405 speedo clicking 89
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 405 speedo clicking 89

just replaced the gearbox be2 the new one came with no speedo gears so i swaped them over, the box runs fine with no diff noise but i have a clicking noise in the speedo which gets louder when i depress the clutch ,the cable is fairly new, it had a little flicker on the needle with the old box but nothing like this ,could i have dislodged something in the left cv when i had it apart thats causing a vibration in the drive shaft, more so on overrun ,the old box lost 5th so theres little likelyhood of that causing the problem ,the cable is properly engaged in the gearbox ,i have a spare drive shaft i can try ,and am going to drive the cable with my batery drill from the bottom [in the right direction] see if its still there ,but this noise on the overruns got me baffled ,any ideas PUGS

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Im wondering

the gearbox came with the speedo drive housing removed and the driven gear missing ,when i asked the wrecker why he had removed it he said he hadnt taken one of these out before ,puzzling ,he asked me several times how long before i was going to install it ,i was thinking he may have given it a good clean and was worried about water being in it ,i also asked if there were any shims between the housing and the diff bearing ,had they fallen out ,of course he said no ,this was some 8 months ago, iv only just gotten around to installing it, so im wondering if there are in fact shims missing allowing the diff to float from side to side giving me these symptoms , im about to find out PUGS

1000+ Posts

Default still clicking

tried another cluster ,dropped the 1/2 shaft eliminated the end float in the drive gear, PUT THE BEST DRIVEN GEAR I HAVE IN , diff has no float ,sounds like il have to locate a new cable ,still cant work out why it gets worse on the over run PUGS

Thread Information