Brakes upgrade for 205 Gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brakes upgrade for 205 Gti

Hi all:

I read from an archive website saying one can fit a 405 mi16 front calipers on standard discs of 1.6 Gti hubs.

The reason I ask is because I'm planning a restoration/upgrade to my 87 205 Gti and I would like to upgrade the braking power while retaining the 14" wheels. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to use the 14" wheels with the mi16 caliper installed?

Advertisement

Thanks for your time, any info are appreciated.

Oscar

Haven't heard of that. You normally fit Si hubs which allows late 205, 206 or 306 brakes to be fitted.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbox View Post
    87 205 Gti and I would like to upgrade the braking power while retaining the 14" wheels
    I had thought to do the same, i have rebuilt originals and have no issues in road form at least, the thing stops on a dime and IMO has great feel if perhaps a somewhat mushy initial feel.

The standard brakes would lock up Falken tyres on the pepperpots, i have just fitted 15" 195 potenzas, i will check tonight if they still have the power to lock them up.

To me if they can lock up the tyres, provide good feel then that's all that is needed except perhaps in track usage if you get fade, but they are at least vented discs and i imagine more powerful calipers on the same disc would possibly heat / fade quicker?

Not saying dont do it, since it's pretty easy from what i know, just that it probably isnt necessary.

don't bother on upgrading the brakes, invest in good pads and fluid.

i also thought, if you upgrade the front brakes i would think you would need to match the rear, perhaps a disc rear or change the brake bias bit.

currently with my car, slowing down is more an issue of dampening performance and road conditions than brake power.

I recently refurbished my S3 brakes and added dic rear end and they are a million time better than any other 205 I have driven. Booster was replaced and new fluid. Brilliant
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thanks everyone for the reply and suggestions.
    If rebuliding the originals with good pads and fluid will lock up the pepperpots, then I won't waste my money on it.

Maybe some grooved discs on the front and braided lines will further improve them because I'm planning to mildly tune the 8v.

I'd definitely spend money on it. The 1.6L GTi brakes are crap compared to the later 1.9L GTi brakes, as the calipers are completely different. Take your time to source some Si hubs then upgrade to 266mm rotors and 206/306 calipers.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information