My gti is running hot. Opinions?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default My gti is running hot. Opinions?

I've noticed lately that my 206 is regularly running above 90 on the temperature gauge. In traffic it is hovering up around 3 quaters but there is no overheating symptoms and the car seems to be running fine. On the highway it generally hovers around half/a bit below. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Oh and I don't usually drive with the aircon on.

Any help is appreciated

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

This may or may not be normal.

Modern compact engines with electric thermo-fans tend to have higher temperatures in low speed or traffic type conditions.

However, a check that I would carry out straight away is to confirm that the thermo-fans are in fact operating. Sometimes, if the sensor switch is faulty & the fan is not running because of this, then turning on the airconditioning should then engage the fan & help to control any high coolant temperatures.

Of course, I assume coolant levels etc are OK? Also, that the front grill / radiator core etc is clear of debris?

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    This may or may not be normal.

Of course, I assume coolant levels etc are OK? Also, that the front grill / radiator core etc is clear of debris?

Cheers,
    Kim.
    +1 to that. I am not that familiar with a 206, but I have had success with flushing of the radiator to make sure you are using the full cooling capacity

Tadpole

My GTi indicates around the 90 mark on occasion, the owners manual states that anywhere within the white markers on the gauge is fine and normal, problem only when the needle heads into the red.

So as the others have said, if your levels are topped up etc.
    I would only get concerned if you see the needle start to climb pass the last white marker heading for the first red mark.

Cheers

Tadpole

cheers guys,

I did have it serviced only last week so the coolant was changed and yes the radiator is clear of any debris (I did double check just to make sure I wasn't the dumbest man alive).

Seems like I'm worrying over nothing I guess? I'll have to see how it goes in the summer when the weather starts to really warm up

Quote Originally Posted by gti01 View Post
    cheers guys,

I did have it serviced only last week so the coolant was changed and yes the radiator is clear of any debris (I did double check just to make sure I wasn't the dumbest man alive).

Seems like I'm worrying over nothing I guess? I'll have to see how it goes in the summer when the weather starts to really warm up
    Is the temperature behaving differently to before the coolant was changed? If so, I'd suggest the person changing it may not have done a very good job of bleeding the system.

I think the needle sitting at three quarters is a little high, but then I always had the climate control on and that means the fan is always ticking over.

It's certainly still well within the "OK" range, but it really only goes there when you've been driving in a spirited fashion (or for a while on a motorway) and the oil temp is up.

Have you checked that the fan operates?
    Last edited by SLC206; 20th September 2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

gday simon,

No I only really started to notice it a couple of weeks ago before the coolant was changed, thought the coolant change might make some sort of difference but it hasnt.

The fan does definately work when the air-con is on but I never usually drive with it on. Maybe I'll have to start doing so and see if it runs cooler? I'll keep an eye on the oil temp in future as well (didn't even think about that). I don't really drive it in a 'spirited' fashion at all apart from the occasional traffic light grand prix.

Thread Information