504 rear brake calipers
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

504 rear brake calipers

Hi everyone,

Our 504's rear brake calipers have occasionally got stuck on when you put the hand brake on over the last year or so. We've taken them out, cleaned them up and put them back in a number of times so far, and each time it only works for so long. Sometimes taking the white cap off the end and spraying WD40 in solves the problem, but again, only for a short time. Time for new ones we've decided.

We've been quoted about $600 EACH for the calipers from P504 Services, and we need two of them. That's almost half the value of the car!

Has anyone else replaced calipers more cheaply before??

Advertisement

Derek.

nJm
    I'm in the same situation, except the handbrake on my 505 GR is stuck off - the calipers won't activate.

I've been quoted $400, although now that you mention it, i don't know if that was for 1 or 2...

That was at Universe Motors in Richmond, Melbourne.

I'll let you know how I go, and how much I have to pay frown
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Just reco them yourself. It's not too hard, and the kits are pretty cheap. To make the job easier, buy some other second hand ones and reco them, then just swap them over. This saves having the car off the road, if the reco takes longer than expected.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    had the same problem once with my old mans 504
    i re built the calipers but the problem still occured.
    i then removed the hand brake cables and and applied a product called "never-seize" to the inner cables of the handbrake and placed them back in the car
    i them applied this product to the handbrake actuator arm on the calipers and the handbrake worked a treat from then on
    the beauty of this stuff is that it is waterproof and takes years for it to wear off
    you can buy it just about anywhere
    it is normally used for treating threads on bolts that you don't want to rust over time and aids removing them at a later stage
    there is also another product called "copa-coat" which does much the same thing but doesn't last as long
    BTW i also did this to my mothers 203 that she had and the cables and handbrake worked well for years afterwards
    but in saying this though you will have to ensure that your seals are in good condition in the calipers and the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper is ok and has not been butchered by some lame mechanic when putting in new pads
    always remember to turn the piston 1/8th of a turn before pushing the piston back before fitting new pads in the rear of you 504/5,604 as this disengages the handbrake ratchet inside the caliper
    regards
    pugrambo
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

DeKa:

We've been quoted about $600 EACH for the calipers from P504 Services, and we need two of them. That's almost half the value of the car!

Has anyone else replaced calipers more cheaply before??

Derek.
    My daughter had them both replaced with new ones by a brakes franchise in Melbourne for about $400 all up about twelve months ago. Mind you, I had to readjust them myself later because they hadn't properly dealt with the handbrake adjuster.

This was for calipers and fitting only (We had a new set of pads in the boot). If disks, pads, wheel cylinders etc are being replaced too then the cost mounts pretty quickly. Do you know how much work P504 were going to do?

It can be pretty freaky when they stick on while driving! Smoke and potential risks etc etc. I was following her once when it happened.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

1000+ Posts
    Hi guys,

We've rebuilt them ourselves before, and that was why we enquired about new ones.

P504 was quoting just on the price of the parts and we were going to do it ourselves.

The discs are reasonable.. we weren't going to both doing anything with them.

Dad's just about to go down to ASV European in Guilford to see how much some used calipers are.

On a side note I just installed Telstra ADSL at work with their 'self installation kit' which went very smoothly. Took less than 1 hour from start to finish. Let's just hope it's reliable! touch wood.

Derek.

[quote]Rod Hagen:
    It can be pretty freaky when they stick on while driving! Smoke and potential risks etc etc. .
    Know that feeling!

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information