404 carburettor
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 carburettor

Sam
    Tadpole

404 carburettor

My 404 (1970)judders at a certain point in acceleration. Im assuming the carby is worn///air.. fuel leaks
    Does any one know where i might find a new one?? or how much it is going to cost to fix it and where i should go?
    thanks Sam approve frown

Advertisement

Sam
    [QB]
    Does any one know where i might find a new one?? [QB]
    I don't know of anyone who sells new 34mm Solex single throat carbs in Australia, but you can get a 34mm single throat Weber carb which fits straight onto the 404 manifold and aircleaner. I know of 2 people who have had excellent results with these on a 404. I think they cost about $200. You can buy them in Sydney at:

HARDIMAN AUTO SUPPLIES
    9 Bullecourt Avenue
    MILPERRA NSW 2214
    Phone: (02) 9771 5877
    Fax: (02) 9771 2176

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

VIP Sponsor
    Sam,
    Your problem is more likely to be surging due to uneven wear in the Diff. This is amplified by the vacumn advance mechanism in the distributor. Try pulling of the vacumn advance hose and see if it makes any difference.

Graham Wallis

If it is the carby then you can probably get it overhauled for a reasonable price. This usually involves fitting bushes where the throttle spindle goes through the body (a notorious point of wear on Solex PBICIA carbies - you can sometimes test for this by greasing up the spindle around the joint and seeing if the problem stops). An overhaul kit for diaphrams, gaskets etc should also be available. A defective or misadjusted accelerator pump can cause problems too. The Weber option is probably a better bet if you can afford it and don't midn going "non-original".

Graham may be right about the diff though. Not sure of the efficacy of the vacuum advance disconnection. Make sure you plug the vacuum line if you try it.

A final possibility is that the mechanical advance weights in the distributor are sticking.
    I've run into this on various ducellier equipt cars. Fixing it is usually a matter of pulling the distributor apart , cleaning everything thoroughly, replacing the return springs if necessary , and re-assembling.

Describe the "judder" a bit more, and the situations in which it occurs. It might help us refine ideas about the source of the problem.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 20 May 2002, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Be aware that when you buy a carby gasket kit for the Solex carb, that some places will try and charge you $95 or so, but at other places you can buy them for as little as $35, or possibly less. So if they try to charge you alot, ring around some other places.

Let me know if you can't find one for less than $50, because I've got quite a few solex gasket kits stashed away.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Sam
    Tadpole
    The diff has been replaced with a recond diff(reversed crown wheel), so it shouldnt be that.
    This juddering happens at a certain point in accelerating in all gears and can be sometimes avoided by accelerating quickly through rev range.
    Probably worn spindle thingy but dont know enough about carbies///never taken one apart!!
    I thought maybe i could buy new one in France/ New Caledonia etc.. but am probably better off just buying a kit or paying some one to overhaul it.
    Sam

Another possibility Sam might be an out of balance propellor shaft, or a worn centre needle bearing.

Hard to diagnose without actually 'feeling: the the thing.

Get a good Peugeot mechanic with 404 experience to take it for a drive before spending money on the carby.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    Another possibility Sam might be an out of balance propellor shaft, or a worn centre needle bearing.

Hard to diagnose without actually 'feeling: the the thing.

Get a good Peugeot mechanic with 404 experience to take it for a drive before spending money on the carby.

Cheers

Rod
    Good advice.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

So this 404 has a worm/wheel rear end, eh?

When was the Crown gear reversed, and was it done properly? The least that should be done is the shims from either side of the diff casing should be reversed too (to keep the gear properly centred). Anyway, if this work was done 20,000 km+ ago, the diff could be worn out again. If you're using mineral oils that is.

And here's where I ask about lubricants...what do you use in the rear axle? If it's anything other than Essolube VT, Mobilube P or Castrol R40, you are systematically causing the crown gear to dissolve in the most hideous way, which causes the very symptoms you describe. ALWAYS - make sure you use a vegetable-based lubricant in the rear axle!

About the shot centre bearing in the torque tube theory, that can't really give a "juddering" sensation, as a whipping driveshaft creates a transverse vibration, not a longitudinal one. I bought a 404 sedan once with this problem (the grease nipple had been removed by the previous owner at some point and the bearing had migrated 10 cm to the rear) and there was ZERO juddering sensation - the symptom was 100% lateral vibration at the transmission tunnel, nothing like juddering.

Good luck wink
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thread Information