D8 406 display light replacement
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default D8 406 display light replacement

I bought a 1998 406 SV this week and need to replace some of the globes in the clock and the display above the radio. At this stage I dont have a workshop manual, so can't figure out how to get them out - withoutb reaking anything!

Advertisement

Any help from 406 afficionados would be appreciated!!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fairly easy to do but you need a torx bit. The clock globe can be got from Bursons etc, not sure about the others. This is someone elses post that I copied and kept.

"instrument bulb replacement instructions

Its not all that hard to pull apart, about an hour or so. Heres a blow by blow description.

Drop the steering coloum down as low as posible and lock in place.

Pull out the air vents, they just pull straight off, be firm you wont break them.

remove the three torque head screws holding the facisa where the Instrument pannel is(T-10 is the size I think)

To pull the facsica off, start with the air vent bits in the middle first, then the drivers side. This can be a pain. The middle ones are ok but the drivers one was a pain on mine, I ened up breaking the clip but it was no big deal.

Now that the facsica is off remove the 4 screws that hold the instruments
    to the dash. With a screw driver prise the top right clip holding the instruments down and pull towards you. It should just come straight out. There are two clip on wire loom thingys at the back. Unclip and pull right out. The blub is out the back exactly behind the odo. the blub is a 5mm wedge type. It may be soldered in. If your not handy with a solder, just rip out the seat belt light globe and use that."

1000+ Posts

Basically you get the clock thingy out by 'carefully prising it with a screwdriver. Same with the air vents but both my cars have broken tabs from this. It's not made very well and mostly you'll break some of it, but hopefully there's still enough that didn't break left to hold it in.
    Things like this give me the shits about modern cars. But I'm afraid the manual tells you to do just that. It was designed to clip together once and once paid for and out the factory gate they couldn't give a f%$k about it.
    The globes should be those little wedge numbers which pull straight out.

1000+ Posts

Thanks to both. I'll see what I can do!!

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Default Torx-dorks

The 1998 406 has the clock on a small separate spot above the air-con and stereo. It can be levered out easily with a screw driver. Take out the whole unit. The connector at the back come out easily. The plastic can be brittle, so be careful. I'd take the globe and check to see in the filament is broken, before replacing. It could be a loose connection. Mine was a bugger and I ended up replacing the whole clock module because the plastic was so brittle it fell apart and the globe couldn't stay in place and remain in contact with the terminals.

To get at the globes behind the instruments, do as the last post recommended. But I'd pull off the cowling that goes around the steeling column. It makes it much easier to get the instrument cluster out past the steering wheel (you can pull that off too if you want) dropping it down to the left of the wheel. You can just keep the instruments in place a-top the steeling column, and put the globes in. Up to you. I'd putt it completely out, and give the whole lot a good clean while it is out. I think you will need long T15s for the four bolts up under the cowling . They are a shit to line up and get back in. Mainly because you can't see what you are doing, and have to feel that you have got it all lined up and then keep the screw balanced on your driver while using your knees to keep the lower cowling in place. Although cloth taping the cowling in place to screw it helps! Then your hands are free to get the screw back in.

To do the ones behind the heater/air-con switches, good luck!!!! No really, getting into that area is easy. There are more T15 of T20 Torx screw accessible from under the ashtray and behind the clock - I think - Sorry I spent the afternoon today putting a new stereo in the wife's 306 and I keep thinking of the arrangement to pull her dash apart, and it has been a year or so since I had the 406s dash apart - oh and a few weeks since i did the 405'd dash, so I am not sure which one I am rapping on about. It is either in the top of the open box in the console or behind the ash tray and once you pull the clock out, I think two more behind there.

sorry I can't be more specific... Bunnings hardware are currently selling Kingchrome brand torx screwdrivers at about $7.95 each. You won't go wrong with a T15, T20 for interior and a T25 for under the bonnet. Rarely had one out of my hands today!

By the way... Why are Torx screws called 'tamper proof' when anyone an grab a torx driver and undo them! When everyone has a master key to the bank vault is it still called a 'safe'?
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

STALLED's top tip:

Be VERY careful with the clock - I've smashed 2x bulb holders and have given up on replacing it for now. The clock comes out easily with a flat head screwdriver - sometimes helps to get extra leverage with two of them on either side.

As for the lower display - this takes a different sized bulb. Removal is done with a flathead screwdriver as well...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    STALLED's top tip:

As for the lower display - this takes a different sized bulb. Removal is done with a flathead screwdriver as well...
    The lower display is on the series two 406 I think. I might be wrong.

The series one 406 which has the dials and sliders for the heater control.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1997-PEUG...9#ht_802wt_830

The series two the display and buttons.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PEUGEOT-4...#ht_554wt_1064

Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Fellow Frogger!

Default D8

Well that's interesting because my 1998 SV D8 is different again!

David

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Well that's interesting because my 1998 SV D8 is different again!

David
    Yeah so is mine! LOL.

The one with dials is similar to mine, but has the air-con, so the top sliders are an A/C button and air recirculation. Also, mine has a small display, just temp for the A/C., where the one in the photo has a small box. I think all Aussie delivered models have A/C, thus this configuration.

But the series two is quite different. Just one of many differences.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

here is a site with different RTA data files

if you look closely you will find one on the 406

maybe necessary that you download a .RAR unzipper (www.download.com) in order to open the data file.

It contains detailed technical documentation on how to replace parts of that kind of car. It needs to be opened in windows internet explorer.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

The D8 can have two displays - one for the clock up next to the instrument cluster and there is one next to the hazard light switches, which not all cars have. It will either have the trip computer or temperature gauge there - Temp gauge is for diesels and late model D8 ST petrols and the later SV's had the trip computer.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

I used to have a 1997 D8 and I'm pretty sure this part of the dash was different to the current one. The 98 model has the fuel consumption, distance to empty etc - be nice to be able to read it - If I look hard I can see it.

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

damn, have forgotten to put the site:

http://dimma-design.superforum.fr/t2...-marque-en-pdf
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

1000+ Posts

Default Lamps but no light-up

I got the clock and economy display units out, fitted new lamps (display unit had nothing) but still no illumination. The units are working as you can see the readouts if you look hard enugh. Guess I'll have to look further. Any ideas?
    Last edited by pugnut1; 26th September 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    I got the clock and economy displat units out, fitted new lamps (second one had nothing) but still no illumination. The units are working as you can see the readouts if you look hard enogh. Guess I'll have to look further. Any ideas?
    Is their power to the globes?

My guess would be fuse? but I thought this would kill other circuits. Worth putting a multi-meter on.

It might be an earthing to the unit. I am not sure how they are wired, but the unit might need a sound connection to the dash to get earth. THis doesn't seem right, but might be it.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Thread Information