Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?

    I'm installing new speakers and I don't know which of the wires in the positive or negative as they're different colours as follows:

    R/F: 1 Red and 1 Yellow

    L/F: 1 Yellow and 1 Brown

    R/R: 1 Black and 1 Brown

    L/R: 1 Blue and 1 Yellow with a green line

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers, Brad

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    I'm installing new speakers and I don't know which of the wires in the positive or negative as they're different colours as follows:

    R/F: 1 Red and 1 Yellow

    L/F: 1 Yellow and 1 Brown

    R/R: 1 Black and 1 Brown

    L/R: 1 Blue and 1 Yellow with a green line

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers, Brad
    Get a 1.5 v standard torch battery. Positive has the dimple. Touch the speaker wires on the battery the speaker and watch the speaker cone.

    One way around will make the speaker cone move forward (ie away the magnet) and the other way around it will move backward.

    By convention the positive of the speaker is the wire on the +ve of the battery when the cone moves forward.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Isn't that to find out what terminals on the speaker are positive and negative?
    I want to know what wire to attach to the positive and negative on the speaker, would it be easier playing music and seeing if the cone moves forward or backwards?

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Isn't that to find out what terminals on the speaker are positive and negative?
    I want to know what wire to attach to the positive and negative on the speaker, would it be easier playing music and seeing if the cone moves forward or backwards?
    With music , the cone will move both forward and backwards depending on the program content. Audio is an AC signal. So that is no good.

    Try using an ohm meter and finding the earth connections of the speaker wires.

    The negatives will probably have close to zero resistance to earth.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Would there be any other options considering I don't have an ohm meter?

  6. #6
    Sans Pond. STALLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Would there be any other options considering I don't have an ohm meter?
    Check a schematic wiring diagram for the car - if it covers the audio aspect of it?

    A multimeter is a good investment for any French car owner - They cost around $10 upwards...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

    2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

    1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

    2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Does the local hardware store sell them?

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Does the local hardware store sell them?
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...97&form=CAT2#1
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! paulrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    214

    Default 306 wiring

    I just did my wife's 2001 306 on Friday.

    I found that the plug at the back of the old unit was wired from left to right (looking from above- oriented as it plugs into the unit) Front left, front right, rear left, rear right. Having discovered this, I wired it up that was, and when I connected up the new one, it was spot on.

    I just retrieved the old plug from the bin...

    It is divided into four quadrants. The left half (again from above) is the speakers, the right power, ignition, powered antenna, etc. The upper left quadrant were all of the positives

    The speakers are:

    Green - front left

    White - front right

    blue - rear left

    yellow - rear right.

    Each of the positives has a 'trace' - a black line along its' length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 306 style 1999; Finding the negative and positive in the speaker wires?-rear-wiring1.jpg  
    Last edited by paulrb; 26th September 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

    Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Meggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    351

    Default

    wether the wires are connected to the positive terminal or not is irrelevant as was said earlier the essence is that all the speaker cones must move outwards or inwards at the same time this means that the phasing of the sound is correct ... in concert halls or pubic arenas I have actually heard ( correction - not heard the sound) because the phasing of the speakers at either end of the area to be covered were not correctly phased, this is unlikely to be noticed in a car but it does degrade the sound quality if the speakers are not correctly phased.

    The degraded sound is more noticable in the Bass ( lower frequency range) that is the bass sound appears hollow

    When using the 1.5 volt battery do not have the battery connected to the terminals for very long as the low resistance of the wiring coil can draw sufficent current to damage the insulation due to heat generated.
    see here for mote info
    http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-rad...-Connector.htm


    1-Speaker RF+
    8-Speaker RF-

    2-Speaker RR+
    9-Speaker RR-

    3-GND
    10-+12 VOLT BATTERY WIRE

    4-Power Antenna Turn On
    11-Dash Light Dimmer Wire

    5-+12 VOLT IGNITION WIRE
    12-Speaker LR-

    6-Speaker LR+
    13-Speaker LF-

    7-Speaker LF+
    -



    Hope this helps - cheers
    Last edited by Meggsy; 26th September 2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! paulrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    I just did my wife's 2001 306 on Friday.

    I found that the plug at the back of the old unit was wired from left to right (looking from above- oriented as it plugs into the unit) Front left, front right, rear left, rear right. Having discovered this, I wired it up that was, and when I connected up the new one, it was spot on.

    I just retrieved the old plug from the bin...

    It is divided into four quadrants. The left half (again from above) is the speakers, the right power, ignition, powered antenna, etc. The upper left quadrant were all of the positives

    The speakers are:

    Green - front left

    White - front right

    blue - rear left

    yellow - rear right.

    Each of the positives has a 'trace' - a black line along its' length.
    Are you sure each of your speakers has a different colour. If so, I'd definitely check the manual that comes with the stereo. .. should be part of the car's books, if it was an original stereo.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

    Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts stuartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Get a 1.5 v standard torch battery. Positive has the dimple. Touch the speaker wires on the battery the speaker and watch the speaker cone.

    One way around will make the speaker cone move forward (ie away the magnet) and the other way around it will move backward.

    By convention the positive of the speaker is the wire on the +ve of the battery when the cone moves forward.
    except on JBL pro speakers...you connect the hot to black...the amount of these that were reverse phase was amazing, and never noticed til mixed with a different speaker.
    off track but there was a soundguy Stephen Court who arrived at a huge outdoor concert during soundcheck and immediately picked 1 out of phase speaker in a monster PA stack of 100 or more speakers

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    The back of the head unit has the black line for the negative but at the actual speaker connecting in the doors and on the parcel shelf, the speaker wires are different colours

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    94

    Default

    looking at the stereo plug if the speaker pins are on top of each other, find the batt + pin and the speaker pins that line up with the batt + pin are usually always +

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •