Thirtieth Anniversary
  • Register
  • Help

Default Thirtieth Anniversary

Thirty years ago today I drove out of Borgelt's, Norwood SA, in a new Peugeot 504 GLD. Today, that same car is still in the driveway, having covered 300k kms as a daily commuter, family holiday tourer and now as an occasional daily driver. The brown-haired young man on that day is now a grey-haired retiree and the 18-month old baby in the back seat now has children of her own. Two other children from that time have driven the car that brought them home from hospital.

Several times I have thought of selling it and updating to a newer Pug, but it's always been the "other" family car that has been sold. I have never been able to bring myself to do it to the 504 and probably never will.

Advertisement

After 30 years we both have bits that don't work as well as they once did and we both have to take it a bit easier, but we're both still travelling well and long may it continue.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

This loyalty?...to a "thing", an "object" ... I find it fascinating....

dino

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I understand perfectly . Stick to it. I'm still a brown-haired young man and I've only been driving 504s for 8 or 9 years but I couldn't imagine being without one.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information