broken dipstick 307
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default broken dipstick 307

Hello all
    i have a 307 2002 2 litre diesel and the rubber on the dipstick has disentergrated and some of it is stuck in the tube.
    it seems that where the tbe enters the sump it is onle a push in fit but i have undone the two bolts holding the bracket and i cannot seem to free the tube from the sump.
    Is what i am doing correct ?
    does anyone know if there is trick to this?
    how much force should i apply to free the tube?
    will i be able to get ithe tube back in?
    at present i cannot check the oil level as the tube is blocked with the remains of the rubber from the dipstick.
    anty thoughts or advice would be appreciated
    thankyou
    Bill
    pug 307
    Moto Guzzi 850t
    Moto Guzzi California III
    "It's only slippery if you think it is"

Advertisement

Default stick

I just replaced mine on a 2001 206gti. I got to mine just before it broke off. Pretty common apparently.
    The new ones are a totally different type with a hard plastic top and a different bottom section. Genuine only unfortunately. My new one was about $50 new from Peugeot.
    Can you withdraw it with some long nose pliers or a kitchen skewer due to the narrowness of the top of the tube?

good luck.

Tadpole

It is too far down the tube
    rather frustrating
    or
    it's a bugger really
    Bill

"It's only slippery if you think it is"

It all depends how far down the broken pieces have got to. You really don't want these pieces clogging up the oil pump.

If a thin wire does not work then to be on the safe side I would drain the oil and drop the sump and give it a good clean out. Push out anything jammed in the dipstick hole from the sump end and give the oil pump a good clean. You'll need a new gasket and some good sealer. It does not take too long so better safe than sorry.

I dropped a sump on my friends Saab 9-5 not too long ago and the amount of sludge I found around the oil pump mesh was surprising....

Its not as messy as you think. Just use some washing up gloves and a good oil pan.

Tadpole

yeah maybe you are right. I was hoping to just remove the tube but it doesn't seem to be possible.i will try the wire again then see what happens.
    Bill

Thread Information