Wreck this 404?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wreck this 404?

Tadpole

Default Wreck this 404?

I need 2nd 3rd 4th opinion. I dont think I will just keep asking until I here what I want. I just cant trash this car from one reply to a thread even thou I am sure the advice comes from some on with far more knowledge than me. The more I read and learn about this car the more I want it. Please check my profile then look at my photo album. Is it to far gone?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Crab

From the one pic I'd say it don't look too flash. That said, you live in a country where some ground up restorations are legendary.

Panels will come up from time to time but finding and fixing all the rust in the chassis and underneath will be the true challenge.

Has the car lived a lot on roads that get salted in winter? Are you going to be doing all the work yourself?

An alternative strategy might be to look for another one in better condition and keep yours as a donor. At this stage the car is worthless, you might make a few pennies by parting it out but if you really want a 404 then those parts will be worth more to you.

Good luck

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    I need 2nd 3rd 4th opinion. I dont think I will just keep asking until I here what I want. I just cant trash this car from one reply to a thread even thou I am sure the advice comes from some on with far more knowledge than me. The more I read and learn about this car the more I want it. Please check my profile then look at my photo album. Is it to far gone?
    In my opinion that car is not a repair candidate. Localised rust in the floors, sills, jacking mounts and buttress panels is repairable. Almost any 403 or 404 repairer has done it.

Your car, unfortunately, has the Swiss cheese syndrome. However there are more holes than cheese in the affected areas. This means that large scale panel fabrication will be necessary. If it was a Citroen DS some nutter would tackle it. But 404's aren't scare or highly thought of enough to repair when at this level.

When the rust penetrates three sections and is so deep seated in my opinion it's time to give up. The sections in rear door are next to impossible to repair without totally disassembling the fabric of the car, body parts may be available but fitting them is a major major job.

If you love 404s (as I do) find a better body and use the car you have as a donor. Later model front disk brake cars are nicer to drive in modern traffic.

I'm sorry to be a prophet of doom. But it's better to know now before spending lots of time and thousands of dollars.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Hi Crab

From the one pic I'd say it don't look too flash. That said, you live in a country where some ground up restorations are legendary.

Panels will come up from time to time but finding and fixing all the rust in the chassis and underneath will be the true challenge.

Has the car lived a lot on roads that get salted in winter? Are you going to be doing all the work yourself?

An alternative strategy might be to look for another one in better condition and keep yours as a donor. At this stage the car is worthless, you might make a few pennies by parting it out but if you really want a 404 then those parts will be worth more to you.

Good luck

P
    I have more pics in my profile under photo album, pics that give more detail. These TV shows have made me think I could do one of these restorations. The project just keeps growing. There is a lot editing on these TV shows. I am extreamly impressed when checking out some of the resto projects from these frogs. Yes I am going to be doing this my self. It will be my first shot at a lot of things like welding or any work on a car. So please bare with me I am just a tadpole here.

Snow ice and salt, I am told the 404 has sat in a damp garage from 82-2011.

Hi Crab,

Looking at the close-ups in your album, I'd be reluctant to advise continuing.... That is serious, structural rust that will be difficult to repair & make sound - especially when you may be able to fin another car for a very reasonable price - old pugs seem to be mostly un-loved in the US.....

I will be wrecking a 404 that is no-where near that bad, as I consider it to be un-economical..... Personally, I'd give up on yours, too, but ultimately the decision is yours...... But if you're not extremely skilled with a Mig & don't have heaps of spare time, than I'd leave this one alone.....

As ex-frogger says, it WOULD make a really good doner - It's a nice early car, with a good interior & other nice bits....

Even if it was a Coupé or Cabriolet, I'd hesitate to tackle it, you are looking at >1000 hours of DIY on the body alone, assuming you are a very good amateur coachbuilder.

The sedan was sold to the tune of over 2 million, the Cabriolets and Coupés were (together) only up to a bit more than 17,000 produced, and the present day value reflects that. Meaning you'd not be likely to have a value of much more than $8000 if the car was fully restored. Coupés go for $30,000 in show condition and Cabriolets are about 10 grand more than that, so the financial disparity is brutal.

That said, a 1961 404 is a very early car and it would be nice if you were to give it a shot, just from the historical point of view.

The mechanical part of the restoration will cost a fair bit too, count on several thousand in parts to deal with the brakes, engine, transmission, rear axle and interior.
    Last edited by Mike Tippett; 7th August 2011 at 02:58 PM.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

1000+ Posts

Default i see that Lansing is in MICHIGAN

im presuming the car is from thereabouts ,which probably means salt on winter roads ,try getting a car from texas or california which usualy have good bodies and high millage ,im presuming yours may be a low miler which would be an excellent donor ,some restoes make for good television ,but not for common sense , sorry .Your cars is out there ,just keep shaking the tree ,at least now we have the internet ,post some pictures ,maybe someone knowes were one is but dousnt know what it is ,im presuming there not all that common in your parts ,what about clubs in ,QUEBEQUE , DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT i dont think so ,ps theres a guy in the north east , i contacted who has a lot of spares but i think for later models 505 etc ,he may be able to steer you in the right direction ,couldnt help me as i was after parts for 405 diesel which you guys didnt get ,think he was in MASS got his email from some guy on here .lost it now good luck PUGS

Thread Information