405 Heater flap motor
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Heater flap motor

Hi,

Advertisement

The motor that controls the flap to direct air over the heater core has busted. On inspection after pulling it apart one of the gears inside has a couple of teeth missing. I've searched all the pages and found one bloke saying he had fixed it from a part off his R/C car.
    Has anyone else successfully fixed this part or am i up for a new one??

Cheers, Ryan.
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Common problem, also with D8 406 models as they have the same motor IIRC

Usual thing is to disconnect wires to stop the thing clicking/grinding away, and, push the flap to incoming air (ie. not recirc)

Gears are prone to breaking inside motor housing (usually big final gear thats got all the torque on it.)
    The other possible problem is the circuit board in the motor housing fails and it doesnt turn the motor off when the flap is at the end of its travel and therefore motor just churns away and stuffs the gears that way

I have heard of gears (Tamiya???) from hobby shops being adapted but I didnt bother. just put up with incoming air all the time.
    Bear in mind if circuit board stuffed the new gear will probably strip out first time its used

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

1000+ Posts

Default before the crash

there was a post on this from memory they were Tameya [spellimg wrong but you get the drift ] gears that were baught seperatly im told that rangerovers use the same magic gearbox make sure you assemble it as it came apart as theres limit switches in there that tell the motor when to turn off ,if its not set up properly you may end up with more stuffed gears PUGS

Decca,
    There are two motors on the 405. One switches between fresh air and recirculate, the other switches between hot and cold air. The one that changes the hot and cold air is the one giving me trouble, otherwise i would do as you say and just disconnect it and have it permanently set to fresh air...

pugwash,
    Tamyia was the brand was it? i thought it was but wasnt 100% sure. Any idea what gears can be used as a replacement? My searching has also revealed range rovers use the same motors, ironic thing is they talk about replacing broken ones with peugeot parts...

So far i've found one seller on ebay uk selling a second hand part, they say its working so it might be worth the risk even if i can just swap the stripped gear over...
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

1000+ Posts

Default flap motor

mine died a long time ago, so i replaced it temporarily with a peace of coat hanger through the dash ,its still like that ,may still have the motor hanging around ,will take it apart and see whats broken ,if i can find it ,trouble is there all getting all now ,PUGS

Until I came across a few good 2nd hand motors, I'd just remove it and stick my hand up under (whilst dislocating shoulder) and have either hot for winter or cold for summer.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It was me that described the tamiya gear replacement, from memory it was a 13 tooth drive pinion off a 10th scale RC car, I glued it to the bigger gear on the same shaft but the pinion has it own grub screw. The other mod I did was to change the motor driving transistors from 500mv to 1v (BC547s maybe?) because these often blow. In operation its best not to to go full hot or cold on the temperature dial because I don't believe there are any limit switches but rather a variable resistor/pot whos resitance related to the flap position. This arrangement lasted the 18months or so before I traded the car on a 406.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

1000+ Posts

Default flap motor

sorry cant help you with the flap motor, must have chucked it when i moved late last year

i used a super cheap auto choke cable...worked for years

Thanks for all the replys guys,
    I;ve purchased a replacement second hand unit from UK ebay so we'll see if i can use that or swap the gears over...

Regards, Ryan.
    Ryan

'94 Peugeot 405 SRDT

Tadpole

if anyone has any pictures of the unit and how to remove it, i would really appreciate it, my unit was replaced but now does not give any noise or movement now so i want to rig up a manual system but i get confused at what i'm suppose to be removing.

Thread Information