my 505 has had its service
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

my 505 has had its service

Got it done at Universe Motors in Richmond - I was actually very impressed. Dad brought it home, and its definately running a lot better than before, even the steering feels better.

Advertisement

Things they've noted for us to get done are:
    *Oil leack from rocker cover gasket
    *Front muffler rubber mount broken
    *Castor bar bushes worn
    *Outer Tie rod ends worn
    *requires front brake pads (I assume they mean replace )
    *rear tyres low in tread (thats ok, I wanted to get lower profile 195/70s anyway)
    *recommend distributor cap and ignition leads be replaced
    *hand brake calipers not activating - require replacement.

well, the last one is serious, the handbrake barely works - we were quoted $400 for the new calipers. Does this sound right?

So what do you guys think of this report? The mechanic said it was one of the best condition 505GRs he's come across.

Any suggestions on what you think should be done sooner rather than later?

thanks!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm
    forgot to ask - should i leave the warm air intake on the air filter, or isn't it benificial at all?

In Melbourne we got some pretty cold mornings, but does it really help?

thanks

<small>[ 15 May 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I hope your going to at least do the Rocker cover gasket yourself ??

That is a REALLY easy job

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

The $400 sounds about right for the calipers, Nick. Its the same price my daughter paid for a very similar job on a 504 last year (at a brakes franchise). If you can get a place with Peugeot experience to do it for that, then do. I had to subsequently sort out problems with handbrake adjuster set-up on my daughters car.

Have a look at the thread here on 504 brake calipers as well though. The issues are much the same.

Get the suspension bushes sorted out as soon as you can too, or you'll be wearing out the front tyres as well. Make sure you get a wheel alignment done as part of the deal.

The rocker cover gasket is definitely a "home" job.

I pulled the warm air intake off my daughter's 504 because it was rattling. Didn't seem to have the slightest effect on starting or general operation (even in chilly Hurstbridge! - the coldest overnight temperature we've had here was -11celsius!)

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 16 May 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information