Removing MI16 Head. Torx t55?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Removing MI16 Head. Torx t55?

Just about to remove the head on the S16. Cant seem to locate my Torx bit to get it off. Is i the T55 im after or T50? 2.0l Mi16 FWIW

Cam

Advertisement
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

T55, buy SnapOn.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Snap on is the only way to go, although they might only have a t55 in 3/8 drive.

When I did my bolts, I used a snap on t55 and 3/8->1/2 converter with a snap on 18 inch breaker bar... Broke two no-name t55's and a 1/2 inch breaker bar from a decent name before I went to snap-on.

Good luck, and don't sweat if you break bolts

Where can i buy snap on from?
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

I have both 1/2" and 3/8" SnapOn T55's. The only issue with the 1/2" model is that you need to turn down the OD so it fits in the head. I can do that for you. Ring SnapOn and they will send around the local rep in a van.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hey Pete.

I work next door to the Lamborghini garage in Darlinghurst. Dropped in there this arvo for a chat with the young apprentice and he lent me one. Ill buy one for down the track but until then ill try not bent the Lambo one!

Should have a pick or two up tonight of the head.....

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Anyone interested in what happened tonight with the head removal have a look in the technical section

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Cameron - I owe you for identifying this same tool bit earlier this week when I was almost shafted on the Hume Highway south. Scary to hear that they can be busted. My close mate is a SnapOn franchisee, but I hadn't considered going ultra-tech. Just after the mishap, I met the local SnapOn guy in Euroa, but at that stage I didn't know the precise size. But snapping bits as well as a breaker bar! As you noticed recently at my place, I have been pulling apart a crunched Gti 180, and in the course of that, was astounded how much torque is on those caliper bolts; must be 70 ft/lbs (500Nm ?) on quite a small area. In my emergency, I used a bit from a set I bought in Bunnings at Broadmeadow Vic (Kinchrome) with a 3/8 ratchet directly on the bit, which was embedded in a socket. No extensions, and half a metre of pipe. They are really tight (and have an interference thread just for good measure) but once I cracked them it was just a stiff half turn at a time 'til they slacked a bit and wound out.

Quote Originally Posted by 306cabmad View Post
    Hey Cameron - I owe you for identifying this same tool bit earlier this week when I was almost shafted on the Hume Highway south.

Scary to hear that they can be busted. My close mate is a SnapOn franchisee, but I hadn't considered going ultra-tech. Just after the mishap, I met the local SnapOn guy in Euroa, but at that stage I didn't know the precise size. But snapping bits as well as a breaker bar!

As you noticed recently at my place, I have been pulling apart a crunched Gti 180, and in the course of that, was astounded how much torque is on those caliper bolts; must be 70 ft/lbs (500Nm ?) on quite a small area.

In my emergency, I used a bit from a set I bought in Bunnings at Broadmeadow Vic (Kinchrome) with a 3/8 ratchet directly on the bit, which was embedded in a socket. No extensions, and half a metre of pipe. They are really tight (and have an interference thread just for good measure) but once I cracked them it was just a stiff half turn at a time 'til they slacked a bit and wound out.
    See..... THE RETURN KEY!!!! - - how was that for shouting!!! (see other thread)
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Thread Information