Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?

I'm installing new speakers and I don't know which of the wires in the positive or negative as they're different colours as follows:

R/F: 1 Red and 1 Yellow

L/F: 1 Yellow and 1 Brown

R/R: 1 Black and 1 Brown

L/R: 1 Blue and 1 Yellow with a green line

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Brad

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    I'm installing new speakers and I don't know which of the wires in the positive or negative as they're different colours as follows:

R/F: 1 Red and 1 Yellow

L/F: 1 Yellow and 1 Brown

R/R: 1 Black and 1 Brown

L/R: 1 Blue and 1 Yellow with a green line

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Brad
    Get a 1.5 v standard torch battery. Positive has the dimple. Touch the speaker wires on the battery the speaker and watch the speaker cone.

One way around will make the speaker cone move forward (ie away the magnet) and the other way around it will move backward.

By convention the positive of the speaker is the wire on the +ve of the battery when the cone moves forward.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Isn't that to find out what terminals on the speaker are positive and negative?
    I want to know what wire to attach to the positive and negative on the speaker, would it be easier playing music and seeing if the cone moves forward or backwards?

Isn't that to find out what terminals on the speaker are positive and negative?
    I want to know what wire to attach to the positive and negative on the speaker, would it be easier playing music and seeing if the cone moves forward or backwards?
    With music , the cone will move both forward and backwards depending on the program content. Audio is an AC signal. So that is no good.

Try using an ohm meter and finding the earth connections of the speaker wires.

The negatives will probably have close to zero resistance to earth.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Would there be any other options considering I don't have an ohm meter?

Would there be any other options considering I don't have an ohm meter?
    Check a schematic wiring diagram for the car - if it covers the audio aspect of it?

A multimeter is a good investment for any French car owner - They cost around $10 upwards...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Does the local hardware store sell them?

Does the local hardware store sell them?
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...97&form=CAT2#1

Default 306 wiring

I just did my wife's 2001 306 on Friday.

I found that the plug at the back of the old unit was wired from left to right (looking from above- oriented as it plugs into the unit) Front left, front right, rear left, rear right. Having discovered this, I wired it up that was, and when I connected up the new one, it was spot on.

I just retrieved the old plug from the bin...

It is divided into four quadrants. The left half (again from above) is the speakers, the right power, ignition, powered antenna, etc. The upper left quadrant were all of the positives

The speakers are:

Green - front left

White - front right

blue - rear left

yellow - rear right.

Each of the positives has a 'trace' - a black line along its' length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?-rear-wiring1.jpg  
    Last edited by paulrb; 26th September 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

wether the wires are connected to the positive terminal or not is irrelevant as was said earlier the essence is that all the speaker cones must move outwards or inwards at the same time this means that the phasing of the sound is correct ... in concert halls or pubic arenas I have actually heard ( correction - not heard the sound) because the phasing of the speakers at either end of the area to be covered were not correctly phased, this is unlikely to be noticed in a car but it does degrade the sound quality if the speakers are not correctly phased.

The degraded sound is more noticable in the Bass ( lower frequency range) that is the bass sound appears hollow

When using the 1.5 volt battery do not have the battery connected to the terminals for very long as the low resistance of the wiring coil can draw sufficent current to damage the insulation due to heat generated.
    see here for mote info
    http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-rad...-Connector.htm

1-Speaker RF+
    8-Speaker RF-

2-Speaker RR+
    9-Speaker RR-

3-GND
    10-+12 VOLT BATTERY WIRE

4-Power Antenna Turn On
    11-Dash Light Dimmer Wire

5-+12 VOLT IGNITION WIRE
    12-Speaker LR-

6-Speaker LR+
    13-Speaker LF-

7-Speaker LF+
    -

Hope this helps - cheers
    Last edited by Meggsy; 26th September 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    I just did my wife's 2001 306 on Friday.

I found that the plug at the back of the old unit was wired from left to right (looking from above- oriented as it plugs into the unit) Front left, front right, rear left, rear right. Having discovered this, I wired it up that was, and when I connected up the new one, it was spot on.

I just retrieved the old plug from the bin...

It is divided into four quadrants. The left half (again from above) is the speakers, the right power, ignition, powered antenna, etc. The upper left quadrant were all of the positives

The speakers are:

Green - front left

White - front right

blue - rear left

yellow - rear right.

Each of the positives has a 'trace' - a black line along its' length.
    Are you sure each of your speakers has a different colour. If so, I'd definitely check the manual that comes with the stereo. .. should be part of the car's books, if it was an original stereo.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Get a 1.5 v standard torch battery. Positive has the dimple. Touch the speaker wires on the battery the speaker and watch the speaker cone.

One way around will make the speaker cone move forward (ie away the magnet) and the other way around it will move backward.

By convention the positive of the speaker is the wire on the +ve of the battery when the cone moves forward.
    except on JBL pro speakers...you connect the hot to black...the amount of these that were reverse phase was amazing, and never noticed til mixed with a different speaker.
    off track but there was a soundguy Stephen Court who arrived at a huge outdoor concert during soundcheck and immediately picked 1 out of phase speaker in a monster PA stack of 100 or more speakers

The back of the head unit has the black line for the negative but at the actual speaker connecting in the doors and on the parcel shelf, the speaker wires are different colours

looking at the stereo plug if the speaker pins are on top of each other, find the batt + pin and the speaker pins that line up with the batt + pin are usually always +

Thread Information