205 MI16 not starting. Please help.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 MI16 not starting. Please help.

Hey guys, sorry in advance for the long thread.

I had some spare time and decided to clean up some of the messy wires in my engine bay.
    In doing so i stupidly decided that i could get rid of some loose plugs and what not.
    The plugs were not connected to anything so i thought it would be harmless getting rid of them.
    (i know, why would you cut off wires from a lume)
    The plugs in question are these green ones. (see below).

I also re-ran the ignition module back to what i think is the original spot (on a bracket next to the strut) because for some reason it was mounted to a makeshift braket on the right hand side of the engine bay.
    This involved cutting back the wires and re-soldering.

Advertisement

Now here is the problem. The car wont start.
    It cranks no problem but wont kick over.

I accidentally pulled out a plug while re-rapping the lume which is now back in place.
    I have checked the spark with a spare plug arcing on the block.
    I'm pretty sure it is getting fuel as i can smell it from inside the bay and the exhaust.
    I haven't played with the timing.
    Fresh battery.

Am i missing something?

Was thinking earth problem, hence why the module was moved to the other side on the bay?
    Or i have done something messing with those free plugs?

Any opinions welcome and sorry again for the long post, i just wanted add as much info as possible.

Cheers

-Micah
    Last edited by MICAH; 24th September 2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Renault Sport Clio 182 Cup F1 - FRB
    Renault Sport Clio 182 Cup - Arctic Blue - Sold
    Peugeot 205 MI16 - Sorrento Green - Sold

is it possible one of the plug wires you cut was running in and out to feed something else?

assuming the soldering when moving the ignition module was matched it sounds like the only thing you have altered.

perhaps grab a wiring diagram and it might show the inputs to the plugs joining together. just a guess

i did think of that and there were 2 wires going into 1 side of the plugs. i joined these together and taped them.

Thanks anyway mate

cheers

Cant really help but Im pretty sure those lights are normal. Especially when you just have the acc on.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Did the engine run before you cut the plugs?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The engine ran great before hand but I didn't try and start it until after I had moved the module and cut the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Cant really help but Im pretty sure those lights are normal. Especially when you just have the acc on.

Cam
    Oh, I don't have a/c due to the motor conversion. Does this make a difference?
    Cheers

1000+ Posts

Default module

on the s1 mi the module mounts on an alloy plate[ heat sink ] that mounts on the battery box lhs of engine bay maybe it earths through the heat sink ,your inner guard not being as good an earth as the battery box from memory the module has metaltubes through the mounting bolt holes ,PUGS

Micah,
    Not a good idea to test spark by arcing to the block. Something I do remember from way back from when all these new jiggery pokery systems were adopted.
    Test spark plugs are available. Mine has been made up from an old plug, side electrode removed and a clamp fitted to attach everything to a good earth point on the engine.
    Spark will then only earth through itself and not direct via a "bluey" to the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Micah,
    Not a good idea to test spark by arcing to the block. Something I do remember from way back from when all these new jiggery pokery systems were adopted.
    Test spark plugs are available. Mine has been made up from an old plug, side electrode removed and a clamp fitted to attach everything to a good earth point on the engine.
    Spark will then only earth through itself and not direct via a "bluey" to the block.
    Thanks for the advice Wildebeest.

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    on the s1 mi the module mounts on an alloy plate[ heat sink ] that mounts on the battery box lhs of engine bay maybe it earths through the heat sink ,your inner guard not being as good an earth as the battery box from memory the module has metaltubes through the mounting bolt holes ,PUGS
    I tested the earth by connecting a secondary earth wire to the alloy plate. This didn't prove to help so i think the earth is fine.

I spent the better half of this morning going over everything i had messed with.
    I found that 2 of the wires i cut that were suppose to joined, weren't. i soldered them together and good news....it is up and running beautifully.

So Spar, you were right.
    Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Cheers

Sorry, I didn't Mean A/C I meant the second turn of the key to the Accessories position. My car has these light come on if I have it in this position..

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I hope you salvaged the pieces you cut off. If you did, you should be able to trace back where you went wrong. Pair the cables up in line to follow the intersections and you should be able to go from that.

In a 205 transplant, I also found there was a lot of unused cable but you have to make sure the difference between not wanted and not used.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    I hope you salvaged the pieces you cut off. If you did, you should be able to trace back where you went wrong. Pair the cables up in line to follow the intersections and you should be able to go from that.
    That is exactly what I ended up doing.
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be able to sleep tonight

-Micah

Thread Information