406 HDi coolant bleed hose
  • Register
  • Help
    Gus

Default 406 HDi coolant bleed hose

Eck, help! I need some advice on the thin coolant bleed hose on my HDi 110. It runs from the top of the thermostat housing, across the front of the engine, and back to the coolant expansion tank.

(Apologies for blurry pics. )

I accidentally knocked it loose near the accessories belt a while back, and it sprung a leak. Dodgied up a temporary patch, but that's started leaking as well.

I'm confused because on each end the hose goes into what looks like a barb fitting, which is hoseclamped into what looks like standard radiator hose

Advertisement

* Can anyone confirm that it's only a barb fitting at each end, not a custom hose? Can I insert/remove the thin hose by hand without needing anything special?

* Does anyone know the diameter of the hose? It's marked as 6X1, google seems to suggest 6mm OD 4mm ID.

* Any chance I could just swap the whole assembly for standard heater hose, the kind that's used for each end section?

* I assume I'll need to do the fancy 406 bleed dance again after I replace it, yes?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Gus; 26th September 2011 at 10:24 AM.

maybe call one of the wreckers (Melbourne)

David Cavanagh
    34 King St, Airport West VIC (03) 9338 8191
    Pugwreck
    Factory 7/176 Canterbury Road Vic Phone 03 9720 7521

Gus

Thanks Andre, I might give them a call.

For now, I replaced the hose with a straight section of bog-standard 3/8" heater hose from Repco.

It's weird, though - There were already mounting clips along the path of the hose, the correct size for a heater hose to clip into. Unused...

Maybe Peugeot used a normal heater hose for a while and then switched to the weird Big/Small/Big hose that's causing me trouble?

All I can think of as possible reasons:

• Needed a flow restriction against coolant circulating through expansion tank.
    • Wanted easier access to driver's side headlight (big fat hose does get in the way a bit.)
    • Big hose was rubbing on something (I did notice that unless I adjusted it one way, it might rub an edge inside the guard.

I'll see how Mr Repco Hose looks in a week or two. $12 for 2m of hose is a cheap experiment, and it can't be any worse than when it was leaking.

One last mystery, the small heater hoses all have heat shielding sleeves around them at the thermostat end (as in the photo, above.) Anyone know what that's about? There's nothing hotter than coolant to be found around there, AFAIK.
    Last edited by Gus; 26th September 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Gus

Yet more confusion, this photo:
    http://pug406.com/wiki/index.php?tit...ge:Bleed03.jpg

Shows a 406 HDi 110 with the fat/thin/fat hose, however it's disappearing down behind the radiatior. Mine went directly across above the fuel pump pulley, past the plastic clip on the side of the ECU box.

You can see the mounting clips for a fat hose in that picture as well.

Gus

One last question before I go away - I bled the system but without fitting the header tank to the expansion bottle (Haynes says to attach a bottle neck to add extra height, as described here. Anyone know how bad this is? Will I be OK as long as I don't see any overheating signs, or should I sort it ASAP?

Thread Information