Headlight plugs melting!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Headlight plugs melting!

Hi Guys... Wondering if anyone can confirm an issue Im having with my GTI180...

Advertisement

THe headlights have a tendency to blow every 3-5 months..... first left, then a few weeks later the right...

I knew something was wrong, but I just ended up buying a stack $2 bulbs off ebay and lived with it...

Ive noticed that the actual plastic plug fittings are melting on the car. And the wires are looking a little bit burnt that lead into the plug fitting.

Is this a problem with the alternator?? Never seen it before...

Thanks in advance..!
    Remember, its not a game, its a state of mind......

Fellow Frogger!

Are you changing the bulbs yourself ?
    Apparently if you touch the actual glass/clear part of them with your fingers it can cause them to overheat and blow.

Icon6

G'day,
    I have replaced the front bulbs once in six years. Sounds like too much current, but why ? No Idea, sorry.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by dekkar View Post
    Hi Guys... Wondering if anyone can confirm an issue Im having with my GTI180...

THe headlights have a tendency to blow every 3-5 months..... first left, then a few weeks later the right...

I knew something was wrong, but I just ended up buying a stack $2 bulbs off ebay and lived with it...

Ive noticed that the actual plastic plug fittings are melting on the car. And the wires are looking a little bit burnt that lead into the plug fitting.

Is this a problem with the alternator?? Never seen it before...

Thanks in advance..!
    Usually melted plugs indicates contact resistance, ie poor connections to the globes.

However if they are el cheapo ebay globes it could be a problem with them.

Auto electricians sell three pin headlight connectors with a wire tail for a few bucks each.

I suggest you a buy pair of these and fit to the existing wiring.

You will need to cut off the existing connector, note the wire positions and either solder and heatshrink or use a crimp joiner to join the new connectors to the car wiring.

If the problem is fixed well and good. If it comes back toss out the globes and buy a brand name unit.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Tadpole

im changing them myself... but I never touch the glass... I leave the foam on the glass till they are plugged in and ready to go...

The bulbs are cheap crappy hong kong specials.... like 2 bucks each.... I doubt they would be causing the melting issue.... but I know that they will never last long...

Just dont wanna spend 80 bucks on decent bulbs to have them blow in a months time....!

My mechanic said it could be the alternator.... but it sounded like it was a bit of a trial and error kind of move.... maybe I will just have to replace it and see what happens...

Tadpole

Hi Robmac.... thx for the reply.....

they are junk lamps.... so your reasoning sounds right....

I'll look into getting the new plug.... then some decent ones.

Thx guys for the suggestions..
    \

WHat voltage are you reading at the bulb connector, and at the battery??

Jo

Banned

i think you can categorically discount the alternator theory. current through the bulb is proportional to voltage, and if the voltage were so much higher than spec as to cause enough increased current to melt the plugs, i think you would be noticing other electrical problems. that said, it is simple enough to put a meter across the battery terminals when the car is running.

I would measure (just for experiment's sake) the resistance across the globe filaments too. Whilst it is unlikely that you might have all the bad luck in the world, it is entirely possible that you got a batch of bad globes and given you had to replace them so often, perhaps ahd two servings of it.

As for the el cheapo globes, I guess they'll be all over the place if measured. Still, not necessarily that bad as to explain the burned connectors.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 5th September 2011 at 08:57 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

I'll see what the voltages are when I next change them,.... (probably in a week or so ehehhehehe

THanks for all the responses...

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I would measure (just for experiment's sake) the resistance across the globe filaments too. Whilst it is unlikely that you might have all the bad luck in the world, it is entirely possible that you got a batch of bad globes and given you had to replace them so often, perhaps ahd two servings of it.

As for the el cheapo globes, I guess they'll be all over the place if measured. Still, not necessarily that bad as to explain the burned connectors.
    I was considering the contact surfaces of the lamp contacts and also the thermal sinking of the lamp heat into the mount rather than filament resistance.

Filaments being, positive temperature coefficient, won't always give an accurate/ the same reading when they are cold. So the accurate way is to use an ammeter whilst switched on.

As you say, I can't see a slight variation in filament resistance having a devastating effect on the contacts. Unless of course they are a lamp with higher filament rating than original. Even within limits they should be OK because circuit resistance should limit power available.

Anyway, I'm still backing the lamp connectors, possibly made worse by dodgy lamps without decent plating on the contacts in manufacture.

Please get back to us
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Icon6

G'day,
    or, you could try an auto electrician.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thread Information