407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) $300ea?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) $300ea?

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default 407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) $300ea?

    Posting this for Peter who was putting air in his tyres this week. He had some difficulty getting the petrol station hose off, giggled it a bit and it broke. Great, the mugs at Peugeot made them out of cast alloy, presumebly to cut cost then put a lofty $300 price tag on them!

    So, he put the spare on. Car squeeles at him every time he goes to drive it now. So evidently you need the special valves to stop it from screaming at you. He's going to attempt to repair the valve but does anyone know a way around paying $300 for one?

    Btw. is this pricing reflected throughout all the new peugeots?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts BIGRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Rocks, Sydney
    Posts
    2,133

    Default ?

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    Posting this for Peter who was putting air in his tyres this week. He had some difficulty getting the petrol station hose off, giggled it a bit and it broke. Great, the mugs at Peugeot made them out of cast alloy, presumebly to cut cost then put a lofty $300 price tag on them!

    So, he put the spare on. Car squeeles at him every time he goes to drive it now. So evidently you need the special valves to stop it from screaming at you. He's going to attempt to repair the valve but does anyone know a way around paying $300 for one?

    Btw. is this pricing reflected throughout all the new peugeots?
    I thought that it was great when I had a flat and put the spare on, to find out that the spare has no pressure sensor, however a flashing message warned me of this fact. The fact is that Peugeot was too cheap to fit a sensor to the spare! Though I can see the reasoning, it is to keep the price down on an $80000 odd on the road car .
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

    Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

    "Be reasonable do it my way!"


  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    I'm of the opinion that if you can't tell when your tyre pressures are down you're not driving hard enough.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    Btw. is this pricing reflected throughout all the new peugeots?
    Considering the prices I am being quoted on for discs and pads for the front of 407 It seems that this is the case!!!!
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    259

    Default

    A repair kit is available for the 407 (which is essentially just the valve, bolt, ring and cap) - part number is "541205".

    There is no way it should cost $300 - I think you probably got quoted for the electronic sensor itself (which includes above parts).


    And yes, the electronic sensor is not fitted on the spare wheel (should be mentioned in the owner's manual, IIRC).

    EDIT - the reason why the system is in fault mode is because it can't detect the one of the sensors. It knows this because the sensors are built in with a motion detector.

    EDIT 2 - whenever the sensor itself is removed from the wheel for whatever reason, it is highly recommended to fit a new valve and bolt.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! salman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Australie
    Posts
    173

    Default got

    I need the ref number off your crook one,I have two good second hand ones.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    He was given the part no. 5430T4.

    According to the dealership, there are two styles. One you can replace the valve and sensor separately, the other you have to buy the whole unit. Is this correct? Oh, and he supposedly has the one where you have to buy the whole unit.

  8. #8
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,258

    Default

    $170 gets you this

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tyre-Pres...ht_2185wt_1263

    wonder if they are compatible
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    He was given the part no. 5430T4.

    According to the dealership, there are two styles. One you can replace the valve and sensor separately, the other you have to buy the whole unit. Is this correct? Oh, and he supposedly has the one where you have to buy the whole unit.
    5430T4 is indeed the part no. for the sensor.

    In my mind, the presence of a repair kit would logically indicate that valve and related parts can be replaced separately, for the type as fitted on 407 models anyway.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Thanks, I'll pass the info on and I'm sure he'll look in to it.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! paulrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    214

    Default High tech nightmare

    Reading all of this I am glad I am too broke to update my Pugs...
    It reminds me of Cds vs the now ancient LP records. Or come to think of it, VHS tapes vs DVDs

    A crappy old LP would play, just badly. But a crappy CD doesn't play at all.

    A bit like a Pug 406 that won't bloody start because the computer keeps reading problems..... so I can't even drive it to the repairer!!

    The more sensors and high tech things added to new cars, means heaps more to go wrong when they are getting old.


    I wonder how many people will disconnect their tyre pressure sensors when the warranty period is long over and the price of spares is still ridiculous.

    A while ago I have a 2006 RAV4 with a seatbelt alarm for the front passenger seat. Problem was it kept going off when 15kg of shopping was on the seat. So I simply cut the wire to the sensor........
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

    Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    Reading all of this I am glad I am too broke to update my Pugs...
    It reminds me of Cds vs the now ancient LP records. Or come to think of it, VHS tapes vs DVDs

    A crappy old LP would play, just badly. But a crappy CD doesn't play at all.

    A bit like a Pug 406 that won't bloody start because the computer keeps reading problems..... so I can't even drive it to the repairer!!

    The more sensors and high tech things added to new cars, means heaps more to go wrong when they are getting old.

    I wonder how many people will disconnect their tyre pressure sensors when the warranty period is long over and the price of spares is still ridiculous.
    The pressure sensors are operated by a lithium battery, which should give an approximate life of 10 years.

    But the electronics are encased in resin to reduce vibrations, so I imagine much fiddling and cursing will be needed if you attempt to replace it (like this bloke).

    I suppose you could remove the sensors and replace it with conventional valves, but you'll need a diagnostic computer turn the tyre pressure monitor function off, otherwise the car will be forever telling you there's something wrong with the sensors.

