'cracked' 306 1.8 cylinder head
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 'cracked' 306 1.8 cylinder head

Has any member of our little fraternity - one of the "technical" ones, ever encountered a cracked head on a (in this case a '98 306 Style) Peugeot 1.8 litre engine ? In this instance, it has reputedly been caused through over-tightening of a bolt, which has caused a crack that communicates with part of the water passageways. Last week I drove it back from near Caloundra, north of Brisbane, even lost for a while in the dark either side of Beudesert, much frustration, wasting probably 20 litres of fuel, but it wasn't unduly ruffled then; only when, landing in Coffs Harbour with Kyogle and Glenreagh behind me, in ten minutes of CBD traffic, the car did get warm, and I could smell the familiar pug green coolant on a hot surface. That night from 10pm after stopping for dinner with friends, I continued through the next night in the company of many B-doubles but few cars, making Hornsby in 5/+ half hours. Cool as, so long as I pushed plenty of air. I have potentially located the crack, and welding seems out of the question. The car runs perfectly otherwise, and lost maybe a cup of coolant in 1000 kilometres. I am considering some careful drilling, with maybe a 4mm drill, then an undersize fine-thread bolt and Devcon epoxy. Could it be made to work in lieu of a disruptive and dreary cylinder head replacement ? A kilo of luxurious bananas to the best effective suggestion. (Please note the key word 'effective') We all love bananas, especially at the price they have been lately. Please Help if you can

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 306cabmad View Post
    Has any member of our little fraternity - one of the "technical" ones, ever encountered a cracked head on a (in this case a '98 306 Style) Peugeot 1.8 litre engine ? In this instance, it has reputedly been caused through over-tightening of a bolt, which has caused a crack that communicates with part of the water passageways. Last week I drove it back from near Caloundra, north of Brisbane, even lost for a while in the dark either side of Beudesert, much frustration, wasting probably 20 litres of fuel, but it wasn't unduly ruffled then; only when, landing in Coffs Harbour with Kyogle and Glenreagh behind me, in ten minutes of CBD traffic, the car did get warm, and I could smell the familiar pug green coolant on a hot surface. That night from 10pm after stopping for dinner with friends, I continued through the next night in the company of many B-doubles but few cars, making Hornsby in 5/+ half hours. Cool as, so long as I pushed plenty of air. I have potentially located the crack, and welding seems out of the question. The car runs perfectly otherwise, and lost maybe a cup of coolant in 1000 kilometres. I am considering some careful drilling, with maybe a 4mm drill, then an undersize fine-thread bolt and Devcon epoxy. Could it be made to work in lieu of a disruptive and dreary cylinder head replacement ? A kilo of luxurious bananas to the best effective suggestion. (Please note the key word 'effective') We all love bananas, especially at the price they have been lately. Please Help if you can
    If it a minor weep I would give some chemi weld a try. Chemi weld is a coolant additive that has a chemical in suspension. When exposed CO (carbo monoxide) the chemical comes out of suspension and forms a hardening, solid seal.

If the leak is into an area where combustion gasses are present then it should work. Especially if the leak is minor.

I have successfully used chemi weld on full scale "blown" head gaskets in XN 504 engines and have had lasting results in stemming the flow for a number of years.

I've never had any ill effects on the cooling system. Never use Bars Leaks!
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Ive got a 1.8 8 valve head here..I had it skimmed and crack tested then the rest of the motor was stuffed..PM me if interested..Im near Lismore

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Rob ! Sorry, I left out that important bit of info; Chemiweld has been applied, and may be credited with the leak not being worse. The guy who sold it to me did this very recently, following the instructions. I used it on my previous Charade, and I though it suggested using only water in the interim (if that had been the case (not entirely sure) I thought the ethylene glycol chemical may have contaminated the goo. However, this has a full measure of 'purest green' as Sir Percy would have put it, and behaving well in the circumstances.

Fellow Frogger!

'Day Stuart. Thanks, but I am hoping to side-step the hard bit. Will keep it in mind though. Geography is also a small downside. What is your price ?

'Day Stuart. Thanks, but I am hoping to side-step the hard bit. Will keep it in mind though. Geography is also a small downside. What is your price ?
    Doh!

I thought I had replied to two very similar problems.

And I gave the same advice.

I guess the first owner took it
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Are you sure its a cracked head? I've never heard of one cracking a head but cracked engine blocks (especially the alloy blocks) is almost common.

Chemiweld should still buy you some time, maybe you need more than one bottle, personally I think there's better sealant products on the market than chemiweld but anyone of them should work.
    I've limped cars home with cracked blocks for hundreds of kms so sealants do work.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

What I'm reading in your initial thread runs fine with lots of air flow - cooks at low speed - sounds a lot more like a fan not working than a head gasket.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Fellow Frogger!

Ahoy David - thanks for thinking of us 'battlers' (l-out-l as the cliche is). I got that wrong about the head; it is definitely the cylinder block, down low, and I got some info from another who has 'been there'. I am told it is a corrosion issue, and the crack emerges horizontally, towards the end of the block, just about the line of the step the liner sits on inside. At least it changes my view of what may be required, and Devcon is no longer on the list of remedies. If it is horizontal (and accessible) I may investigate a generous aluminium weld. That gives me hope of something short of an 'engine out' or 'cylinder head off'. I will no doubt report my findings, unless I should fall on my arse, then you won't hear another word.

Thread Information