306 XSi Engine Mount
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 306 XSi Engine Mount

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post a message about 306 2L engine mounts.
    On the way home yesterday heading up the Hume Hwy, somewhere near Goulburn I heard a big racket coming from just the other side of the firewall, on the driver's side under the bonnet. I had an idea of what it would be... a broken engine mount.

I dropped in to Paul Vassallo this morning, and he found the mount was ok but a little loose. Pulled the top mount out and found a piece of metal about the size of a 20c piece had been torn out of the body work. He's welding it up now, with lots of strengthening. Lucky for me he's got an otherwise quiet day. Paul said he's done the same to quite a few cars.

After doing some searching on Google, it seems to be quite a common problem on the more powerful 306 engines. It's exacerbated by having lose mounts as there is then more flex whenever you accelerate or decelerate.

Mine probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't done around 300km in it to get home. Thankfully it didn't happen 900km from home!

Advertisement

Bit of a pain in the bum after such a good trip away...

Derek.

1000+ Posts

OK well it's all sorted now

Derek.

Yay! Cost you much?

Hmm, never heard of this. Were your findings mostly N5's or both N5's and N3's?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Hmm, never heard of this. Were your findings mostly N5's or both N5's and N3's?
    Linc,

Cost $198 (3.75 hours labour)
    Dad & I found stuff on a UK forum about it. I'd have to ask him which one. I think it was mainly N5's
    N3's could be more susceptible though, as Paul said the N5 got a re-design of the top mounting location in the body. The power/torque of the 2L engines essentially stresses the metal too much.

The engine's now sitting marginally higher than it was when I put the new exhaust on so the exhaust now hits something as you pass through 3000rpm. I'll undo it all and then do the flanges up again. Doing that makes it sit where it wants to, rather than where the motor now wants it to.

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i posted up on a thread somewhere about XSi's having this trouble quite a while ago
    i forget where i found but will endeavour to find out again
    as far as i can remember only the XSi's had the trouble
    S16's and GTi-6's didn't seem to be affected but the cracking of the weld that hold the nut for where the engine mount bolts
    it is a simple fix but it is something that needs to be checked and to keep an eye on
    where i found it had pics and the whole john dory on it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

ntrx (Adrian) here has had this problem with the GTi6

1000+ Posts

hmmm as of today I have a noisy exhaust.

I'll investigate later in the week. I hope it's not a broken pipe somewhere due to driving the car with the mount torn out of the body on the way home from Victoria. Just popping my head under the car today it sounds like it might be leaking exhaust gases at the flange joining the cat to the front muffler.

Car's too low to get under and listen without putting it up on ramps/blocks. If there's one disadvantage of an XSi is you *always* need to get out the ramps or the jack and blocks to get under it!

Derek.
    (edit) Found your post Pugrambo
    funny clunky noise
    Last edited by DeKa; 17th November 2003 at 02:56 PM.

DeKa

Did you have any warning of your engine mount problem? In the past week I've noticed a few odd noises from somewhere under the bonnet of my XSi when backing in and out of tight parking places, ie at full steering lock.

Renweave
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa

Car's too low to get under and listen without putting it up on ramps/blocks. If there's one disadvantage of an XSi is you *always* need to get out the ramps or the jack and blocks to get under it!

Derek.
    [/url]
    Think yourself lucky, to get my car up on stands I need to jack the car up 1inch with the normal jack, slide 2 trolly jacks under the subframe behind the engine, jack it up as high as it will go, then squeeze the ramps under the wheels.

I know it would of been easier to have some wooden ramps up onto the metal ones, but I didnt have any which would work right.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Derek,

The engine pipe coupling (flexible joint between headers and the engine pipe that connects to the CAT) has failed in my GTI6. Apparently the round "washer" ($35 from peugeot) can fall apart and cause both flanges to sit on top of each other. In my 306 the rattling would begin at 3200rpm and end about 3800.
    The E&A motors fixed it charging me about $90 in labour.

The noise was similar to the badly matched resonator and had a revarborating type sound to it.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renweave
    DeKa

Did you have any warning of your engine mount problem? In the past week I've noticed a few odd noises from somewhere under the bonnet of my XSi when backing in and out of tight parking places, ie at full steering lock.

Renweave
    Hi Renweave,

No, not one bit of warning. I was on the Hume Hwy near Goulburn, heading into Sydney at the time. I had given the car a bit of a workout at the Peugeot Car Club of VIC DECA Day (Motorkhana) but had done 1000ish trouble and noise free kilometres since then so I do doubt as to whether it was related.