    Not to say this is an issue exclusive to Peugeot - lots of vehicle manufacturers worldwide use the same system from the same company or similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    A while ago I have a 2006 RAV4 with a seatbelt alarm for the front passenger seat. Problem was it kept going off when 15kg of shopping was on the seat. So I simply cut the wire to the sensor........
    Why not just do up the seatbelt beforehand?

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    I'm sure if he could cut the wire to the damn sensor that makes the car squeel at you whenever you open the drivers door with keys in the ignition. Unnecesssry and bloody annoying.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Shobbz: the standard Peugeot brake pads are awful. I drove it and the brakes bit excessively even with very slight pressure. Don't run the stock pads, they'll wear the disc rotors in no time.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! salman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Australie
    Posts
    173

    Default photo

    Are yours identical?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) 0ea?-004.jpg   407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) 0ea?-003.jpg  

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    Shobbz: the standard Peugeot brake pads are awful. I drove it and the brakes bit excessively even with very slight pressure. Don't run the stock pads, they'll wear the disc rotors in no time.
    But where to get an alternative? And will others squeal?
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! callipygous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Salman: No idea, I've not seen the black box in the photo, just a tiny valve looking thing. Does the black box sit in the tyre?

    Shobbz: Disctek was the brand that Peter used. They don't dust at all, the wheels stay cleaner a lot longer and I have never heard them squeal. They feel a lot better as they don't bite in and grind, but have a definite feel.

    I'm sure that plenty of other options are available, too. I'd wager that just about any after market pad would be better than the ones that came standard on his 407. They felt awful! I've never felt brakes that bad.

    Just an aside, I bought a tube of copper slip the other week. On the packet it claimed that applying it to the backside of a squealing brake pad would help eliminate the squealing. Haven't ever tried it, as I've never had a problem with brakes squealing on anything I've owned, but I thought I'd keep it in mind in case something of that nature develops.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! paulrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post

    Why not just do up the seatbelt beforehand?

    Yeap could do that..... but it was bloody annoying....

    I understand having one for the driver, but the passenger...... not needed....

    Also you don't have to wear a seat belt off road or if you are travelling under 25km on road (in Vic)..

    I sold it anyway and bought a 406......
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

    Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! salman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Australie
    Posts
    173

    Default location

    Sensor is inside tyre,so get deflate and press in outer sidewall,it is held by screw thread on valve stem,go to a tyre shop that knows what they are doing as while pushing sidewall in with pneumatic machine i have seen them ripping sensors.

  20. #20
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7

    Default

    This is perfectly correct. There is no sensor on the spare and the computer will squeal at you if you don't have a sensor on all four tyres. One amendment though, I have just been quoted $600 at the Peugeot dealer here in the ACT for one sensor. A pack of four OEM ones is available from the UK for $154. The Peugeot dealers in Australia are a disgrace.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    6,756

    Default

    Some of these have a replaceable valve stem, which might have been the trouble. If so, you can get them from the UK very cheaply.

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    253

    Default

    just get a set from a wrecker

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    I am aware that modern cars are safer but, all things considered, I'm not persuaded to use one personally & the above remarks reinforce that. (I like my cars "raw".)

    My car use rotates among my four toys (youngest 1979, oldest 1958): Moke, Djet, R8 & 4CV. Despite my best efforts (2 have roll cages, 3 have 4-point harnesses, each has very careful attention to suspension modifications & tyre choice) I realise that, despite their exemplary primary safety (short of ABS which I'd retrofit if I could) I have much less chance of surviving a crash than in a modern car. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving them & not being irritated by the attempted replacement for my autonomous judgement which seems part of modern vehicles.

    YMMV, Peter

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger! N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I am aware that modern cars are safer but, all things considered, I'm not persuaded to use one personally & the above remarks reinforce that. (I like my cars "raw".)

    My car use rotates among my four toys (youngest 1979, oldest 1958): Moke, Djet, R8 & 4CV. Despite my best efforts (2 have roll cages, 3 have 4-point harnesses, each has very careful attention to suspension modifications & tyre choice) I realise that, despite their exemplary primary safety (short of ABS which I'd retrofit if I could) I have much less chance of surviving a crash than in a modern car. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving them & not being irritated by the attempted replacement for my autonomous judgement which seems part of modern vehicles.

    YMMV, Peter
    A few years back a mate had a restored Moke - Cooper S 1310 motor and no weight meant it went pretty well. It was only when we were driving along and I realised I had my hand on the petrol filler cap that I realised how far modern car design had come.

    We always had a laugh in it though as we felt a lot safer wearing our helmets when driving in it !

    Cheers

    Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    When I realised how far above the plane connecting the highest front/rear points I stuck up, I designed & commissioned a well-braced
    full cage made from heavy gauge aluminium tube (scaffolding tube). Even so, it's light & a warmish single DCOE 1330 engine motivates it well enough.

    I rather like being able to reach across & check that I haven't left the fuel cap at the petrol station. I also have a marked wooden stick as an accurate fuel gauge (memories of the Series ll A Land Rovers I drone in the army & their "petrol gauge" dip sticks). Not a lot can go wrong with a wooden stick & I don't even need a part # to replace it :-)

    cheers! Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •