• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Graelin
  • 2 Post By Graelin

Thread: 207 Lemans brief report

Fellow Frogger!

Default 207 Lemans brief report

It is now over two years since I purchased this car.

Has anything gone wrong? NO

Why did I choose a diesel?
    I drove the GTI and the Lemans back to back and preferred the ride being more supple. Also found it very driveable and with My daughter comming to license age I thought it a more suitable car for this. I did have my heart set on the GTI petrol but actually chose this one which surprised me at the time.

Advertisement

It has taken 20,000 kms to free up and perfoms better the more KMs it gets, I am now up to 23,000kms and for last 3,000kms the average fuel use is 6lts per 100kms with trips down to 5.4.

Although many at the time decried a deisel engine I must say this is up there with my old MI16 in desire to drive. It has taken a while to realise that revs are not where the performance lies and I enjoy the torque out of corners and round a bouts. Maybe quick not fast is a way to describe it.

The standard tyres are good in the dry but to aquaplane in the wet I find, does any one else find this with the Pirellis? (In heavy rain at 110kph when it hits sheets of water). Is there better replacement?

I decided to keep the stickers and pleased I did as it is a limited edition and I have grown used to them now

I really want to keep this one for ever it is that good.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1..._/PA043371.jpg

Call me a wimp if you please but when it is bucketing down on our roads I stick to less than 90 km/h. Not even a set of Coopers would keep me on the road. It is a function of tread depth rather than hardness(softness) of compound but having said that, I would prefer Pirellis being grippier, IME.

I take it the Le Mans has one turbo, not two. If looks are anything to go by, it must be a fun machine/go kart.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

that's one very funky 207!
    aquaplaning has become more of an issue - in my experience of the last few years,
    due to increasingly erratic weather patterns and sudden deluges - especially in
    a light car with widish tyres and shortish wheelbase. but how does one assess,
    apart from tread depth and pattern, whether a particular tyre is good at
    dispersing standing water? maybe something engineered in Germany -
    wet roads and fast autobahns - might address the problem more thoughtfully...
    I miss my wife's R12 with its soft suspension and skinny Michelins,
    a great car in the rain.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    I take it the Le Mans has one turbo, not two. If looks are anything to go by, it must be a fun machine/go kart.
    Of course. It's not a special engine - just Peugeot's DV6 TED4 (known as Ford DLD-416 as well) 1.6L common rail turbo diesel with 80kw/240nm. It's got a twin scroll turbo, but just one, not two.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Of course. It's not a special engine - just Peugeot's DV6 TED4 (known as Ford DLD-416 as well) 1.6L common rail turbo diesel with 80kw/240nm. It's got a twin scroll turbo, but just one, not two.
    The figures alone do not tell the story....The 1.6 HDi 110 has overboost in the top three gears via a detent point at the end of the throttle pedal travel, much like a kick down button on some automatics. The fun part is the fact that the power [ that is torque ] comes on storng at very low rpm. By 1700 rpm you are at peak torque and with the overboost its 260NM or 270NM for the later Euro 5 engine. This is enough to embarass a lot of V6's.

The best tyres for anti aqua planning are either Continental Premium / Sport Contact or Bridgestone ER300's. I have a set of the latter that I put on 2 months ago and they have been great in heavy rain. Very stable and confident. The Conti's wore out a bit quick for my liking and they are not cheap either.

In Germany tyres are the most important piece of kit on the car. When braking hard from 250+kmh and the road is wet or damp you don't want budget or oversize crap thats going to land you and your family in hospital or in the cemetary. Choosing the right tyre is serious business and it has to be right for your car, [ Size, Load rating, Speed rating etc ] For that reason its best to stick to tyres that your model has been tested with and that are recommended by the manufacturer.

A perfect example: One V8 commodore with very large wheel and tyre combo fighting for grip and control around a wet roundabout and my 207 with the Bridgestones easily keeping up without trying or any drama.
    Last edited by 908HDI; 19th September 2011 at 06:45 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Though the minimum legal tread depth is 1.6 mm (or 1.5 mm?), wet performance starts to decrease rapidly with a tread depth of 3 mm or less.

IIRC, the Le Mans or GTi variants are fitted with either Pirelli P Zero Nero (205/45 R17 88V XL) or Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (205/45 R17 88W XL), whilst the CC is fitted with Continental Sport Contact 2 or 3 (205/45 R17 88W XL).

When they were released, the original fitments (Pirelli P Zero Nero) were quite decent in wet, but as ever, there are now newer & better tyres on the market today, such as:

Bridgestone Potenza S001
    - Edges out the P Zero for best dry handling/grip honours, but is comparatively not as good in the wet as the other two tyres below.

Continental Sport Contact 3 (now due to be replaced by Sport Contact 5)
    - Provides great grip in the dry & wet, and the best aquaplaning resistance out of the three, but doesn't really feel like a sporty tyre behind the wheel.

Pirelli P Zero (not the older Nero, Rosso or System variants)
    - Has a responsive and sporty feel, great handling/grip in the dry, and best handling/grip in the wet, even though aquaplaning resistance isn't quite as good as the SC3 but better than the S001.

That being said, there's a limit to how much water a road tyre is able to disperse - the most practical solution being to simply slow down (especially if your tyres have a tread depth of 3 mm or less).

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post
    The figures alone do not tell the story....The 1.6 HDi 110 has overboost in the top three gears via a detent point at the end of the throttle pedal travel, much like a kick down button on some automatics. The fun part is the fact that the power [ that is torque ] comes on storng at very low rpm. By 1700 rpm you are at peak torque and with the overboost its 260NM or 270NM for the later Euro 5 engine. This is enough to embarass a lot of V6's.
    Yes I know, I have driven a Lemans edition 207 HDi. I would however say even the 110-115kw petrol is a better engine as it is just as flexible as the 80kw diesel, the torque comes in 200rpm lower, and it revs higher, but in 207 didn't use too much more fuel. All PSA euro 4 & 5 petrol and diesels have overboost and yes it is a good feature.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the feedback on tyres.

The tyres still have pleanty of tread depth and as pointed out a drop to 100kph and no issues. The weather here has been quite different from previous yars as we have sudden deluges and this was where I found the problem.

I looked at the tyre tread pattern and see that the grooves to disperse watrer are quite large in the centre areas but small in the outer area so I guess that the water just cant escape quickly plus a wider tyre on a light car would contribute.

I ask because I had never had a problem in the past like that. The areas where this occured were quite short like maybe a couple of meters so no real worry but enough to give me a warning.

I put Goodyears on my old 206GTI and found them great in the wet at lower speeds.

I generally found the PZero Nero's on my GT to be more sure footed in the wet than the Bridgestone RE050A's on the GTi, especially as the Bridgestone's have gotten some wear. However I have not driven in really heavy downpours in recent times. The wear rate of the Bridgestone's is not as good as the Pirelli's either, disappointly.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Yes I know, I have driven a Lemans edition 207 HDi. I would however say even the 110-115kw petrol is a better engine as it is just as flexible as the 80kw diesel, the torque comes in 200rpm lower, and it revs higher, but in 207 didn't use too much more fuel. All PSA euro 4 & 5 petrol and diesels have overboost and yes it is a good feature.
    The 207 petrol 1.6 [ 150 THP [ 112kw ]] uses 2.5l/100km more fuel on average than the 1.6 HDi. But its not bad as the 130kw version has no more torque.

The other difference is that the gears are longer on the Diesel so the torque is more usable.

The overboost feature is great. It was first used in the 405 Turbo 16 [ Not the Pike Peaks car ]

I haven't found a difference between the 206 GTi180 and the 207 GTi in regards to aquaplaning - they both seem to do it in the same circumstances.

I hit a nice sheet of water once in heavy rain on the freeway to Sydney from Canberra while on cruise control in the 207. The ESP appeared to disconnect the cruise almost immediately, but it was interesting for a second.

Incidentally, place the 115kW petrol engine in a car that's 200kg lighter than the 207 and it feels nearly as good as the GTi motor

Sadly - as has been mentioned previously - it's deathly quiet in comparison, but very lively all the same.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Default 3rd year report

Another year has gone by and now up to 31,000kms.

Still enjoy every drive and the diesel just gets better the more kilometers it has done.

The roof red stripes faded badly and were replaced under warranty. So thats the only fault we have has with the car.

Had a drive in a BMW 123 diesel and with 150KW and 400nm it was very impressive, the owner was equally impressed with the 207, better seats for him and quieter engine he said.

This is still one of, if not the best cars I have owned for driver satisfaction. If you havent driven a modern diesel give one a try.

Excellent news I thought about trying to get the hdi gti before I got the gti, Ie has the same looks similair performance yet excellent economy my gti has seen (going off the trip counter) 3000kms whilst I have owned it and 7.1 litres on average

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fifth Year Report

Five years on. The Lemans is still going well with no mechanical issues and 46,000 kilometres now completed.

I do not get to drive it much but when I do it reminds me of just how good this car is. Well while I did say I would never sell it circumstances have forced the issue and it will move on. I do not think I will ever have a car like this again very sad.

In 2007 I took my then fourteen year old daughter to the Peugeot Dealer one evening and she saw her first 207 through the window. She loved it and was hard to get her to come home!

This207 brochure has been on her pin up board in her bedroom ever since.

Now 21 she will soon own one, our Lemans. I hope this car remains in the family for a long time to come.
    lozenge likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Six year report.

It is still brilliant, the only issue is the red sticker on the bonnet fading and some fading of the clear on the rear bumper. One Head light is sun damaged and surviving with that headlight polish.

Mechanically faultless since the day we bought it.
    I do not know if this will ever leave. Our drive way.
    The Renault Laguna still keeping it company and it has gone well too. The window winders are giving up though on two windows.
    Compared to my brothers Subaru, yes the one who claims French cars are to expensive and problems the Laguna has been far more reliable and cheaper on parts over nine years.

Now sharing with a Nissan Patrol. I am enjoying the great outdoors exploring remote areas.
    Fordman and peujohn like this.

Thread Information