The noise I had was completely related to do with power, not steering position. There was also heaps of drive train shunt (when you ease the throttle on you would feel a distinct transition, and the same when easing off the throttle). When you had the power on there was a horrible grating type noise. The more throttle the louder and worse it was. Under 100km/hr (3000rpm 5th gear) it was barely noticeable so I just drove home at 1000km/hr.

If you're worried it's engine mounts, get someone who knows what's a normal amount of movement to lever the engine mounts with a bar and see what they think. Your noise however, doesn't sound like engine mounts. Is it a cluckety-clunkety-clunk (super technical term here) - that would more likely be a CV joint at full lock. Either way, not particularly expensive to fix.

tekkie,
    I'll investigate - thanks

Brad,
    Now that you mention it, the XSi I cannot get up normal ramps either!! I have to use a piece of 4x2 laying across in front of the ramp, with a ~500mm long peice of 6x2 on top of it so I can get the front bar to clear the ramps. Once the wheels are on the ramps it's ok though. It really makes me feel for andreas who couldn't even fit a jack under his 405Mi16.

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

I'll investigate later in the week. I hope it's not a broken pipe somewhere due to driving the car with the mount torn out of the body on the way home from Victoria. Just popping my head under the car today it sounds like it might be leaking exhaust gases at the flange joining the cat to the front muffler.

Derek.
    (edit) Found your post Pugrambo
    funny clunky noise
    Thank you Derek
    i knew i had put it somewhere
    It was something that i had seen and posted but for the life of i didn't know where
    The engine mount cracking is a common problem that was found in the UK
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hmm Now that you mention it, Jacking up Andreas' old car now is a bitch, and he got it raised before he sold it to me. I think i had to go through about 5 different jacking points before i could finally get teh jack out from under neath the car...
    But all said, it is definately worth it
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

I apparently have a crack where the engine mount bolts on to the subframe.
    I noticed a knocking sound when driving and thought it was the CV, but Regan's told me it was cracked and they had seen a few. They referred me to a few panel shops.

Its been almost 12 months and i havent had it welded up yet, to be honest i dont hear it knocking anymore. i do have intentions to get it seen one day tho

tekkie,
    I'll investigate - thanks

Derek.
    Derek,

any news with the exhaust?

1000+ Posts

Yeah, I've found the problem.

It's where the centre section of pipe joins to the rear muffler.

The pipe doesn't quite mate to the rear muffler properly. If I had a scanner here at work I'd draw a diagram to explain it. It gets louder as it gets hotter... I've taken it off before, and filled the join with muffler putty and that fixed it for a few months.

What I'm going to do this weekend is drop the entire exhaust, from just behind the Cat, and back. I'll then join the rear muffler to that pipe so the join is mated as it should be, and put it back in the car and measure how much out it is. After that, I'll heat the pipe up, bend it to the right location (fingers crossed!) and hopefully put the pipe back in and bingo.

Derek.

After that, I'll heat the pipe up, bend it to the right location (fingers crossed!) and hopefully put the pipe back in and bingo.

Derek.
    sounds like a diferent problem to what I had.

Is your exhaust factory OEM ? Funny how it doesnt match up?

can you put a heat resistant washer in there... similar to exhaust manifold expanding gaskets?

1000+ Posts

It's supposed to be. Paul V. went to the effort to get an OEM exhaust - it took 3 or 4 days for it to come in. The pipe comes in at *just* the wrong angle.... so when it mates up on one side, it's about 2-3mm out on the other side. There's no way to make it mate up when the system's on the car - I've tried jacking it to the position and then doing up the flange bolts as tight as I can, and its fine for a while but the vibration of driving makes it move enough to become noisy again

Derek

1000+ Posts

Here is an image from Peugeotlogic.com of the crack around the engine mount. This could even be of my car?? It's the right colour and the cracks are identical as far as I can see.

Derek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 XSi Engine Mount-chass2.jpg  

This could even be of my car?? It's the right colour and the cracks are identical as far as I can see.
    I believe our helpful rep from peugeotlogic.com is from Northshore European Cars - did your car have work done there with its previous owner?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

No, all the stamps in the book are from Randwick Peugeot (can't remember the dealer company name).

Derek.

1000+ Posts

Just an update to this thread.
    Had my car in for its regular service today - engine mount was a bit loose again (although this time it was the mount itself, and not the bodywork).

Paul cut out a "washer" of sorts of compression rubber and put it on the bodywork to tighten the mount down into, and then glued a few shims of compression rubber to the side of the mount to reduce its absolute movement relative to the body.

No more funny noises now

Derek

Thread Information