306 arms w/calipers and order discs and pads when i get the arms.

Thread Information